Windows 10: Win10 - External hard drive missing from disk management

Discus and support Win10 - External hard drive missing from disk management in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello,I have a problem with my external hard drive, WD My passport 2TO.I've been using it for about a year now on windows 10, and I never had a problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by OusNetsho, Nov 28, 2022.

1. OusNetsho Win User

Win10 - External hard drive missing from disk management

Hello,I have a problem with my external hard drive, WD My passport 2TO.I've been using it for about a year now on windows 10, and I never had a problem with it.Last week, I wanted to format my external HDD and switch to another file system because I couldn't read my disk from a Linux distribution. I saved all my files beforehand, fortunately. The native file system was exFat, and I did the quick format to NTFS.I don't know what happened next, but the disk disappeared after the format.Now, I can't access nor format it because it became corrupted i guess?. Each time i plug it into my computer,

:)

OusNetsho, Nov 28, 2022
  2. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Nov 28, 2022
  3. Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

http://support.lenovo.com/in/hi/

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Nov 28, 2022
  4. Win10 - External hard drive missing from disk management

external hard drive

Hi Chrpee,

If you can't find external hard drive on Disk management than the next step is using the diskpart via command line, please follow the steps below:-

On the keyboard hit ((Windows logo key + R key)) than type ((CMD))

Now the windows command line will appear, the next steps is to type ((diskpart))

After that type ((list disk)) to show you the list of hard disks with partitions

If you found your external hard drive one of the list than you need to type ((select disk number)), note: the number is a disk number

Once you selected the hard disk or partitions than type ((clean))

than type ((create partition primary))

than type ((select partition 1))

than type ((active))

than type ((format fs=ntfs quick))

than type ((assign))

last type ((exit))

Check if the external hard drive appeared, if not please see the link below for more info and let me know if you need any assist

https://uk.pcmag.com/dvd-burners/120624/what-to...

Abdirahman Issa, Nov 28, 2022
Thema:

Win10 - External hard drive missing from disk management

1. Win10 - External hard drive missing from disk management - Similar Threads - Win10 External hard

2. Win10 - External hard drive missing from disk management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 - External hard drive missing from disk management: Hello,I have a problem with my external hard drive, WD My passport 2TO.I've been using it for about a year now on windows 10, and I never had a problem with it.Last week, I wanted to format my external HDD and switch to another file system because I couldn't read my disk from...
  3. Win10 - External hard drive missing from disk management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 - External hard drive missing from disk management: Hello,I have a problem with my external hard drive, WD My passport 2TO.I've been using it for about a year now on windows 10, and I never had a problem with it.Last week, I wanted to format my external HDD and switch to another file system because I couldn't read my disk from...
  4. Hard Disk Drive Missing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Disk Drive Missing.: My Hard Disk Drive is Missing From My Laptop. Only SSD Is Shown. HDD Is not showing up In Disk Management and Device Manager. In File Explorer, Local Disk C Is Shown. Other Drives Like D, E and F are Missing. Even My Boot Is Slowed Down. Please Help Me ASAP....
  5. Hard Disk Drive Missing.

Hard Disk Drive Missing.: My Hard Disk Drive is Missing From My Laptop. Only SSD Is Shown. HDD Is not showing up In Disk Management and Device Manager. In File Explorer, Local Disk C Is Shown. Other Drives Like D, E and F are Missing. Even My Boot Is Slowed Down. Please Help Me ASAP....
  6. External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.: I have an external hard disk drive, with 2 partitions D261 GB, E437GB. Suddenly once the local diskE: is missing in file explorer, the local diskD: drive is still there. When I open disk management it shows only the D drive with 698GB as total space which is the total space...
  7. External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.: I have an external hard disk drive, with 2 partitions D261 GB, E437GB. Suddenly once the local diskE: is missing in file explorer, the local diskD: drive is still there. When I open disk management it shows only the D drive with 698GB as total space which is the total space...
  8. External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.

9. Hard drive is missing from disk management

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hard drive is missing from disk management: Hello , recently I was playing cod warzone on my laptop and then suddenly my it shut down and my drives except c disappeared and now it's not even starting up properly please help it's a new laptop submitted by /u/fattryingtobefit [link] [comments]...
  10. External Hard drive disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive disk: Shown as access denied. Location unavailable[IMG] Cannot open my Seagate external HARD drive disk of 1.5TB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-disk/d12073f2-eb0d-4add-bfb1-2f9e4cff21de