Windows 10: Win10 file location permissions timeout setting? not screen or login timeout

Discus and support Win10 file location permissions timeout setting? not screen or login timeout in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've been experiencing an intermittent problem, starting several weeks ago. I'm not sure if it might have been the result of a Win10 update or an IT... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KERATL, Mar 4, 2020.

1. KERATL Win User

Win10 file location permissions timeout setting? not screen or login timeout

I've been experiencing an intermittent problem, starting several weeks ago. I'm not sure if it might have been the result of a Win10 update or an IT configuration change, so I'm posting here just to get ideas of what to check.

I leave my PC at my desk each night, turned on but locked. I often work on multiple documents over multiple days, so it is more convenient to leave my PC on, instead of shutting it down and then trying to remember the specific documents I was working on the next morning. I don't think I have administrator access to my own machine, but that is standard across my company. I don't think it matters, but I connect to our intranet via wireless.

Several mornings not every morning, I've come in, and logged on at the PC lock screen - the PC shows me as the logged in user on the lock screen, and only requires my password to unlock. If I had been completely logged out, I would have had to enter my User ID as well as the password.

Once in, all my files are still open, but I am unable to Save or SaveAs to my own PC desktop or documents folder. In fact, when a save or saveas fails, Office prompts me to save a copy in the local documents folder, whichalso always fails and starts a circle of it failing, asking me to save in the same documents folder it just failed at. All failed saves come with an error message indicating that I do not have save permissions to save in that location, including my own desktop or documents folder.

Save and SaveAs to our Sharepoint site also fails due to user security permissions, but I'm not focusing on that symptom because I think it is the same root cause, and focusing on the local drive eliminates a lot of potential troubleshooting of network connectivity, sharepoint credential timeout, or anything else.

If I close all the files and reboot, everything returns to normal. However, if I can't save changes to my open files, then that means I lose all the work since the last save not all documents are on autosave, for business reasons. I did learn that I can still save to a USB drive, although IT frowns on such things for security reasons.

Does anyone here know if there are any drive timeout settings that are separatefrom the overall login settings, or that wouldn't be refreshed when a user unlocks a PC? If I can figure out why this is happening, maybe I can get the setting adjusted by IT and eliminate a lot of wasted time and effort.

:)

KERATL, Mar 4, 2020
  2. Arul_D Win User

How to change the Screen Timeout settings

Hello,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Right click on the desktop and click on Personalization.

• Click on Lock screen

• On the bottom of the screen click on Screen Timeout.

• Under screen select the Time period accordingly.
    Reply us back with the status of this issue. We will be glad to assist you.

Arul_D, Mar 4, 2020
  3. How to extend or eliminate the timeout at sign in on an Acer Windows

Hi Lori,

To address your concern, we suggest that you adjust your screen timeout setting. It helps you set the time on how long before the screen will be locked due to inactivity.

You can follow the steps below on how to set your screen timeout:

1. Right-click on the Desktop, then choose Personalize.

2. Click Lock screen found on the left pane.

3. Click Screen timeout settings at the bottom part of the page.

4. Choose your preferred screen timeout on the drop down list under Screen.

Let us know the result.

Regards.

Michelle Her, Mar 4, 2020
  4. Win10 file location permissions timeout setting? not screen or login timeout

When will the Screen Saver and timeout functionality be operational in W10.

I have not had the Screen Saver or Timeout functionality available since I upgraded to WIN10 last year.

I tried all 3 Methods that were suggested and my screen saver and Timeout STILL do not work.

I can Timeout by pressing the Moon button on my new HP Keyboard.

I have an HP Pavilion 23 desktop computer.

Dave.Robinson16, Mar 4, 2020
Thema:

Win10 file location permissions timeout setting? not screen or login timeout

1. Win10 file location permissions timeout setting? not screen or login timeout - Similar Threads - Win10 file location

2. Login hangs after lock screen timeout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Login hangs after lock screen timeout: Suddenly on my windows 10 pro i cannot login anymore after lockscreen timeout. I am asked for password an I press my hello fingerprint sensor then the circle spins forever beside the Welcome message. Atough login works fine at boot up....
  3. Screen Timeout

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen Timeout: Set my screen timeout setting to never but it continues to return to login screen when not in use. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-timeout/922a0121-8016-481f-9e30-2d1706bfea99
  4. Screen Timeout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Timeout: Set my screen timeout setting to never but it continues to return to login screen when not in use. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-timeout/922a0121-8016-481f-9e30-2d1706bfea99
  5. Screen Timeout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Win10 Login screen idle timeout - how to change time?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 Login screen idle timeout - how to change time?: My Win10 PC will turn off the display if I boot the PC and let it idle on the Login Screen for a minute or two. How can I change that time? I want the display to remain active while sitting on the Login Screen. I've checked all the usual Power Management and local policies...
  7. Screen timeout

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen timeout: my screen times out in 1 minute? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-timeout/09d0bb22-1a16-4f0b-b02d-0960081325c9
  8. screen timeout

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    screen timeout: My screen timeout happens too fast- and then requires my windows password to reopen. how do I change this so no password is required https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-timeout/8121f633-242a-4b58-a4bc-d0a9987014da
  9. Screen Timeout

Screen Timeout: Just got new computer for work with Windows 10 Pro I believe. No matter how many articles and advice posts I read and try, my screen locks out in 2 minutes and you have to log back in. Someone please help, this makes me want to choke someone out all day...
  10. Lock Screen Timeout

Lock Screen Timeout: I have followed all the suggestions made by changes in the registry and in the power options but the timeout in my Windows 10 still remains at 1 to 2 minutes. Is it any way I can just turn off all the functions related to having the computer going to sleep? Any help will be...