Windows 10: win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive

Discus and support win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; why does win10 not recognize my usb flash drive anymore ( I cannot save copied files in my usb portable flash device) ?? thanks R. 10/9/2018 10.20... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rgQG, Sep 11, 2018.

1. rgQG Win User

win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive

why does win10 not recognize my usb flash drive anymore ( I cannot save copied files in my usb portable flash device) ??

thanks

R.

10/9/2018

10.20 PM EST

:)

2. PhilW Win User

OS doesn't recognize USB flash drives (KB4056892)

Just completed Win10 update KB4056892 on my Sony laptop, now running v.1709, build 16299.125. Almost everything is fine except the system no longer recognizes USB flash drives. When a flash drive (USB2 or 3) is inserted in a port the Device Manager recognizes it as "Other Devices", lists what it is (for example "TOSHIBA TransMemory USB Device") but says under Properties: "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) There are no compatible drivers for this device." When I try to update the driver, the Update Drivers feature says "Windows could not find drivers for your device." Device Manager shows no problems under Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

I know the drivers for flash drives are somewhere in the system because I have used these ports and flash drives many times prior to KB4056892, but I don't know where they are or how to tell the OS where they are. Suggestions would be appreciated.

PhilW, Sep 11, 2018
  3. USB flash not being recognized

Even rebooting won't make my Windows 10 Home program recognize a USB flash drive plugged into any port of the computer. I've tried three different flash drives, including two that are new and one that plays in the car. I don't get that musical note that tells me the computer recognizes something that has just been plugged in.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what's going on and how to solve it. Thanks, Larry

larrydonline, Sep 11, 2018
  4. sirrah13 Win User

i bought a 32gb flash drive from china n win10 wont recognize it

Hi Mike,

I'm not qualified to give a specific answer; but, if you have not yet, I suggest you google 'fix mass USB storage in Windows 10'. Your problem is fixable.

sirrah13, Sep 11, 2018
Thema:

1. win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive - Similar Threads - win10 does recognize

2. Create a Recovery Drive does not recognize my USB flash drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create a Recovery Drive does not recognize my USB flash drive.: Create a recovery drive does not recognize my USB flash drive. The flash drive appears in file explorer and is formatted and is 64GB. I have tried several drives and get the same problem....
  3. Create a Recovery Drive does not recognize my USB flash drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create a Recovery Drive does not recognize my USB flash drive.: Create a recovery drive does not recognize my USB flash drive. The flash drive appears in file explorer and is formatted and is 64GB. I have tried several drives and get the same problem....
  4. Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives

Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives: I am trying to create a recovery drive for a brand new Dell computer running Windows 11 and keep getting this error with different flash drives: "Connect a USB flash drive. The drive must be able to hold at least 32 GB, and everything on the drive will be...
  5. Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives: I am trying to create a recovery drive for a brand new Dell computer running Windows 11 and keep getting this error with different flash drives: "Connect a USB flash drive. The drive must be able to hold at least 32 GB, and everything on the drive will be...
  6. PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive: PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-doesnt-recognize-usb-flash-drive/0a95f9d2-6968-4325-8c66-0e87374ede1e
  7. PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive

PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive: PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-doesnt-recognize-usb-flash-drive/0a95f9d2-6968-4325-8c66-0e87374ede1e
  8. flash drive not recognized

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    flash drive not recognized: Drive less month old...would put movie files on it then plug into my tv to stream...one time was transferring data to the drive got this error message in this picture....and other picture drive F.....
  9. Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized: I have a 16GB USB Flash Drive I was using for saving "File History" documents, favorites, etc.. It appeared to be working, but later I got a message about running out of space on the drive. I formatted the drive and that appeared to be successful, then tried to use it...
  10. Laptop does not recognize USB flash drives or transfer cable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop does not recognize USB flash drives or transfer cable: My laptop does not recognize USB flash drives, external drives, or my data/transfer cable. Problem discovered when I needed to move files from this laptop to another and nothing worked. USB mouse (wired or wireless) works though. When I plug in a flash drive, it detects it,...