Windows 10: Win10 Install from small HDD

Discus and support Win10 Install from small HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Gang! Okay, I have older stuff, most from around 2010, yea, I know, I'm poor! None of my boxes have on-board USB3, so USB2 installs are my only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PreyMantas, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Win10 Install from small HDD

Hi Gang!

Okay, I have older stuff, most from around 2010, yea, I know, I'm poor!

None of my boxes have on-board USB3, so USB2 installs are my only choice unless I want to turn to dust waiting on and hoping the DVD doesn't choke 30 minutes into just loading up before the install process begins.. *Sad

Is there any way of putting the Win10 install on a small 40GB hard drive that has no reason to live anymore and boot from that as apposed to a DVD or USB?

I hope one of you guru's has figured this out! You would think that it should be a wide open choice of what we install from, but we know MS.... Nooooooo, do it "our way" or hit the highway... Geesh.

TIA!

Prey

:)

PreyMantas, Feb 7, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Create installation media using small partition on HDD?

If you watch the video from post #5 to create a Macrium Rescue disk. It would be the same procedure to create the Windows Installation disk.
    1. Download Windows Installation ISO: Windows 10 and put on desktop for easy access.
    2. Create a partition on an internal/external drive around 5GB, format as FAT32.
      NOTE: Set the partition Active if the disk used is an MBR disk. No need not to do anything if is a GPT disk .
    3. Use: WinRar/WinZip/7-Zip to extract the ISO file to the root of the partition created in step 2.
    4. Set the BIOS as first boot priority then boot.

topgundcp, Feb 26, 2020
  3. Hdd Os install

Welcome to TPU: Please fill out your specs here

TBH installing win10 on a HDD is going to slow in every aspect, including boot time and updates. It will be well worth it to invest in a small SSD, 60GB for around $50, and install the OS on that and use the HDDs as extra storage.

DeathtoGnomes, Feb 26, 2020
  4. user33331 Win User

Win10 Install from small HDD

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Feb 26, 2020
Thema:

Win10 Install from small HDD

1. Win10 Install from small HDD - Similar Threads - Win10 Install small

2. Moving win10 from hdd to m2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving win10 from hdd to m2: Hi, I have a laptop and I bought a new Samsung 500GB m2 , I want to move windows from the old hdd to m2 , but I want to keep the hdd too. So how should I do it? Should I move it without formatting? and how ? Or is it better to fromat the hdd and clean install it on m2 ?...
  3. Switching Win10 OS from HDD to SSD.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching Win10 OS from HDD to SSD.: Hello everyone, I'm super confused as to how I can switch the OS from HDD to SSD. I have a 2 TB HDD that contains my OS and I'm looking to add a 240 GB SSD to my rig and would like to have the OS on my SSD. I'm okay with a complete reinstallion of Win10 onto my SSD meaning...
  4. Installing Win10 from my HDD to my SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Win10 from my HDD to my SSD: So three years ago I bought Windows 10 on an USB and upgraded from Win 7, as you do. Now I made the decsion back then to save Windows onto my HDD as opposed to my SSD. Now I'm trying to reinstall Windows 10 onto my SSD in order to make my machine run a bit smoother, and It's...
  5. Unable to Install Win10 on New HDD

Unable to Install Win10 on New HDD: I have a Lenova laptop with a new HDD. I had hoped to install Win10Pro from a CD but it runs into a problem and shows the 3 partitions. One has 931GB tot space with 931 avail and 2 other small partitions when I say Next, I get a message saying "could not create a new Part...
  6. Moving Win10 from a failing HDD to a SSD

Moving Win10 from a failing HDD to a SSD: I have a friend whose IDE hard drive is failing. He wants to replace it with a SSD. The cloning process won't work because of the drive (clicking). How can he get his Windows 10 moved?...
  7. hdd to small for installing system image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    hdd to small for installing system image: windows 10 system image on dvds On a 70gb sata hdd partition, I updated from windows 7 home premium 64bit to windows 10. In windows 10 I deleted the windows 7 files. After that, the windows 10 system size was about 20gb. I then created a system image on 2 dvds. Windows 10...
  8. Create installation media using small partition on HDD?

Create installation media using small partition on HDD?: I was wondering whether I could create a small partition on one of my HDDs and use the installation media creation tool to put the installation files on that and then set the BIOS to boot from that partition and start the process of installing Windows? I can't find my USB...
  9. Problems booting HDD / win10 install problems

Problems booting HDD / win10 install problems: Hi Sorry about the long description, but want to make sure I haven’t missed any detail along the process and to inform people which alternatives have been tried. I have been experiencing a lot of problems with the win10 installation. After a lot of work I managed to fix...
  10. Installing Win10 on new HDD: Stuck at 86%

Installing Win10 on new HDD: Stuck at 86%: I have made a bootable USB using Rufus as the windows media creation tool could not find my USB. I'm now trying to install Win10 onto a fresh HDD and the the installation is stuck at 86%. Any advice would be brilliant, thanks! Christy 73399