Windows 10: Win10 hangs indefinitely even if using recovery USB

Discus and support Win10 hangs indefinitely even if using recovery USB in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, Little write up here but will try to be succinct. Curious issue that just started up with my Win10 PC. It had been out of action for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Beanbolta, May 28, 2021.

1. Beanbolta Win User

Win10 hangs indefinitely even if using recovery USB

Hi everyone, Little write up here but will try to be succinct. Curious issue that just started up with my Win10 PC. It had been out of action for a while with an intermittent issue where it would restart out of the blue. I took a gamble and replaced the PSU because it was by far the oldest part in my build. That seemed to fix it and I was able to use my PC twice without issue. Now all of a sudden, it will not start at all. It gets to the Windows splash screen with the stylised blue Windows and the spinning dots after BIOS and sits, for hours even. Occasionally after a few attempts it will start in recovery mode, but every time except one it has again hung while loading the recovery mode. The one time it worked I was able to start normally and it worked fine. I've since created a recovery usb on my laptop with the Windows creation tool to attempt to reformat my PC but when I boot from the USB it again hangs either at the bios screen with spinning dots or at the Windows screen as mention earlier - depending which USB device i boot from, since the one usb is shown twice firstly as the product name, and also as the product name followed by "partition 1". It's formatted correctly as FAT32 and chose specifically for 64 bit Windows in English with the creation tool so think I've got that bit right. If I leave it loading long enough on the recovery screen it goes to a blue screen that says something like "Your computer has encountered an error and needs to restart... ..Error: Driver_Pnp_Watchdog_Error". I have a few other things to try when I get home after some googling such as checking safe boot is turned off and testing the boot usb on the laptop itself, among other things, but wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks kindly for any advice

:)

Beanbolta, May 28, 2021
  2. zinou Win User

Windows 10 hangs indefinitely on shutdown

Enable verbose boot/shtdown

Windows will display the name of the service or program that hangs during the shutdown;

1. open the policy editor => type gpedit.msc in the start menu;
    2. Expand Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates, and then click System.
    3. In the right pane, double-click Display highly detailed status messages;
    4. Click Enabled > OK.
    5. shutdown the computer and check the displayed messages.

Win10 hangs indefinitely even if using recovery USB [​IMG]

zinou, May 28, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    USB Recovery

Hi Janie,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please reply to the following questions to get a better understanding on the issue:

• Are you getting any error message?
    • How are you creating the recovery USB?

However, you can follow the steps from Create a recovery drive
    to create a recovery drive.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 28, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

Windows 10 recovery USB - which size???

Not even that. What creating a recovery drive does (if you select 'include system files') is to construct the files required to clean install Windows. If this is made on an OEM install these file will include the OEM custom apps and drivers - effectively a 'factory reset' drive. It is extracting an install image from your existing system files that takes the time.

The steps in making a recovery drive are shown in this tutorial...

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 | Tutorials

• first you choose whether or not to include system files (step 5 in tutorial)
    • next the recovery drive files are constructed (this can take a long time if you include system files)
    • only after that is complete will you be asked which usb to use (step 6 in tutorial). At this point you will be told how large a usb you need.

Without system files 512 Mb is sufficient. Including system files it will be just over 4GB.

At which step did you get the error? If you were not asked which usb to use then it was the construction of the system files that failed, nothing to do with what usb you had.

Thema:

1. Win10 hangs indefinitely even if using recovery USB - Similar Threads - Win10 hangs indefinitely

2. Windows 11 - File Explorer Hangs Almost Indefinitely

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - File Explorer Hangs Almost Indefinitely: I am having critical problems operating File Explorer on my Windows 11 Laptop. The specs are good enough to dismiss slow hardware as a problem. Could anyone give a solution to the problem? Here are the details:The Problem:- Windows Explorer hangs almost indefinitely until the...
  3. Windows 11 - File Explorer Hangs Almost Indefinitely

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - File Explorer Hangs Almost Indefinitely: I am having critical problems operating File Explorer on my Windows 11 Laptop. The specs are good enough to dismiss slow hardware as a problem. Could anyone give a solution to the problem? Here are the details:The Problem:- Windows Explorer hangs almost indefinitely until the...
  4. Windows 10 hangs indefinitely on shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 hangs indefinitely on shutdown: Hi, I did a clean install of Windows 10 about 15 days ago for a new computer build. Here are the specs: Windows 10 version 20H2 OS Build 19042.685 CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900XT MB: ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS RAM: 4x16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz SSD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB...
  5. Cannot boot Win10 Recovery USB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot boot Win10 Recovery USB: I have a HP laptop that will not boot, and I cannot get it to boot to the win10 recovery USB USB boot works - can boot to Ubuntu Live USB and works fine. Tried creating USB with Windows Media Tool Tried creating UEFI (GPT) and BIOS(MBR) USB with Rufus Tried booting all...
  6. win7 upgrade to win10 using USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win7 upgrade to win10 using USB: my motherboard failed and I installed a new MB. My HD has win7 loaded and I am trying to upgrade using a USB drive. I get a message say I cant upgrade from USB I need to boot from HD. I can't because new MB is a Z390 and wont recognize the USB ports so I can log on to Win7...
  7. Win10 Recovery

Win10 Recovery: Hello, I had a win10 issue which required me to reload windows 10 from the installation disk i used same hardware, same PC name and same user name. I am using win10 file history for backups / recoveries. i have restored all my files to the new win10 system and would like...
  8. Recovery win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recovery win10: Did a refresh on my Dell Inspiron 11-3168. It is hung up at Hardware scan complete with no issues. Depress continue it wants to initialize PCie and test eMMc drive in process. Hard scan complete with no issues. The PC keeps going in this cycle all of the time. It will...
  9. Win10 x64 hanging

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 x64 hanging: Hi My Win10 x64 randomly hangs for about 5 min and then comes back. *Sad Anyone with the same behaviour? how can i know if it's HDD related? thanks Edit: found a Windows error report at + or - the same time of last hang and here it is, related files are not in given...
  10. Win10 doesn't start, not even with recovery mode

Win10 doesn't start, not even with recovery mode: Hi everyone. Yesterday I made an update from AVG, which needed the pc to be restarted. I did restarted it, and during the update it gave me an error page starting with " *Sad " and after it...my pc wouldn't work anymore. When I started it, it started with the black page...