Windows 10: Win10 high RAM Usage

Discus and support Win10 high RAM Usage in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; So i installed win10 a day or so ago and i seem to have ram problems, it tends to go up to 90%+ without anything substantial open Screenshot -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Dooz3, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Dooz3 Win User

Win10 high RAM Usage

So i installed win10 a day or so ago and i seem to have ram problems, it tends to go up to 90%+ without anything substantial open

Screenshot - 590b77727f3fcb3cc710babc4774fdc8 - Gyazo

if someone could help or if i need more info let me know

:)

Dooz3, Jul 31, 2015
  2. iangie Win User

WIN10 1703 update cause Explorer.exe high CPU usage

I am using Surface Pro 3 (i5, 8G RAM)

After WIN10 v1703 update, Windows Explorer uses ~30-40% CPU.

If I uncheck "Show thumbnails instead of icons" in the Performance Options, the CPU usage of Windows Explorer reduces to ~0%

Any suggestion why showing thumbnails cause so high CPU usage in v1703?

Thanks!

iangie, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Disk usage

I agree with Dave, adding more RAM will not help with a100% disk use. I did see a comment from ONE user that upgrading from 8-12GB did help with random pauses in Office applications (for what ever that knowlege is worth).

You should try to associated the disk use with specific applicatinsin task manager or Resource Manager.

There a few known causes of 100 % disk us in recent updates of Windoze

WIN10 100% DISK USAGE PROBLEM

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-100-pe...

2018 01 04- 6 WAYS TO FIX WINDOWS 10 HIGH CPU USAGE AFTER CU OR FCU – 100% DISK 100% CPU

https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/windows...

READ MORE – 100% HIGH CPU / RAM / FAN

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/stop-whats-rev...

Top 10 Ways to Fix High CPU/RAM/Memory Usage after Windows 10 Update
    https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-hig...

Fix Windows 10 High Memory Usage/Leak after the Creators Update
    https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-hig...

Fix WMI Provider Host High CPU Usage after Windows 10 Creators Update
    https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/wmi-pro...

Fix Computer Fan Noise Due to High CPU Usage on Windows 10
    https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-com...

Rohn007, Jul 31, 2015
  4. YOU
    You Win User

Win10 high RAM Usage

Chrome's a big resource hog so that's one problem, but the System process's RAM usage should not be that high. Are installing updates and will a restart fix it?

5. AndreyT Win User
    There must be some confusion here. Any properly designed OS with virtual memory is supposed to use 100% of the RAM immediately and constantly. Any unused RAM is wasted RAM. There's absolutely nothing wrong with 90% RAM usage or 100% RAM usage in a modern OS. It means absolutely nothing bad in terms of performance. In fact, it is actually a good thing.

If there's no fierce competition for RAM at the current moment, then it is perfectly fine for the OS to allow the process' working set to grow without restriction. That is exactly what you observe.

Do you experience any excessive swapping? Any swap file thrashing? If not, then everything is fine: your OS is doing exactly what it is supposed to do by letting these working sets to bloat. The OS simply has no other uses for that excessive RAM at the moment.

Start something heavy that requires a large working set, and you will immediately see how those Chromes' working sets will quickly shrink to a bare minimum.

AndreyT, Aug 1, 2015
  6. altae Win User
    Sorry AndreyT but that is simply not true. I've not seen one desktop OS that uses 16 GB of Ram. If it really fills up almost 16 GB without any ram hungry programs open I'd say there is a problem. It would be different if there were any programs like virtualizers, ram discs etc. running. But without such programs it's definitely strange.

For example my system is currently at 87 % of 16 GB. But only because I'm running VMWare Workstation 11 with 5 GB assigned to a virtual machine running Linux Mint 17.2 KDE plus a ram cache using up another 6 GB. If I stop the virtual machine ram usage instantly drops to about 60 % and if I also stop the ram cache it will drop even further to something like 30 %. The mentioned virtual machine running Linux is currently at 78 % of 5 GB. But there are several open Windows in Firefox which is also known to consume a lot of ram. As soon as I close all the Firefox Windows ram usage immediately drops to 68 %.

@OP, can you determine with the help of the task manager what programs are using up all the ram? What are you running besides Windows 10 itself. Any processes in the background (tools etc.)? Have you already checked your auto start programs (use the task manager or even better autoruns which you can easily find on the internet)?

altae, Aug 1, 2015
  7. YOU
    You Win User
    Technically the RAM usage is 100% as the RAM is reserved in case a program is opened suddenly, but the displayed RAM usage should not be that high.

8. Boozad Win User

Win10 high RAM Usage

That's actually completely wrong as @altae has stated. Here's my 16GB with Firefox, Outlook and WinDBG open.

Win10 high RAM Usage [​IMG]

Boozad, Aug 1, 2015
  9. AEM
    aem Win User
    My system service PID 4, is only 388k.

Dooz3, yours is out of this world. There is definitely something WRONG with your system. virus/malware brother! I suggest you redo the install from clean.

10. Victek Win User
    On my Windows 10 x64 the system ram usage is under 400k so yours does seem excessive.

Victek, Aug 1, 2015
  11. RonCFL Win User
    The normal usage of ram for normal surfing "Chrome" or any browsers as the mater of fact should not use more than 1/2 of the ram.

Win10 high RAM Usage [​IMG]

RonCFL, Aug 1, 2015
  12. Let's have a better idea of your problem Dooz, paste the following sequence so that we can see it:
    Task Manager/Performance/Open Resource Monitor (bottom left)/Memory.

For radio streaming outside my country, I'm at 30-40% of total RAM available. Using Opera 30 browser.

MikeMecanic, Aug 1, 2015
  13. Temendor Win User

Win10 high RAM Usage

Some Pictures about the problem:
    Screenshot - 1f3bd5ad55b7530a6fbe821dd052b554 - Gyazo
    Screenshot - 0f1ce97e3f05acb9259b4bb8fc4ea08b - Gyazo

No idea what is going on. Gaming goes without problems and getting high fps reads w/o enything overheating or getting even close. The problem usually starts when I start downloading something(From chrome, steam etc). My motherboard uses the killer network LAN thingy and my network speed read 92~Mbs download and 10+Mbs upload. No process or action otherwise indicates what could cause the problem...

Temendor, Aug 1, 2015
  14. LMiller7 Win User
    Post a screenshot of Task Manager - Performance tab showing memory information. This is the best place to start with suspected memory problems.

LMiller7, Aug 1, 2015
  15. Temendor Win User
    There were two screenshots in my last post to this thread after posting them I had to restart my computer cause of the lag. Will provide more screenshots once it starts to bug out again.

Temendor, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

Win10 high RAM Usage

1. Win10 high RAM Usage - Similar Threads - Win10 high RAM

2. High RAM Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High RAM Usage: Hi, I am facing problems with the system memory, even being 8GB the RAM usage at idle is 55%Meaning any emulator, or heavy game literally brings it to 99%, CANT EVEN IMAGINE 99%!...
  3. High Ram Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High Ram Usage: Hi there, So this is the problem, From the time I bought this brand new IdeaPad Flex 5 itlo5 14" laptop, there has always been high ram usage when I look in task manager. The ram usage has always been around 80%. I have tried to clean install windows which removes all...
  4. High ram usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High ram usage: I recently shifted from from using linux to windows and out of 8 gigs of ram 6.2 gigs is used just with 4 tabs of edge and 2 light weight apps open. The cpu temp is also averaging about 55-60 degree C, although cpu consumption is not high . Is this normal for windows 10(Last...
  5. High ram usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High ram usage: Hello, I noticed that my pc has high ram usage recently, is it normal? My pc specs: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-ram-usage/dc11e700-73bc-4ebc-8730-b280bb72c5b2
  6. High usage in RAM

High usage in RAM: Hello sir/ma'am, From last 10 days, I am facing the issue regarding RAM deficiency. Inspite of having 12Gi RAM in my Laptop, it uses 10.2Gi RAM. It is the case when after restarting my Laptop, when even not a single process is running. Why so ?? Please help me to resolve the...
  7. high ram usage

high ram usage: [ATTACH][ATTACH] In a few days, ago my ram usage is very in a 2 or more app open. and I have 60% in no app I cant do work on my pc and' I have 4GB' ram please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-ram-usage/21f73eed-4478-4761-8517-56f96820e39b
  8. High RAM usage!

High RAM usage!: Me again! Im using Windows 10 and my laptop has 8 RAM. It is always on 80-90% usage? WHAT THE HELL? I see some posts about Memory Leak? Any tips for this to solve? P.S: I have another post about Windows Defender, so if you can help,ill be thankful! [ATTACH]...
  9. High RAM usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High RAM usage: My PC is going slow because of my RAM I have 8GB of RAM, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, Nvidia 1050 TI. When ever I load a game I get loads of frame drops. I have watched so many YouTube videos and looked at loads of comments to fix it but that doesn't work. My mates have tried as well,...
  10. High RAM Usage in Win10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High RAM Usage in Win10: Hi I stumbled upon this weird behaviour in Win10, where I have only a few programs open, but memory usage is extraordinarily high. (pictures given) It looks like windows does not clear the RAM after I close programs? How can I fix this? Thanks for all tipps and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 v1703 memory leak high all time