Windows 10: Win10: how to do backups if partions have the file system "bitlocker"

Discus and support Win10: how to do backups if partions have the file system "bitlocker" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi,after almost 9 years I have a new notebook, HP 15s-eq144ng, SSD drive. Now I am at a loss of how to backup the Win10 partitions 5 altogether boot,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by win8cub, May 5, 2021.

1. win8cub Win User

Win10: how to do backups if partions have the file system "bitlocker"

Hi,after almost 9 years I have a new notebook, HP 15s-eq144ng, SSD drive. Now I am at a loss of how to backup the Win10 partitions 5 altogether boot, MS reserved, msft data, basic data, windows RE tools, including the bootloader. With my old notebook I used Seagate Diskwizard, the partitions were sda1, sda2... etc. Here, the partitions are nvme0n1p1, nvme01p2... etc. Strange!Will it be safe to use Disk Wizard, or what would you recommend, please?Thanks, win8 cub

:)

win8cub, May 5, 2021

2. Bitlocker preventing backup

My OS (Win10) is not letting me use an external HDD as a backup drive without using bitlocker to encrypt it. I do not want to encrypt this drive and need a workaround so my OS will allow me to backup my files to this drive without enabling bitlocker encryption.

Stephen_37, May 5, 2021
  3. Paola Gar Win User
    Need to turn off Bitlocker to install Windows 10

Hi,

We suggest doing the following steps again to resolve the issue. To complete the procedure, make sure that you have the following information:

• You must be able to provide administrative credentials.
    • The drive must be BitLocker-protected.
    To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive, please follow the steps below:

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.
    • A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know how it goes.

Paola Gar, May 5, 2021
  4. Win10: how to do backups if partions have the file system "bitlocker"

File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, May 5, 2021
Thema:

Win10: how to do backups if partions have the file system "bitlocker"

1. Win10: how to do backups if partions have the file system "bitlocker" - Similar Threads - Win10 backups partions

2. Extending System Partion

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extending System Partion: Hi, my client's laptop has a large unallocated partition that I would like to use to extend the system C: partition.There is very limited free space on the system partition.Can you recommend a utility that can boot from USB to extend the partition.Thanks!...
  3. Extending System Partion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extending System Partion: Hi, my client's laptop has a large unallocated partition that I would like to use to extend the system C: partition.There is very limited free space on the system partition.Can you recommend a utility that can boot from USB to extend the partition.Thanks!...
  4. Extending System Partion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. System and Recovery Partion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System and Recovery Partion: Few Days ago i mistakenly deleted my OS and had to clean install windows 11. I got a DELL device and i found that Dell preinstalled apps were missing, i somehow managed to get back MY DELL and DELL SUPPORT ASSIST but still don't have DELL OS RECOVERY.Today i noticed my disk...
  6. System and Recovery Partion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System and Recovery Partion: Few Days ago i mistakenly deleted my OS and had to clean install windows 11. I got a DELL device and i found that Dell preinstalled apps were missing, i somehow managed to get back MY DELL and DELL SUPPORT ASSIST but still don't have DELL OS RECOVERY.Today i noticed my disk...
  7. reinstalled win10 on new drive & cant see system reserved partion.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    reinstalled win10 on new drive & cant see system reserved partion.: Background. My old HD (disk 0) is looking faulty so I installed a new drive (disk 1) and did fresh win10 install. I left Disk 0 in PC to test/reformat etc. I now want to partition new C: drive so I have a separate smaller boot partition for cloning/ win reinstall but am...
  8. WIN10 1803 system backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIN10 1803 system backup: After upgrade to WIN10 1803 Build 17134.165 my system backup is not longer available Remark: 1/ only the item "make a system repair disk" is shown 2/ message : system backup is not available in an environment for portable workstations (translated in dutch: dit onderdeel...
  9. How do I create a backup of system and data files?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do I create a backup of system and data files?: Pardon me if this is a question already addressed in the forum. I've looked at the tutorials including "How to Create a System Image in Windows 10" and am not sure that what I want to do is totally addressed. A redirect or reference to a URL away from this forum is fine. I...
  10. System Image or Backup and Restore Files in Win10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image or Backup and Restore Files in Win10: Hi, A few days ago I discovered I had some corruptive files preventing me from Updating successfully. So, after much hair-pulling I did a Windows 10 reinstall via a USB Flash Drive while Windows was running and it was successful thanks to some talented folks on this forum....