Windows 10: Win10 file explorer search filename length problem

Discus and support Win10 file explorer search filename length problem in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I think i found a bug in the file explorer search function of Windows 10 64 bit up to date but dont know the build.When I browse to a file on my usb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by deejayKylian, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Win10 file explorer search filename length problem

I think i found a bug in the file explorer search function of Windows 10 64 bit up to date but dont know the build.When I browse to a file on my usb harddrive NTFS which is 2 directories deep with a driveletter and filepath length of 12 characters i can rename the file to a total length of 255 characters including drive letter and filepath as supported.But when i search for this same file on my usb harddrive and try to rename the file within the search results, i can only type to a total filepath and filename length of +/- 150 characters.This way i'll have to remove characters from files t

:)

deejayKylian, Oct 12, 2021

2. Cannot Rename Files in File Explorer Search Results

Thank you for your reply, but it did not solve my problem, so the problem remains unanswered.

Restarting File Explorer had no impact on the problem, so I don't think it is a corruption issue. I have Windows 10 Home, so I have been
    FORCED to take all updates, with my computer forcibly restarted, losing all open work!

I did some more testing, to see if your location suggestion was closer. While some search results were fine, others posed problems.

It seems to be linked to the length of the filenames in Search Results. Longer filenames (not exceeding whatever supposed limit, as they can be edited outside of Search Results) cannot be edited, but shorter ones can.

Again, this appears to be a feature (BUG) in Windows 10 (possibly earlier versions as there has been a
    substantive reduction in filename lengths from XP/Vista to the later versions).

What are the filename length limits? And why do they vary from Search Results to File Explorer's standard directory listing?

Why can we not use filenames that we had in XP and Vista? Why have they been shortened? Why is the length limit inconsistent?

Regards.

LostInSpace88, Oct 12, 2021
  3. JeffCL Win User
    Searching for a string within a filename in File Explorer

I want to search a folder for filenames that contain the word "Committee". When in File Explorer, I type "Committee" into the Search field and hit enter. It finds (highlights in yellow) files that start with "Committee" but not the ones where "Committee"
    is embedded in the file name. For example:

• "Committee-Mission-Roles-and-Responsibilities" = finds it and highlights "Committee" in yellow
    • "19510701ListClubCommitteesReportDirectorsBW" = Lists this file but does not highlight "Committee" in yellow
    • "20150526MinutesBoard" = Lists this file because the word "Committee" is in the text of the file.
    Is there a way to do a search that lists only filenames that contain the word "Committee"? I don't want files listed if the word "Committee" is not part of the filename.

Moved from ( Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage )

JeffCL, Oct 12, 2021
  4. Win10 file explorer search filename length problem

Need routine showing how to change a 30 length character string in 10 WIN10 MSWORD.docx filenames at same time without using Windows 10 file Explorer.

Need routine showing how to change a 30 length character string in 10 WIN10 MSWORD.docx filenames at same time without using Windows 10 file Explorer.

Destinee58WM1, Oct 12, 2021
Thema:

Win10 file explorer search filename length problem

1. Win10 file explorer search filename length problem - Similar Threads - Win10 file explorer

2. Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer: I use ~<22 in File Explorer to search for images with filenames starting with '22' the year they were taken. Some images whose file names do not start with '22' are included in the result. They are of File Type 'Adobe Photoshop Image.22'Is there a way to prevent these...
  3. Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer: I use ~<22 in File Explorer to search for images with filenames starting with '22' the year they were taken. Some images whose file names do not start with '22' are included in the result. They are of File Type 'Adobe Photoshop Image.22'Is there a way to prevent these...
  4. Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Search Windows Explorer for Videos by length

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Windows Explorer for Videos by length: I want to search a given location for all videos less than 20 minutes long. I dont see how I can put that variable in. Just short medium long.......
  6. Search Windows Explorer for Videos by length

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Windows Explorer for Videos by length: I want to search a given location for all videos less than 20 minutes long. I dont see how I can put that variable in. Just short medium long.......
  7. Win10 file explorer search filename length problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 file explorer search filename length problem: I think i found a bug in the file explorer search function of Windows 10 64 bit up to date but dont know the build.When I browse to a file on my usb harddrive NTFS which is 2 directories deep with a driveletter and filepath length of 12 characters i can rename the file to a...
  8. Length Disappears in File Explorer Search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Length Disappears in File Explorer Search: Hi there... a problem just developed a couple of days ago with only one of my external drives where the length time of the file no longer shows when I run a Search by name, although I can still see the length of the same file once I get out of the Search and return the normal...
  9. Windows 10 - File explorer not search part of a filename

in Cortana
    Windows 10 - File explorer not search part of a filename: I expect that if I type an expression into the search bar in File Explorer, which primarily displays file names, it will be searched in the names of files with the CONTAINS method and not just StartsWith method. I have read this, but the problem has not been resolved:...
  10. Can't search zip files by filename in explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't search zip files by filename in explorer?: Have a folder with a bunch of zip files, if I search the folder I get no results even though I can see the file names. Example: I search for "blue" And the files in the folder are: blue.zip red.zip green.zip There are no results. What's up? submitted by /u/wozmatic...