Windows 10: Win10 File Explorer hangs on MSOffice docs

Discus and support Win10 File Explorer hangs on MSOffice docs in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Brand new windows 10 installation, Dell xps-13 laptop. Trying to copy or move Excel spreadsheets (.xlsx) or Word Docs (.docx), the file explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MarkKrebs, Nov 30, 2018.

1. MarkKrebs Win User

Win10 File Explorer hangs on MSOffice docs

Brand new windows 10 installation, Dell xps-13 laptop. Trying to copy or move Excel spreadsheets (.xlsx) or Word Docs (.docx), the file explorer becomes unresponsive & must be closed.

I don't HAVE MSOffice, though it's preinstalled and if you try to OPEN one of these filetypes, it is able to generate a preview (and ask for a purchase).

All I'm trying to do is move / copy / backup these files.

It is all about the filename extension. Even simple text files renamed as .xlsx will hang the explorer, and conversely, renaming an Office document anything.txt will cause the move or copy operations to work just fine.

So some trigger in file explorer processing is reading the file extension and then trying to do something...

...un-good.

:)

MarkKrebs, Nov 30, 2018
  2. user33331 Win User

What is the latest stable build of Win10 ?

Does the Win10 update's "keep my files":
    1.) Remove Firefox Mozilla's saved user+pass list ?
    2.) Remove HP laptop's pre-installed drivers & programs like: HP utility, HP cool sense and such...
    3.) I have also a online-paid MsOffice 2013 and update probably removes it... Do I just pick the serial number and use it again ?

user33331, Nov 30, 2018
  3. n9mingg29 Win User
    File Explorer hangs on Windows 10

The hang up of file explore is still existed, after doing your suggestion. Please help.

n9mingg29, Nov 30, 2018
  4. Mark Isi Win User

Win10 File Explorer not loading

Hi Andrea,

To further assess the possible cause of this issue, kindly provide the following information:

• When did this issue start to occur?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have done so far?
    • Did you make any changes on the settings of your PC prior to this?
    In the mean time, we suggest trying SFC Scan and DISM as a first troubleshooting step. Feel free to check out this
    Wiki Article by
    ZigZag3143 for more information and steps on how to perform SFC and DISM.

Keep us posted for updates.

Mark Isi, Nov 30, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 File Explorer hangs on MSOffice docs - Similar Threads - Win10 File Explorer

2. File Explore hangs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explore hangs: Hi, since today, my File Explorer hangs whenever I select Download folder. The other folders are fine. My Windows 11 update is latest. I need to end the task in Task Manager. How might I resolve this probem?...
  3. File Explorer Hangs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Hangs: ***Please Read to the End*** There are a lot of fixes I have already tried. I am looking for New Ideas***I have a problem with file explorer hanging. Basically, it won't access any of my files. It will look like it's loading and then not actually load up any of the files....
  4. File Explorer Hangs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Hangs: ***Please Read to the End*** There are a lot of fixes I have already tried. I am looking for New Ideas***I have a problem with file explorer hanging. Basically, it won't access any of my files. It will look like it's loading and then not actually load up any of the files....
  5. File Explorer Hangs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How to open or share msoffice .acl autocorrectlist file in google docs

How to open or share msoffice .acl autocorrectlist file in google docs: how to open or share msoffice .acl autocorrectlist file in google docs * Moved from Community Participation Center * Original title: ms office and google docs...
  7. File Explorer HANGING

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer HANGING: Everytime I try to OPEN a file in FILE EXPLORER, it just HANGS, NOT RESPONDING.... Doesn't matter what kind of file whether PPT, TXT, doesn't matter... I have to END the TASK and it closes out entire FILE EXPLORER window. ANY Ideas? Was it any WINDOWS update? DID not...
  8. Win10 File Explorer Preview for Word Docs not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 File Explorer Preview for Word Docs not working: Hi, Software: Windows 10 and Office 365, both patched to date. Problem: File Explorer will not the preview of a Word document in the preview pane. It returns the error: "Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment." You click ok and then you do get a...
  9. File Explorer hanging

File Explorer hanging: Hi All, Have a customer that has new Win 10 machines (i7, 16GB, 512SSD) on 2 of the machines File Explorer is hanging frequently. Have does the usual stuff to set it to My Pc rather that Quick Access, cleared cahe etc but still does it. Quick fix is a script to kill...
  10. File explorer hangs

File explorer hangs: I'm a Windows Insider (build 18334) Since the latest 4 or 5 builds, file manager is behaving very badly. It takes up to ten or more minutes to build up the Quick Access list. Pictures folders often show white thumbs, green bar keeps rolling without success. Makes normal...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 open docs on network hangs