Windows 10: Win10 doesn't recognize SD-card removal

Discus and support Win10 doesn't recognize SD-card removal in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I never had this problem with Windows 7, nor with Windows 10 Pro after I upgraded. However, I recently replaced motherboard, etc in my system, and did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Gorlash, May 4, 2021.

1. Gorlash Win User

Win10 doesn't recognize SD-card removal

I never had this problem with Windows 7, nor with Windows 10 Pro after I upgraded. However, I recently replaced motherboard, etc in my system, and did a clean Windows 10 Pro installation on a new drive. Activation was successful with no problems. Now, if I plug an SD card into my USB3 external card reader and access it, then remove the SD card, Windows does not automatically realize that it has been removed. This causes confusion if I try to switch between SD cards. I checked the disk policy for that drive, and it is set to Quick Removal, not Better Performance. Is there some way I can get it to recognize disk removal automatically?? OS: Windows 10 [Version 6.3.19042]

:)

Gorlash, May 4, 2021

2. Win10 doesn't recognize SD-card removal

Could you provide a little more detail as to how you know that Windows is not recognizing the removal of the SD card? What are you seeing specifically that leads you to this conclusion?

Also, could you please try this:

Start with SD card inserted.
    Open a command prompt and run the command "diskpart". Wait for the "DISKPART>" prompt.
    Run the command "list disk".
    All disks (including the SD card) should be listed. It should be obvious which the SD card is by its size.
    Remove the SD card.
    Run "list disk" again.
    Does the SD card still show up?
    Run "exit" to exit from diskpart.
    Close the command prompt.

hsehestedt, May 5, 2021
  3. Gorlash Win User

Well, this is interesting...
    First, let me address DISKPART... I have the SD card inserted in the reader. I know it is inserted, because it shows up in Explorer, as SDHC (EWin10 doesn't recognize SD-card removal :). Here is a current drive listing from another program:

Code:
    The SD card is E: in this listing...

however, this is what DISKPART shows right now:

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.19041.610

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.
    On computer:

Code:
    So I'm guessing it is listing the drives in this order: C:, D:, F:, E:
    however, the free space listed is completely irrelevant.

> removal of SD card:
    Once I remove the SD card from the reader, it is *still* shown in Explorer.
    From a console, I can change to E:, can even execute DIR and get the listing for the no-longer-present drive.

*however* ... once I execute 'list disk' in DISKPART, the drive is removed from Explorer... interesting...

Gorlash, May 5, 2021
  4. Gorlash Win User

Just to add another data point, I tried this same operation with a different SD-card reader entirely, a Saicoo USB3 multi-card reader, and it has exactly the same issue; inserted cards are recognized with no problem, but when the card is removed from the reader, Windows doesn't ever seem to be aware that the removal has occurred...

This suggests to me, that the issue is with Windows settings, rather than device-driver configuration; most of these usb-adapter interfaces are years old, and use generic Windows drivers...

Gorlash, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Win10 doesn't recognize SD-card removal - Similar Threads - Win10 doesn't recognize

2. SD card reader doesn't recognize subsequent cards

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SD card reader doesn't recognize subsequent cards: About three weeks ago my Dell XPS 8920's SD card reader stopped recognizing subsequent cards.If I start the computer with a card inserted, I can view the card's data. The same goes for starting the computer without a card in the reader and inserting a card.But once I pull out...
  3. SD card reader doesn't recognize subsequent cards

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SD card reader doesn't recognize subsequent cards: About three weeks ago my Dell XPS 8920's SD card reader stopped recognizing subsequent cards.If I start the computer with a card inserted, I can view the card's data. The same goes for starting the computer without a card in the reader and inserting a card.But once I pull out...
  4. SD card reader doesn't recognize subsequent cards

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows doesn't recognize SD card when inserted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows doesn't recognize SD card when inserted: Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron running Windows 10 and it doesn't recognize/show an SD card when inserted. I have searched the Microsoft Community and many of the solutions start with locating the SD card in the device manager; however, my SD drive doesn't even show up in the...
  6. Windows doesn't recognize SD card when inserted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows doesn't recognize SD card when inserted: Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron running Windows 10 and it doesn't recognize/show an SD card when inserted. I have searched the Microsoft Community and many of the solutions start with locating the SD card in the device manager; however, my SD drive doesn't even show up in the...
  7. Windows doesn't recognize SD card when inserted

8. Win10 doesn't recognize SD-card removal

Win10 doesn't recognize SD-card removal: I never had this problem with Windows 7, nor with Windows 10 Pro after I upgraded. However, I recently replaced motherboard, etc in my system, and did a clean Windows 10 Pro installation on a new drive. Activation was successful with no problems. Now, if I plug an SD card...
  9. SD cards not recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SD cards not recognized: I have multiple computers that stopped showing SD cards. The file explorer doesn't see the cards and they will not auto open. Tried several cards, one computer says to insert a card, but when I do it doesn't see it. Cards are various sized Scan Disks and until today worked...
  10. recognize sd card?

in Windows 10 Customization
    recognize sd card?: Why won't my new HP computer with windows 10 recognize my sd card? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recognize-sd-card/ef515805-90db-433c-bfe0-66bc3facf4b7