Windows 10: WIN10 Home - Installing as virtual machine on PC running WIN7 Pro

Discus and support WIN10 Home - Installing as virtual machine on PC running WIN7 Pro in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been following the thread entitled "Windows 7 - what should we do after January 2020" which was started by Windower7 in April 2019 and still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by antioch, Mar 1, 2020.

1. antioch Win User

WIN10 Home - Installing as virtual machine on PC running WIN7 Pro

I have been following the thread entitled "Windows 7 - what should we do after January 2020" which was started by Windower7 in April 2019 and still going.

Up until a week ago I had decided to keep WIN7 for a few more years. I had a new computer, custom built in October 2016, with one of the last WIN7 Pro installed. If I had left it 2 more days I would have had to have WIN10.

Due to a special offer through a computer magazine I take and a company called Cleverbridge/Creativemark, I was offered WIN7 Home for £30[38.6.USD]. WIN10 Pro is on offer for £39.99[51.27USD].
    I have decided to go with the Home edition and rather then do an upgrade or clean install, I have decided to set up as a virtual machine[using Virtualbox] as opposed to dual boot. That way I can see if I like WIN10 or not. I have plenty of space on the HD - 759GB free of 925GB.

I have searched through the list of tutorials and I am not sure which one to use out of those listed. I think the one entitled 'Install Windows 10 Virtual Machine in VirtualBox' by Shawn Brink is what I need?

I could of course buy a new HD, add it to my PC and install on that for another £30 or £40. But that I think that involves a dual boot?

Rgds

:)

antioch, Mar 1, 2020

2. Win7 Pro (OEM) to Win10

Just tried to use the MS 'Media Creation Tool' to download an .iso of Win10 Pro 64-bit - the only OS offered in the dropdown box is Win10 Home!

Currently running Win7 Pro (OEM) on my last machine to be upgraded. I haven't yet done the automatic 'upgrade' to Win10. Of course, I know I need to do this before doing a clean install with a downloaded .iso. Is this the reason for no choice of the Pro
    version?

If first I do the free upgrade from Win7 Pro (OEM) to Win10...

a) Will the upgraded OS show as Win10 Pro (OEM)?
    and;

b) If I then run the 'Media Creation Tool', will I then be offered a choice of Win10 Home or Win10 Pro in the drop-down?

It was always my understanding that Win7 Pro (OEM) was entitled to a free upgrade to Win10 Pro (OEM)...

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Henry

HenryHonda, Mar 1, 2020
  3. Running activated Win10 on a new machine

My desktop is running a genuine Win7 Pro N retail. Can somebody tell me what happens if I upgrade to Win10 Pro on my old machine and later get a new one? Will I be able to install activated Win10 directly on my new machine, or will I have to reinstall
    Win7 and upgrade again to Win10? Or do something else? I'm not sure will I loose my licence if I buy a new computor, although it's a retail version? Thanks.

DragoŠtajduhar, Mar 1, 2020
  4. WIN10 Home - Installing as virtual machine on PC running WIN7 Pro

Win10 upgrade failed. Can I do a new install of Win10 with my Win7 Pro product key?

My HP DV7 laptop came with Windows 7 Pro. I've installed Ubuntu 14 as the host OS and run my Windows 7 Pro in a virtual machine. When I upgraded the Win7 guest OS to Win10 all I get is a black screen. No mouse or keyboard, just a black screen.

Can I do a new install of Windows 10 as the guest OS in VirtualBox and use my Windows 7 Pro product key to register it with Microsoft?

If this will work at some point I'll have to run both the Win7 and Win10 OSes at the same time to transfer files. Hopefully the license validation will let me do this.

DeanWSchulze, Mar 1, 2020
Thema:

WIN10 Home - Installing as virtual machine on PC running WIN7 Pro

1. WIN10 Home - Installing as virtual machine on PC running WIN7 Pro - Similar Threads - WIN10 Home Installing

2. updating win7 home to win10 pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    updating win7 home to win10 pro: Acer Aspire 5560 laptop.On my win10 desktop, I run MediaCreationTool22H2.exe to a clean 64Gb USB Data Key using all defaults and it makes it bootable. On the laptop, I boot with the USB drive inserted but I get a message saying it can't update this way. I must first boot into...
  3. updating win7 home to win10 pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    updating win7 home to win10 pro: Acer Aspire 5560 laptop.On my win10 desktop, I run MediaCreationTool22H2.exe to a clean 64Gb USB Data Key using all defaults and it makes it bootable. On the laptop, I boot with the USB drive inserted but I get a message saying it can't update this way. I must first boot into...
  4. updating win7 home to win10 pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Win7 home->Win10 home->Win10 Pro with retail key?

Win7 home->Win10 home->Win10 Pro with retail key?: I have a PC that started at Win7 home OEM. It was free upgraded to Win10 home. I purchased a win10 pro retail key. If I use the key, will I end up with a Win10 pro retail? There are benefits to having retail versions....
  6. Win7 Pro Old PC --> Win10 Pro clean install new PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win7 Pro Old PC --> Win10 Pro clean install new PC?: Hey, as the title says, I have a valid Win 7 pro license running on my old PC. Can I in any way transfer this to install Win 10 Pro on my new device? Thanks! submitted by /u/0x07C3 [link] [comments]...
  7. WIN10 Home - Installing as virtual machine on PC running WIN7 Pro

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    WIN10 Home - Installing as virtual machine on PC running WIN7 Pro: I have been following the thread entitled "Windows 7 - what should we do after January 2020" which was started by Windower7 in April 2019 and still going. Up until a week ago I had decided to keep WIN7 for a few more years. I had a new computer, custom built in October 2016,...
  8. installation of Win10 in a virtual machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    installation of Win10 in a virtual machine: I installed a licensed copy of Win 10 in a virtual machine and once I screwed it up beyond repair I deleted it and created another one. But when I went to activate it I wasn't able to because it was already assigned to another machine and I needed to call MS and spend 8...
  9. Win10 and virtual machines

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 and virtual machines: Is windows 10 home able to run virtual machines like “vm ware player” or do i need the pro version? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-and-virtual-machines/2508a1ce-c3aa-4ad1-89cd-4e9ec25144be
  10. Win10 Pro machine decided to install Home instead...

Win10 Pro machine decided to install Home instead...: My Dell XPS 8920 came with Windows 10 Home installed. After a few months, I purchased a W10 Pro license for the machine, and have clean installed Windows several times in the year since. Today, after installing two additional memory modules, and re-flashing the bios to the...