Windows 10: Win10 does not start (after changing internal SSD)

Discus and support Win10 does not start (after changing internal SSD) in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello, I have a China tablet which has Windows 10 and an internal SSD. I replaced it with a bigger SSD (M2 S-ATA) but inside of BIOS it doesnt get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Stefanos, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Stefanos Win User

Win10 does not start (after changing internal SSD)

Hello, I have a China tablet which has Windows 10 and an internal SSD. I replaced it with a bigger SSD (M2 S-ATA) but inside of BIOS it doesnt get recognized. (Yes, the China tablet also uses S-ATA, not Nvme) When I want to install Windows 10 (from USB disk, created with Media Creator), it DOES find the new SSD but doesn't format it. I cloned the old SSD to the new one with Macrium Reflect (using another device), but the tablet does not boot from the new SSD. Instead, only BIOS gets opened. Inside of the Boot options I only see Windows Recovery (or a USB stick, if connected). Now my last hope is trying to use some USB boot manager which allows me to boot the SSD. (Similar as if you had Linux and Windows installed.) Do you have any suggestion what to use and how to use it? I tried Hiren's Boot CD (USB version), but it runs instantly its pre-installed USB Windows 10. I didn't see any real Boot menue where I could actually choose MY Windows 10. Thanks for any help and best regards!

:)

Stefanos, Aug 6, 2021
  2. Josh_922 Win User

Win10 clean install on Samsung SSD 850 EVO

BLUF: SSD is not listed ubder "Where do you want to install Windows?"

Steps Complete:

1. I've create a Win10 bootable install usb.

2. I connect the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO via SATA.

3. I reboot PC and verify SSD is seen by the motherboard/BIOS

4. Begin Win10 install via usb.

5. Get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" and the SSD is not listed

Problems:

1. Samsung does not offer a driver for the 850 on their website

2. Cannot locate driver elsewhere

Unsuccessful Mitigations Steps Attempt:

A. Format & partition SSD via Windows Disk Management, then retried steps 1-5 above....same result

B. Clone existing HHD onto SSD via "Image for Windows" by TeraByte, then verified SSD contents via Windows Explorer....similar result

Can you please offer some advice on locating a driver for a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB drive? Or an alternative method?

Thank you

Josh_922, Aug 6, 2021
  3. goodbot Win User
    Again... Win10pro Won't Allow Ownership Change On Internal SATA SSD...

Image already added
    I tried out the "clean boot' methodology (as I understood the linked instructions)... first on my same hardware config (without disconnecting everything as you suggested). Immediately I had a problem with signing back into the rebooted OS... the front pretty
    screen came up (with the date and time in the lower left corner), but no (center screen) password prompt. I tried rebooting a few times to see if there might be some other option to get to the password prompt, but no success. Eventually I walked away from
    the machine to get a bite to eat in another room. When I came back about a half hour later, the password prompt was waiting for me... I entered my correct password and got in. Once in, I confirmed that little if anything had loaded up in the background...
    only a few MS exe's seemed to be running. I opened the standard MS File Manager... and got the same permissions error attempting to do a folder listing on the internal SATAIII attached SSD.

I'll next try to follow your directions by repeating the Clean Boot, while also disconnecting all the drives. I'm a little confused by your instructions to disconnect all of my external usb drives as I'm not having any detectable troubles with any of these...
    they all appear to be working fine. Also, I think that this problematic internal SSD also behaves OK when connected via the external usb channels - I need to confirm this. I've also tested a standard HDD (that connects OK via the external usb channels)
    on the internal SATAIII port (to test the port and it's wires/plug), and it worked fine. So as best I can tell at this time, I'm only seeing this problem with this one SSD attempting to use it via the internal SATAIII motherboard plug.

I can't practically "plug" this SSD into the internal SATAIII port while the OS or machine is running... this must be done in a quiescent state between boots... (it's a big hassle opening the rear of this "business grade" notebook... requiring removal of
    nine small but long torx screws... the process takes 10-15 minutes). All while in the same "clean boot" config (with all external usb devices disconnected) I'll boot up with the SSD removed from the internal SATAIII port... shutdown, reconnect the SSD to
    the internal SATAIII port... reboot and see if there is any change.

Does this step-by-step meet your proposed test/resolution? If not, please further clarify your proposal for me.

Thank you!

goodbot, Aug 6, 2021
  4. user33331 Win User

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Aug 6, 2021
Thema:

1. Win10 does not start (after changing internal SSD) - Similar Threads - Win10 does start

2. Internal SSD not showing after Bitlocker error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internal SSD not showing after Bitlocker error: I had reinstalled windows and everything was fine both SSD cards were working normally then when installing steam games I noticed sudden windows performance issues.As I looked deeper it showed that bitlocker was getting stuck decrypting the SSD cards and becameStuck the...
  3. Internal SSD not showing after Bitlocker error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internal SSD not showing after Bitlocker error: I had reinstalled windows and everything was fine both SSD cards were working normally then when installing steam games I noticed sudden windows performance issues.As I looked deeper it showed that bitlocker was getting stuck decrypting the SSD cards and becameStuck the...
  4. Activation after SSD change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation after SSD change: Hi,I have changed my SSD and did a new install of wn11 but couldnt activate it.I tried everythig I have found on microsoft support except activate by phone...I cant find that option on my PC cant reach it even by wn+R and slui 4.I did many reinstalls in the past without any...
  5. Activation after SSD change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activation after SSD change: Hi,I have changed my SSD and did a new install of wn11 but couldnt activate it.I tried everythig I have found on microsoft support except activate by phone...I cant find that option on my PC cant reach it even by wn+R and slui 4.I did many reinstalls in the past without any...
  6. Internal SSD HD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal SSD HD: I have an Asus which appears to have internally shorted out. The SSD HD has a ribbon cable attached. From what Ive been reading, I may be able to use this drive externally in a little case with a usb (sata-usb) device. Is this possible? The windows 10 operating system also...
  7. Start Menu Does not open after changing ownership

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu Does not open after changing ownership: The start menu, items in the item tray and built in apps like photos will not work after i took ownership of the whole c:. I did not do anything with this permission just simply doing that change caused this. Also changing it back did not fix it. Making a new user account...
  8. BSoD Internal Power Error after changing SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSoD Internal Power Error after changing SSD: Hi, I recently changed my SSD on my laptop. But now, every time my laptop is rebooting or wakes up, i have the BSoD saying i am encoutering a internal power error after what my laptop needs to reboot. I already tried methods like: - Reinstalling windows - Updating...
  9. How change Start Button Win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How change Start Button Win10: Hi. How can change the start button from windows 10? I install some themes, like this: Katt Mix Theme For Windows 10 RTM by cu88 on DeviantArt But some themes use mac or others starts buttons, I suppose it is in a dll, but no sure. 'Windows 7 start button changer'...
  10. Change these settings after clean install win10 on a new SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change these settings after clean install win10 on a new SSD?: Greetings. After some troubble with a few games and settings, I installed windows 10 pro on a SSD. I then got this list, which I was told to use as my PC is mainly a gamer-PC. Can you recommend me to use this list complete, or is it "too much"? I really can't see why I...