Windows 10: Win10 Explorer doesn't refresh after creating a new folder

Discus and support Win10 Explorer doesn't refresh after creating a new folder in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; It seems this is a fairly common problem. At least for my ~5 different Windows 10 computers, it happens all the time. It's probably easiest to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jimhoyle, Feb 11, 2018.

1. jimhoyle Win User

Win10 Explorer doesn't refresh after creating a new folder

It seems this is a fairly common problem. At least for my ~5 different Windows 10 computers, it happens all the time. It's probably easiest to reproduce this problem by navigating any network share folder on Explorer and then creating a new folder. But it happens also on local folders. In Windows 7 I would use right mouse, New, Folder. Then I would quickly write my desired folder name, enter. Done. However, in Windows 10 what happens is one of the following:
    • The new folder doesn't even appear at all. I have to press F5 (refresh) to make it appear. Then if I rename, it still may not change the name and again I have to press F5 to see my new folder name (and if quickly navigating to New folder it of course says it doesn't exist because in reality I already renamed it).
    • New folder appears, but renaming causes the refresh problem mentioned above.
    • Everything works fine (except speed of updating seems sluggish compared to Windows 7).

What is the reason Windows 10 is so bad at this? Why are they not fixing this problem? This is one of the core functions in an operating system and it has gone so bad compared to fast and nicely working Windows 7. (There are also other similar slow/bad features in Win10 which is the reason I clearly prefer Win7 over Win10 even there are increasingly more compatibility issues for the dying Win7.)

One suggestion found was to uninstall all network adapters in Device Manager. I'm not sure if that fixes is, at least permanently. I'm looking for an answer why the problem occurs in the first place?

:)

jimhoyle, Feb 11, 2018

2. Windows Desktop/Explorer refresh issue, when I delete or move a file, the system doesn't refresh and everything remains where it was before the copy/move.

Original title: Windows Desktop/Explorer refresh issue,

Hi all.

I'm experiencing an issue using Windows 10 that I believe other people have reported for Windows 7. After a long search in the web, nothing works for me.

When in file explorer or even in the windows desktop, when I delete or move a file, the system doesn't refresh and everything remains where it was before the copy/move.

When trying to redo the operation, of course, the system says that the original file isn't available anymore.

In the trash can, when cleaning all the trash, the folder doesn't refresh.

Also when I try to create a new folder, the explorer doesn't show the usual "new folder" in edit mode.

As you can easily see, this is terribly annoying.

Anybody can help on this?

Many thanks in advance.

Artur

ArturGomesDGD, Feb 11, 2018
  3. PEREZIL Win User
    Explorer hangs after creating a new folder on a network computer [WIN 10]

A system restore is NOT going to find the cause of the problem. You are just setting the user for more headaches down the road.

Why not just diagnose, isolate, and FIX the ACTUAL issue? That is how you keep things running smoothly.

Patch babies

PEREZIL, Feb 11, 2018
  4. Win10 Explorer doesn't refresh after creating a new folder

Hi @jimhoyle

There might be NTFS file system errors which can cause the refresh problem. You might want to repair NTFS file system errors.

Please open the Command Prompt by typing cmd.exe into Start Menu, right-click on Cmd.exe, and open it as an administrator.

At the Command Prompt type: Chkdsk C: /F and press Enter key to schedule a C: partition error checking.

FreeBooter, Feb 12, 2018
Thema:

Win10 Explorer doesn't refresh after creating a new folder

1. Win10 Explorer doesn't refresh after creating a new folder - Similar Threads - Win10 Explorer doesn't

2. Windows 11 Explorer doesn't refresh when a new folder or file gets created - FIXED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Explorer doesn't refresh when a new folder or file gets created - FIXED: Uninstall OneDrive :-. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-explorer-doesnt-refresh-when-a-new/b0c86fc0-0ee5-4684-b4ab-f2964b3ed8e2
  3. Windows 11 Explorer doesn't refresh when a new folder or file gets created - FIXED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Explorer doesn't refresh when a new folder or file gets created - FIXED: Uninstall OneDrive :-. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-explorer-doesnt-refresh-when-a-new/b0c86fc0-0ee5-4684-b4ab-f2964b3ed8e2
  4. Explorer doesn't refresh when creating folders or files, why?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer doesn't refresh when creating folders or files, why?: I have a user who is having issues with his explorer on Windows 10 latest build. When creating folders or files, the explorer isn't refreshing and has to manually refresh to see changes made to the folder. I've tried numerous solutions and I was just wondering if someone has...
  5. Explorer doesn't refresh when creating folders or files, why?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer doesn't refresh when creating folders or files, why?: I have a user who is having issues with his explorer on Windows 10 latest build. When creating folders or files, the explorer isn't refreshing and has to manually refresh to see changes made to the folder. I've tried numerous solutions and I was just wondering if someone has...
  6. Explorer doesn't refresh when creating folders or files, why?

7. Onedrive folders doesn't refresh in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive folders doesn't refresh in File Explorer: File Explorer doesn't refresh automatically in my Onedrive synchronized folders. This is very annoying and it is happening exactly the same in both my home and my office computer, which are similarly configured. If the folder is not synchronized by Onedrive, File Explorer...
  8. Onedrive folders doesn't refresh in File Explorer

Onedrive folders doesn't refresh in File Explorer: File Explorer doesn't refresh automatically in my Onedrive synchronized folders. This is very annoying and it is happening exactly the same in both my home and my office computer, which are similarly configured. If the folder is not synchronized by Onedrive, File Explorer...
  9. Win10 Explorer doesn't refresh for new files or new folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Explorer doesn't refresh for new files or new folders: I have w10 1809 up to date, stock install, and my explorer window does not refresh when I download a file or unzip something. How do I correct this? 161885
  10. WIN10: DOES NOT REFRESH WHEN CREATING OR DELETING FOLDER

in Windows 10 Customization
    WIN10: DOES NOT REFRESH WHEN CREATING OR DELETING FOLDER: Hi, The problem is tha when a create a new folder, or delete one, I need to press F5 refresh in order to see the changes... Thanks a lot! Dante...