Windows 10: Win10 Fresh Install All Folders Are Read Only

Discus and support Win10 Fresh Install All Folders Are Read Only in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; New to Windows 10., pulled the SSD in my PC where I run Windows 7 Home Premium, I installed Windows 10 Home on a new 500GB SSD in its place. I am able... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Zoandar, May 19, 2019.

1. Zoandar Win User

Win10 Fresh Install All Folders Are Read Only

New to Windows 10., pulled the SSD in my PC where I run Windows 7 Home Premium, I installed Windows 10 Home on a new 500GB SSD in its place. I am able to install software, and installed a Xerox Simplex Combo Scanner which comes with Paperport 14 and several utilities. One of them is called ABBYY Fine Reader 12, and it is how the scanner gets the scanned image to the location of your choice to be saved. Works great on Win7. But here on Win10, it tells me I don't have permission to save in the folder I normally use for scanned things on one of the several drives I have in this PC. So I then discover that File Explorer shows EVERY folder on every drive as Read Only. Even the Public folder for my administrator user account!

Trying to un-check Read Only seems to go through the motions, even incorporating some kind of permission gathering for my administrator account. But the attribute always goes back to Read Only. Oddly, I can create new folders in the very same restricted "read only" folder that ABBYY refuses to use for saving. I've read web posts for hours trying all sorts of things and nothing is fixing this. Apparently this issue has some history in Windows 10, based upon all the online complaints. Is there a way to fix this? Most of the online solutions say to take steps with controls that do not appear on my PC, such as trying to issue application specific permissions. There is no link to click on for that with ABBYY FineReader. All attempts to set permissions to Full Access for my administrator account show it already has all of them turned on.

I am at my wit's end here. Thankfully I can still swap in the Win7 SSD and use my computer.

:)

Zoandar, May 19, 2019

2. *RESOLUTION FOUND*Malwarebytes crashing on Win10 insider Bld. Rootkit related errors?

Ill try tomorrow am.
    Aside from OS reinstall, your suggestion is one of the only steps I haven't taken yet.

Im gonna get some sleep and come at this with a fresh head tomorrow

Thanks everyone

jboydgolfer, May 19, 2019
  3. Read only folder

Hi Jim,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Do you want to change the permissions to certain program/folder?

• Have you signed in through Microsoft/Local account?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content.

Step 1: What is a read-only file or folder?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content. To change a file to read-only, right-click the file, and then click
    Properties. In the Properties dialog box, click the
    General tab, and then select the
    Read-only check box. To make changes to a read-only file, clear the
    Read-only check box, or save the file with a different name.

Step 2: Prevent changes to a file or folder (read-only)

Setting your important or personal files to read-only can help protect them from unintentional or unauthorized changes. When a file is set to read-only, it cannot be changed.

• Right-click the file or folder you want to set to read-only, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click the General tab, select the Read-only check box, and then click
      OK.
    If you need to make changes to the file or folder later, you can turn off the read-only setting by clearing the
    Read-only check box.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with this issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, May 19, 2019
  4. Win10 Fresh Install All Folders Are Read Only

All Folders Read Only

All folders seem to be listed as Read Only.

Do not have third party antivirus.

Yes, I already checked Permissions and Ownership

Yes, I have already followed every tutorial and suggestion on this site.

GryffinDarkBred, May 19, 2019
Thema:

Win10 Fresh Install All Folders Are Read Only

1. Win10 Fresh Install All Folders Are Read Only - Similar Threads - Win10 Fresh Install

2. All my folders are read only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All my folders are read only: Everytime I try to uncheck the folders they go back to read onlyto clarify a few thingsI am the admin of the computerI already did the SFC scan and nothing came outWindows defender folder control access is offhappens in more than one hard driveI tried several things online...
  3. All Folders are on "read-only" mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All Folders are on "read-only" mode.: All Windows 10,11, Server 2019.. folders are on read only mode. All Systems in our office. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-folders-are-on-read-only-mode/df794a53-a5e3-46de-a174-765d2571515e
  4. All Folders are on "read-only" mode.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All Folders are on "read-only" mode.: All Windows 10,11, Server 2019.. folders are on read only mode. All Systems in our office. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-folders-are-on-read-only-mode/df794a53-a5e3-46de-a174-765d2571515e
  5. All folders are marked read only.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All folders are marked read only.: I'm having issues where my version of Windows 10 is making all of my folders read-only and causing major access denied errors happen with some programs that need read and write access. [ATTACH] Its not a problem with the program its windows and as I'm running on Windows...
  6. all folders stuck as Read only

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    all folders stuck as Read only: i have full permision on my drives and folders but when u unfill the box that sets it to read only and open it again, it is filled in again. please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-folders-stuck-as-read-only/721bec54-5f29-43c8-9559-6f2a2065ea12
  7. All Folders Read Only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All Folders Read Only: Title explains it all. Every folder on my C:\ or D:\ drives is set to read-only. I am able to change that in the folder properties, but when I go back in after hitting apply it reverts to read-only again. I have tried changing the permissions on each drive, disabling...
  8. All folders are read-only

in Windows 10 Customization
    All folders are read-only: Just today I wanted to change the properties of one file in my music folder, but was unable to. After some digging around I found out that the folder it was in was a read-only folder, upon trying to uncheck the box, then closing it, it reverts itself to read-only. I have...
  9. All Folders Read Only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All Folders Read Only: All folders seem to be listed as Read Only. Do not have third party antivirus. Yes, I already checked Permissions and Ownership Yes, I have already followed every tutorial and suggestion on this site....
  10. all folders are read only

in Windows 10 Support
    all folders are read only: Today I discovered that all my files are read only. I had saved a spreadsheet yesterday, then today I went to open it and it said read only. Then I looked at other files and the read only box was checked. Even when I unchecked it, and closing the property box, when I opened...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fresh windows install read only permissions

2. w10 folders read only after reinstall