Windows 10: Win10 install only partitioned unused disk.

Discus and support Win10 install only partitioned unused disk. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had an outdated Win7 license and installed a new licensed version of Win10. It looks like the install only partitioned the unused disk and kept the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dap162, Nov 23, 2018.

1. dap162 Win User

Win10 install only partitioned unused disk.

I had an outdated Win7 license and installed a new licensed version of Win10. It looks like the install only partitioned the unused disk and kept the old Win7 copy. I wanted a clean full install (not a potential dual boot) How do I repartition the drive to use the entire volume? I don't care if I loose my old data/applications as everything has been backed up.

:)

dap162, Nov 23, 2018
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Nov 23, 2018
  3. Toothless Win User
    Question about Win10 and partitions.

Win10 install only partitioned unused disk. [​IMG]

So I have a partition ready for Win10 but my question is will I still be able to access my other partitions once Win10 is installed? I keep hearing about the "recovery partition won't be able to be used" and I'm wondering if Win10 just doesn't play nice or if I'm good to go.

Toothless, Nov 23, 2018
  4. Win10 install only partitioned unused disk.

Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Win10 install only partitioned unused disk. :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Nov 23, 2018
Thema:

Win10 install only partitioned unused disk.

1. Win10 install only partitioned unused disk. - Similar Threads - Win10 install partitioned

2. Disk Partition Only Allows 400MB?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Partition Only Allows 400MB?: Hello everyone, Alex Slater here! I am trying to partition my hard drive in the usual Disk Partition software, and the popup is saying I only have 492MB or so to do a shrink volume operation. What exactly am I doing wrong? I have shrunk hard drive partitions before, and it...
  3. Unused Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unused Partition: How do I move space from a NEW VOLUME E Basic Data Partition to increase allocation in Windows C: I am looking at the Disk management tool but unfortunately don't understand what to do with it. Thanks in advance...
  4. Disk unusable

Disk unusable: Hello, I've been using my 1TB Seagate barracuda HDD for over two years now. Today when I wanted to create a new partition on Disk Management, the disk showed no volume, but I was able to access my files just fine. I made backups before starting to mess with things, checked...
  5. Unused SSD as Primary Partition in Disk Management

Unused SSD as Primary Partition in Disk Management: Hello, I am a new Windows 10 Home user and I am having trouble with managing my disks. I am not experienced at all, so I apologize in advance for all the nonsense I might type. I just found out that I have a SSD, by running "Get-PhysicalDisk" in PowerShell, as shown in the...
  6. Help with Disk Management - unused healthy primary partition

Help with Disk Management - unused healthy primary partition: Hello, My laptop was running slow still a little slow, in following various recommendations I ended up deleting a ton of stuff to recover space, and I saw my drive set up in Disk Management. I see that I have one Disk 0 and 4 partitions. I also have a D drive that is empty...
  7. Disk Partitions different in Win10 and Win8.1 ???

Disk Partitions different in Win10 and Win8.1 ???: So here's the thing. I have an SSD which I have removed from one laptop (it's running Win8.1Pro) and connected it through a USB caddy to my other laptop (running Win10Pro 1909) so that I can move some data around. To do this I shrink the "C" partition on the SSD and create...
  8. [INSTALLATION] System partition only takes up 100mb for Win10?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    [INSTALLATION] System partition only takes up 100mb for Win10?: Trying to Re-install windows on my PC via USB https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, When creating the partitions the reserved system one that automatically is created only takes up 100 Mb for some reason, even though Win10 is supposed to have a 500 Mb...
  9. Fresh W10 install, system reserved partition on unused 2nd disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Fresh W10 install, system reserved partition on unused 2nd disk: Hi guys, I have 2 SSDs in my machine, a 1TB one and an older 128GB one. When I reinstalled Windows 10 today I installed it on the larger 1TB drive with the intention of removing the smaller one completely from the system since it's old etc. I used the diskpart tool to...
  10. Disk partitioning, win10 installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk partitioning, win10 installation: [img] Hello. Can somebody explain me what EFI System Partition is doing? Should i remove it? I've tryied already to install win10 from USB multiple times. After installation, pc restarts and starts to display UNACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, or , if i insert USB again and click...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unused disk win10