Windows 10: Win10, Hackintosh & Linux boot on windows machine

Discus and support Win10, Hackintosh & Linux boot on windows machine in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've been planning on installing Linux on my old Gateway laptop for some time now. It's a Gateway NE56R49U, with an I3, 4gb ram and processor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GarrukApex, May 22, 2016.

1. Win10, Hackintosh & Linux boot on windows machine

I've been planning on installing Linux on my old Gateway laptop for some time now. It's a Gateway NE56R49U, with an I3, 4gb ram and processor integrated graphics. I'd like to install Ubuntu, Kali Linux, OSX, and keep the Windows 10 install that is already on there. What is the best way to go about doing this? Where should I install the boot loader? I would like to use GRUB, but I'm not quite sure which partition to put it in. Do I need a Linux swap partition for both Kali and Ubuntu? How should I go about installing OSX for this multi-boot system?

Here is my current drive layout, with only a partition for Kali.
    Imgur

Thanks for all the help.

:)

GarrukApex, May 22, 2016

2. Plugged in not charging Windows 10

Well, I only have the choice of Linux, or turning my laptop into a hackintosh. Neither is a appealing prospect. So, I'm stuck using Windows.

JohnWCampbell, May 22, 2016
  3. (Very) slow boot - Windows 10 on a PCIe Toshiba SSD - Xiaomi Notebook Air

1 - there are no IDT sound devices

2- a reset had no effect on the slow boot times

My suspicion is that the BIOS was not playing nicely with the second PCIe SSD drive on which Win10 was living. Looking at the boot order options in the BIOS only showed Linux and a Windows UEFI loader that lived on the first SATA SSD drive.

I have now installed Win10 into a Virtualbox virtual machine running under Linux which is good enough for my purposes. It boots more or less instantaneously.....

professordes, May 22, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Win10, Hackintosh & Linux boot on windows machine

Be aware that installing any Apple OS on non Apple hardware is a violation of Apple's EULA.

LMiller7, May 22, 2016
  5. Do you have some unique piece of hardware that needs to be support natively by all of these OSes?

If not, leave dual-booting in it's grave. Virtualize all but the primary OS.

DeaconFrost, May 22, 2016
  6. badrobot Win User
    One thing is for sure. You'll spend more time fixing your bootloaders than using the OSes themselves. Every Windows 10 updates will come with headaches for you multi-boot setup.

badrobot, May 22, 2016
  7. ramram55 Win User
    I have been using linux mint with windows 10 on my windows PC, no problem, only with my macbook pro has problem dual boot, cannot install loader with linux. windows 10 with linux one distribution should be enough. IMO.

ramram55, May 22, 2016
  8. Win10, Hackintosh & Linux boot on windows machine

I know it's a violation of the EULA. I'm not sure about VMs because I don't want too much lag in the system. I need OS X for developing on IOS, as well as both Ubuntu and Kali for personal use. Could I just not update Windows? Wouldn't that solve the update problem? Thanks for all the responses...

GarrukApex, May 22, 2016
  9. I've run multiple Linux VMs on a system with less power and they always ran fine. I wouldn't suggest it if you were developing 3D models, but virtualization was designed for such things as coding on multiple platforms. Besides, a restore of a VM is extremely simple, and it won't muck up the primary/host machine.

DeaconFrost, May 22, 2016
  10. Thanks DeaconFrost, I think I'll definitely use a VM for OSX.

I'm pretty sure that I want to have a tri-boot then. Will this cause a ton of problems with windows? Should I use GRUB or another bootloader?

Should I write the bootloader to /dev/sda? And is there a way to get everything to work without switching between Legacy Bios and UEFI?
    Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a bit of a beginner to dual booting.
    Thanks for all the help.

GarrukApex, May 23, 2016
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

unless you actually need to run physical hardware why not as a previous poster says run your PRIMARY OS (for example Windows 10) then install either HYPER-V, Virtual Box or Vmware player and then run the other stuff as Virtual Machines.

Not sure if the Apple OS can be easily virtualised so apart from legal restrictions from Apple you could get that running as your primary OS and then use Parallels (not free though) to run the other OS'es under Apple OS as VM's - or I think Apple used to have a virtual machine program called Bootcamp --I've never tried it though.

Using VM's IMO is far better than any form of dual / multi-booting and you really these days should only multi-boot if you can't avoid it or really need to test specific hardware on a real machine. Most USB hardware - even quite complex stuff will run easily on a Virtual Machine.

Note also that provided your HOST GRAPHICS supports it Virtualisation CAN support 3D and hardware acceleration - although I wouldn't use a VM for testing out extensive gaming on a specialized GPU. I've run things like PHOTOSHOP very successfully on a Windows VM though.

If you really must dual boot / triple boot -- IMO Linux CENTOS is the easiest Linux distro to install without messing up the other OS'es -- in the setup simply choose which HDD's you want to install on and where you want the bootloader. If you put the bootloader on a separate HDD to Windows then your Windows system won't be touched at all and you just boot from your BIOS boot menu choosing the boot HDD.

Note you boot then from the BIOS boot menu. You can also change in the BIOS the default boot device so you only need to use the BIOS boot menu if you change the default boot device. This method IMO is far superior to messing around with individual bootloaders - especially as Windows doesn't play nice with other bootloaders.

If you only have ONE HDD then I'd avoid dual booting altogether and go for the Virtual Machine option.

CENTOS also runs quite nicely from an EXTERNAL USB HDD (or even a USB stick) quite nicely too -- if you have a USB3 HDD even better -- an old laptop HDD also makes a good device -- simply connect via SATA-->USB2 or USB3 connector. Response time will be fine - and if you have an old SSD even better. Most Linux distros also will run from external HDD's --the CENTOS setup though makes it simple to select the destination Disk(s) and bootloader so you don't need to touch other HDD's in the system.

If you do install CENTOS add package ntfs-3g to read and write ntfs (windows) files - this package isn't installed by default. If you install other distros check also as you will need that if you wish to read / write Windows NTFS files from your Linux system.

Most Linux distros will boot either UEFI or MBR - doesn't matter - but if you aren't using MBR then keep all the OS'es as UEFI. Turn off Protected Boot though.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 23, 2016
  12. I would still say virtualizing is your best bet. If you are going to do one, why not do them all as VMs? If you are a beginner to multi-booting, then it is the perfect time to skip it all together. One change in the bootloader, and you end up with three non-booting OSes. If you only have one host OS, then a repair is much easier to do.

Virtualizing is a much simpler process, and brings about many other benefits, such as being able to run more than one OS at a time...no reboots, etc.

DeaconFrost, May 23, 2016
  13. Win10, Hackintosh & Linux boot on windows machine

Yeah it is, but I still would like to experiment with dual booting. I think I'll use VM's for most of them, but I'd still like to hava a tri boot with Kali and Ubuntu. Would you recommend writing the bootloader to /dev/sda?

to jimbo45- I only have one HDD, and can't afford more. I'm not sure about Centos, as I kind of had my heart set on Ubuntu.

Thanks for all the help.

GarrukApex, Jun 3, 2016
  14. matfx Win User
    Dual booting between Windows 10 and linux shouldn't be much problem, but it will add more headache if you add OS X on it, because booting OS X is quite complicated as OS X natively not to be supported other HW other than Apple made.

If you insist wants to dual boot Windows & OS X the best is put on separate hard drive, let the bootloader reside on its own partition. But again like others have mentioned install OS X via virtualization is the best option if you can't have another HD.

By the way just be careful Apple EULA license agreement of OS X. *Smile

matfx, Jun 3, 2016
  15. badrobot Win User
    Basically, what you want is doable. I've done it before. OSX, Linux and Windows in one machine. I actually still have the OSX (Mavericks). It's on a separate HDD that I can boot up to using a USB bootloader. I think it's a Darwin bootloader. It will give you options to boot up any OS installed on the PC. But all of this is easier said than done especially if you haven't done any of it before.

badrobot, Jun 3, 2016
Thema:

Win10, Hackintosh & Linux boot on windows machine

1. Win10, Hackintosh & Linux boot on windows machine - Similar Threads - Win10 Hackintosh Linux

2. Dual boot Win10 on a Win11 machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot Win10 on a Win11 machine: First, I'm coming off of an ASUS ROG Strix GL703V that died after over 4 yrs of near flawless operation. This was a hardware death not a disc crash. In over 35 yrs of owning various laptops, I've never had one die on me, plenty of disc crashes tho. With that said, I was able...
  3. Dual boot Win10 on a Win11 machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual boot Win10 on a Win11 machine: First, I'm coming off of an ASUS ROG Strix GL703V that died after over 4 yrs of near flawless operation. This was a hardware death not a disc crash. In over 35 yrs of owning various laptops, I've never had one die on me, plenty of disc crashes tho. With that said, I was able...
  4. instead of Hackintosh boot, bootet windows?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    instead of Hackintosh boot, bootet windows?: Hi, trying to install hackintosh (high sierra) on my pc but somehow windows 10 tries to fuck with me, with windows 7 it went without problems. I boot from the usb stick but instead of booting the installer, windows 10 is running... I have created a boot trick with transmac...
  5. Reinstall windows on Linux machine

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstall windows on Linux machine: Hello, long time Linux user I have not spent much time on windows in years but I have a new cnc machine that I will be better off with windows on. So I have a laptop that is perfect for this it is a 14 inch Lenovo think pad. I removed windows and I did not back any of it up....
  6. Copy files from Windows machine to Linux machine

in Windows 10 Customization
    Copy files from Windows machine to Linux machine: Hi All, I wanted to copy a folder of files from windows EC2 to Linux EC2, I have tried pscp but it is asking pem key file to validate, its in production so i dont wanted to use that. I am using both the machines in windows AD, so is there way to validate the authentication...
  7. Windows boots in a REALLY weird way after installing Hackintosh.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows boots in a REALLY weird way after installing Hackintosh.: Hello fellow users. I installed Hackintosh in my HDD, after booting and installing it via a bootable USB, and afterwards I replaced the EFI folder from the HDD installation, from the one contained in the bootable USB.This way Hackintosh showed up in F11 Boot Menu, and I can...
  8. Fix windows' reserved partition on a linux multi-boot machine

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fix windows' reserved partition on a linux multi-boot machine: Hi, so recently to fix an update error in Windows, I have decided to delete the Windows' reserved partition (DellUtility) to grow it from about 40MB to 3.5GB, then recovered the content with the partition image I took a few days ago. I did run the 'update-grub' command (my...
  9. Cannot boot Windows 10 after attempting a Hackintosh

Cannot boot Windows 10 after attempting a Hackintosh: Hello, recently I was attempting a Hackintosh. My goal was to do a dual-boot with Windows and MacOS. Knowing I had a Ryzen CPU I knew this was going to be hard but I finally found a video to follow. Halfway through the tutorial, I realized that the tutorial was about single...
  10. Upgrade to Win10 on a dual-boot machine

Upgrade to Win10 on a dual-boot machine: For some work that I am still doing after retirement I need a dual boot machine consequently my Windows 7 Ultimate lives alongside Ubuntu 12.04 with a shared data partition. Does anyone know if it will be safe to upgrade to Windows 10 without wiping Linux? I am still using...