Windows 10: Win10 Fresh install black screen after the first restart

Discus and support Win10 Fresh install black screen after the first restart in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have decided to do a fresh windows 10 install on my laptop (dell xps17), I upgraded it a while back from win7 to win 10 and it ran fine. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tH3dOuG, Aug 2, 2018.

1. tH3dOuG Win User

Win10 Fresh install black screen after the first restart

Hi,

I have decided to do a fresh windows 10 install on my laptop (dell xps17), I upgraded it a while back from win7 to win 10 and it ran fine.

I created the installtion media through the windows iso download tool and am using a USB to do the install.

After booting to the USB via F12, formatting and deleting partitions selecting my SSD (I have also tried my HDD) the install starts, the first 4/5 sections complete and it says it needs to restart to continue the install. The system restarts and I get to a black screen with a flashing underscore in the top left corner.

I have tried the above on both my SSD and HDD and get the same result each time. I have tried the various repair features that are also on the installation media but none of them work (even CMD) as the installtion of windows isn't actually completed at this stage.

I've tried restarting the laptop (boot order is hdd1, hdd2, CD, USB) and still it just goes to the black screen with flashing underscore. When running the install again i can see at the partition screen that it has indeed installed what looks like most of an OS and as the recovery/system partition too. So it is getting most of the OS installed but just doesn't go any further after that first restart.

I don't see how this can be a hardware issue seeing as 5 minutes before i started the whole process, the laptop was working fine with windows 10.

Any ideas what I do next? New installation media? Throw the laptop at a wall a few times?

Thanks

:)

tH3dOuG, Aug 2, 2018

2. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Aug 2, 2018
  3. Computer randomly has black screen and restarts

Taco this could be software also. Before you get all crazy, do as Erocker suggested. Find out the error in the Event Viewer. Look for the faulting module and the error code itself. Also check the reliability monitor. At the bottom it will have "View all Error Reports". Post a screen of whats in there if anything.

This could be a simple as a bad driver install.

ALSO have you downloaded or installed anything lately? STAY OUT OF THE DAMN BIOS UNTIL WE KNOW THE ERROR! lol. I know you. Baby steps boy, baby steps.

TheMailMan78, Aug 2, 2018
  4. Zaspera Win User

black screen upon restart

i just installed drivers for a geforce 210..restarted for it to take effect and all i get on restart is a black screen after windows loads etc but the monitor is on..any idea what to do?

Zaspera, Aug 2, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 Fresh install black screen after the first restart - Similar Threads - Win10 Fresh install

2. Black screen after restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen after restart: When I was resetting the laptop after the reset was completed then at installation there was a request to restart the laptop and there's one issue earlier with the laptop that once it goes for power off while restarting it does not starts on its own is just shows black screen...
  3. Fresh pc screen goes black during first startup after installing windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fresh pc screen goes black during first startup after installing windows 10.: System configuration:Motherboard: GIGABYTE B550 Gaming X V2CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon RX 6600 XT NITRO+Memory: 1x G.SKILL 16GB Aegis DDR4 3200MHz CL16Power Supply: CHIEFTEC Eco GPE-600S 600WStorage: Kingston NV1 500GB M.2 PCIe SNVS/500GCase: AEROCOOL...
  4. Fresh pc screen goes black during first startup after installing windows 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh pc screen goes black during first startup after installing windows 10.: System configuration:Motherboard: GIGABYTE B550 Gaming X V2CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon RX 6600 XT NITRO+Memory: 1x G.SKILL 16GB Aegis DDR4 3200MHz CL16Power Supply: CHIEFTEC Eco GPE-600S 600WStorage: Kingston NV1 500GB M.2 PCIe SNVS/500GCase: AEROCOOL...
  5. Fresh pc screen goes black during first startup after installing windows 10.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Black screen on Win10 install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen on Win10 install: Hi I am trying to install Win10 on a Dell laptop that was previously running 8.1. After deleting the partitions and selecting the SSD for install, the installer gets to 1% complete before the laptop goes to a black screen with no cursor and backlight is on. Same issue occurs...
  7. Fresh install of win10 gives black screen after self-attempting to install display adapter...

Fresh install of win10 gives black screen after self-attempting to install display adapter...: Hello, I've attempted atleast fresh 5 installson 2 different harddrives,2 Different Graphic cards with windows 10, all of which end the same which isgetting stuck at a black screen. Farthest I have made it is the Desktop however after it attempted to install a display adapter...
  8. fresh win10 x64 pro install random freezing, black screen, no bsod

fresh win10 x64 pro install random freezing, black screen, no bsod: fresh install of win10 x64 pro from usb using the media creator tool. First off, I upgraded from win7 to win10, and the freezes with black screens started. I reformated, did a fresh install from USB, same thing happened. I assumed it might have been a failing hard...
  9. Black screen with cursor after install and first login

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen with cursor after install and first login: Just upgraded my bro-in-law's HP Pavilion desktop from 8.1 to 10. It's got an AMD processor, but I don't know which one exactly...probably one of the lower level ones. It was a refurb from Fry's, purchased a couple of months ago. It was running 8.1 just fine. The upgrade...
  10. Will it be upgrade first then Fresh Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will it be upgrade first then Fresh Install: hi if i missed the article on upgrading please forgive, when win 10 is finally available, i want to do a fresh install, so does that mean when it comes out i have to update first to get my license then start all over again to install a fresh copy? i always imaged my previous...