Windows 10: Win10 home digital license to win 10 pro with product key

Discus and support Win10 home digital license to win 10 pro with product key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Bought a refurbished tablet with a "windows 10 pro for refurb pcs" sticker on it which has the product key. Tablet shipped with fresh win 10 home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by FXKC, Dec 7, 2019.

1. FXKC Win User

Win10 home digital license to win 10 pro with product key

Bought a refurbished tablet with a "windows 10 pro for refurb pcs" sticker on it which has the product key.

Tablet shipped with fresh win 10 home install, first thing that pops up on startup is the language screen, ie it's the first screen of a fresh install. It appears to have a digital license on it.

Tried changing the product key to the sticker key after getting through the initial setup, and get a 0xc004f050 error.

How do I change to win 10 pro using the product key?

:)

FXKC, Dec 7, 2019
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

Win10 Home to W10 Pro Upgrade Error using Product Key

The keys are there because 1. It is the product key you end up with when you gain a digital license for Windows 10 Pro through legitimate means and 2. When you do a clean install of Windows 10 (without adding an ei.cfg file), on a computer with a product key for Windows 10 Home stored in UEFI, you can use the generic product key to upgrade the Windows 10 Home that installs by default to Windows 10 Pro - but only if you have an existing digital license for that computer for Windows 10 Pro previously stored on Microsoft Activation Servers.

The reason the generic Windows10 Pro product key will not upgrade your Windows 10 Home to Pro is because you do not have a preexisting digital license for Pro for that computer stored on Microsoft activation servers.

NavyLCDR, Dec 7, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Pro Product Key

How can I determine if a Windows 10 Pro product key is in use?

My laptop has an oem installation of Windows 7 Professional. During the free upgrade period, I upgraded from Win7 to Windows 10 to obtain a digital license, and then reverted back to Windows 7. Subsequently, I decided to run both Win7 and Win10 (on different
    disks), and to stay legal, I purchased a Windows 10 Pro product key (and usb). I used the product key during the installation of Windows 10 and Win10 activated. However, in Settings/Update & Security/Activation, it's says "Windows is activated with a digital
    license." I expected to see it say that it's activated with a key, and suspect that it's using the originally acquired digital license. I used ShowKeyPlus and found that the installed key is a generic product key, and not the key I entered during the installation.

So, I'm trying to find out if the product key was actually "consumed" or if it's available for use on another computer, without having to do an install to find out. I am no longer using Win7 on this machine, so use of the original digital license would
    be the best case for me.

The Get Help app was unhelpful, and I'm very reluctant to pay for telephone support on top of purchasing Win10 Pro.

Grateful for any help or advice!

Thanks,

Steve

SantaFeSteve, Dec 7, 2019
  4. Win10 home digital license to win 10 pro with product key

Activation switched from "with product key" to "with Digital License"

In the past, if I did a change product code on my 10 Pro install, and entered my Education key. Activation switched from activated with a digital license to activated with a product code. And it would list the last 5 digits of the code.
    Now when I do that it stays as activated with a digital license. The DL is upwards compatible, as far as I know. I can clean install 1511 Pro or 1607 Pro on this PC with a skip key and they will both activate. I do believe its edition specific (Home, Pro, etc) but not build specific. I've installed an older insider build on a PC that never had an insider build on it and it activated just fine on the 10 Pro DL that PC had gotten with the free upgrade.

Right now, I only have the one PC that doesn't have a DL for the education version. I've delayed activating it in 1607 so I can do more tests. Once its activated in 1607 there is no going back.

alphanumeric, Dec 7, 2019
Thema:

Win10 home digital license to win 10 pro with product key

1. Win10 home digital license to win 10 pro with product key - Similar Threads - Win10 home digital

2. Windows License #/Digital Product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows License #/Digital Product key: Hello there,I have 2 different hard drives that have sentimental files on them I was asked by the owners to retrieve the files. However, both of them seem to require a windows update to be able to do anything with the files. I am only capable of accessing these drives by...
  3. Windows License #/Digital Product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows License #/Digital Product key: Hello there,I have 2 different hard drives that have sentimental files on them I was asked by the owners to retrieve the files. However, both of them seem to require a windows update to be able to do anything with the files. I am only capable of accessing these drives by...
  4. Windows 10 Digital License and Product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Digital License and Product key: Hi,I'm using windows 10, activated by digital license linked to my Microsoft account on this device and I'm purchasing a new laptop with windows 10 pre-installed. So can I use my Microsoft account which is used in this device that is activated with digital license on my new...
  5. Transfer digital license to product key

Transfer digital license to product key: Is there a way for me to do this without calling microsoft support for a remote assist? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-digital-license-to-product-key/14313ea7-9863-4bc5-bb90-c49b8c27022b
  6. Product key? Or, digital license?

Product key? Or, digital license?: Dell Inspiron 3647. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro free upgrade. No tech will be attempting a hard drive change. For reinstalling, I keep reading a 25 character product key. I have 20. It does specify Windows 10 is activated with a digital license. I know once I...
  7. Upgrade Windows 10 Home Digital License to Windows 10 Pro with a Product Key?

Upgrade Windows 10 Home Digital License to Windows 10 Pro with a Product Key?: Is what I am asking possible? I first bought an upgrade from the Microsoft Store and it hasn't worked. The install installed Windows 10 Enterprise. Using system restore I went back to Windows 10 Home. Now when I try install at Microsoft Store I get the error 0xc004f050. I...
  8. Windows 10 Digital license to product key

Windows 10 Digital license to product key: I bought a prebuild gaming computer with windows 10 home installed. Once setting on the computer, I linked my microsoft account to the product key. Here we are a year later, I upgraded the CPU and GPU, same digital license. Now, I just installed a new motherboard, and windows...
  9. Windows 10 Home (Digital License) upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (License key)

Windows 10 Home (Digital License) upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (License key): I'm trying to upgrade my Windows 10 Home, which came installed on my HP Omen 15 But, return this error: The last product key (ID: xxxx) you entered can't be used on this copy of Windows (0x803FA067) Does this mean that the key that I previously bought and used on another...
  10. Upgrade Window 10 Home digital license with Windows 10 Pro product key

Upgrade Window 10 Home digital license with Windows 10 Pro product key: When trying to upgrade from windows 10 home to windows 10 pro we are getting this error 0xc004f050. The original license is a digital license and the upgrade we are trying to perform is a purchased license key....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. IS PRODUCT KEY OK FOR A NEWER VERSION OF WIN10

2. win10 home to win10 pro key