Windows 10: Win10 - Fix improper System\Active\Primary Partition

Discus and support Win10 - Fix improper System\Active\Primary Partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, A friend recently upgraded to a SSD, but did NOT have a USB/Windows DVD. So I had her partition off some space using a laptop, which we then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by soulneffy, Feb 19, 2020.

1. soulneffy Win User

Win10 - Fix improper System\Active\Primary Partition

Hello,

A friend recently upgraded to a SSD, but did NOT have a USB/Windows DVD. So I had her partition off some space using a laptop, which we then put the setup files on. From there, we plugged in the SSD and setup Windows. Problem is, Windows 10 decided to play the System, Active, and Primary flags all on the Partition with the setup files, and I was hoping to find a way to remove that, so I can delete that partition and have her combine her hard drive back into one large partition.

Below is a picture of her Disk Management:
    Imgur: The magic of the Internet

As you can see, I would like to move over everything from the ESD-USB partition (System, Active, Primary) to the C: Partition. I tried setting C: to Active and ESD-USB to Inactive, and it caused the PC to be unable to boot (so I reversed it back to how it was).

I realize it's not something that necessarily needs to be fixed, but it'd be nice to fix it regardless.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

:)

soulneffy, Feb 19, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Feb 19, 2020
  3. Deleting a primary system partition

Here's my problem.

I had updated my win7 install to windows 10 and activated it.

I wanted to have a clean state so I've used the recovery available in win10. It went smoothly.

But I also had a d drive (in addition to the c, where win10 is installed) which strangely got its letter removed once win10 reinstalled, I gave the d back to it to get some files back.

I wanted to clean it but I couldn't format it because it's a system partition and I can't remove the partition to recreate it cleanly.

What's the fastest/easiest way to fix this?

ZoidbergForPresident, Feb 19, 2020
  4. scomage Win User

Exclude partition from system image.

I have two drives in my system.

Disk manager details - The first drive has 3 partitions:

• System Reserved (System, Active, Primary)
    • Windows 7 (Page File, Primary)
    • Data Partition 1 (Primary)
    The second drive has 2 partitions

• Windows 10 (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary)
    • Data Partition 2 (Primary)
    The first data partition has user profiles and shares used for both operating systems. The second data partition is just extra space to hold data temporarily.

This being said, I would like to create a system image with everything but the second data partition. However, it shows up as a system partition in the system image creation module. If fact, all the partitions except Windows 7 show as system and are default
    selected and cannot be deselected.

Why does the second data partition show as system? Can I remove the system attribute? I have made sure nothing on this volume is indexed and that it does not contain any page, hibernation, or other system files. One of the folders is compressed, but that
    is the only thing special on the volume.

scomage, Feb 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Win10 - Fix improper System\Active\Primary Partition - Similar Threads - Win10 Fix improper

2. Win10 Drive C partitions, what is the E partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 Drive C partitions, what is the E partition: I'm trying to prepare an old Win10 desktop for my granddaughter. Currently, there is only one drive in the desktop Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB. The above image shows that it has four partitions. What is the 2nd partition with the drive letter "E".Can the "E" drive be safely...
  3. Win10 Drive C partitions, what is the E partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 Drive C partitions, what is the E partition: I'm trying to prepare an old Win10 desktop for my granddaughter. Currently, there is only one drive in the desktop Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB. The above image shows that it has four partitions. What is the 2nd partition with the drive letter "E".Can the "E" drive be safely...
  4. Windows10 Booting Improperly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows10 Booting Improperly: I have owned a Walmart brand laptop for a couple years, recently out of the blue it crashed and booted to the BIOS. Now the computer WILL NOT boot to Windows unless I go through the BIOS and select 'Continue without changes'. If I select 'Save changes and continue' the...
  5. Cortana's improper functionality

in Cortana
    Cortana's improper functionality: Week ago I purchase a Headphone for better experience of windows features. In starting, it works fine and when I call her, she just do few of task and say "Sorry, I can't help with that." I'm fine with that but now today i call her she didn't respond and even can't search on...
  6. Improper Updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Improper Updating: Hi, My Windows 10/1079 keeps Updating 1803 and 1903, then regurgitating or crashing until I reset. Every reset ruins something and wipes needed Apps. The Updater automatically restores itself after being disabled in Services. Any ideas?...
  7. Problem with Cloning Win10 partition?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Problem with Cloning Win10 partition?: I used Macrium Reflect Free or Minitoll to clone system disks every time I need it, and usually it was without problems. In this situation it failed. I need to upgrade to a bigger disk 120>250. Both programs reported an error and failed to finish. Source disk is OCZ ssd and...
  8. Problem with Cloning Win10 partition?

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with Cloning Win10 partition?: I used Macrium Reflect Free or Minitoll to clone system disks every time I need it, and usually it was without problems. In this situation it failed. I need to upgrade to a bigger disk 120>250. Both programs reported an error and failed to finish. Source disk is OCZ ssd and...
  9. Improper ShutDown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Improper ShutDown: So, my desktop computer with Windows 10 installed has a problem shutting down properly. The usual process takes place and the monitor goes blank but the fans and lights on the CPU are still on. I have, to no effect, waited for more than 30 minutes hoping they'd go off...
  10. Disk partitioning, win10 installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk partitioning, win10 installation: [img] Hello. Can somebody explain me what EFI System Partition is doing? Should i remove it? I've tryied already to install win10 from USB multiple times. After installation, pc restarts and starts to display UNACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, or , if i insert USB again and click...