Windows 10: Win10 installed on C: but boot partition on E:

Discus and support Win10 installed on C: but boot partition on E: in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I purchased a new hard drive last Christmas when I was running out of storage space. I already had 2 drives at the time, and I decided to install a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mkseto, Jun 17, 2020.

1. mkseto Win User

Win10 installed on C: but boot partition on E:

I purchased a new hard drive last Christmas when I was running out of storage space. I already had 2 drives at the time, and I decided to install a new copy of Win10 on the new drive, making the 2 old drives D: and E: where D: was the previous Win10 drive i.e. boot drive. Everything was fine.

Recently, my E: drive started to act up bad sectors so I purchased another new drive. I thought I would simply swap the E: drive with the new drive but my PC no longer boot up from C: ...... it boots up from D: instead, even when I selected C: to boot from the BIOS menu. I then disconnected D: and tried to re-boot, but the PC failed to boot goes into BIOS menu.

I then removed the new drive and put back E: drive, well, the PC boots with C: just the way the worked before. After posting my scenario in a public forum and shared my Disk Management screen, I was explained that despite Win10 was installed on C:, there was a partition created in E: for the boot-up process, therefore the reason E: must be in the PC in order to boot with the Win10 on C:. I don't recall being asked any question or prompted with information about E: being used to boot when I installed Win10 on the C: drive. Regardless, I hope someone can help me with the below questions:

1 Would it be possible to move/transfer the "boot partition" from E: to C: so that I can boot from C: without having to depend on E: being present or any way to repair Win10 to achieve the same result: boot from C: without E: being present?

2 If I was to install a brand new copy of Win10 in future, how could I avoid the same problem again i.e. Win10 on one drive but boot partition on another drive?

:)

mkseto, Jun 17, 2020

2. Vista Beta 2 Installed

Well first I defragged the drive, then go into partition magic and select "create a new partition" and make sure it is "after c:"

Then click the rest of the way through the menus, and in the lower left there is a list of pending activites and click "apply" and you will have to restart and before windows boots partition magic does its thing.

wazzledoozle, Jun 17, 2020
  3. Vista Beta 2 Installed

Partition Magic is giving me trouble though. I'm just installing Vista and tell it not to overwrite Drive C so that I can still dual boot XP and Vista.

wazzledoozle, can you tell me step by step how to make a partition in Partition Magic?

Azn Tr14dZ, Jun 17, 2020
  4. regan1985 Win User

booting xp when vista was installed 1st

any1 know if there is a command when booting to select the partition xp was installed on, vista was installed first but on the primary partition c:/ xp is on e:/

regan1985, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Win10 installed on C: but boot partition on E: - Similar Threads - Win10 installed boot

2. Win10 Drive C partitions, what is the E partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 Drive C partitions, what is the E partition: I'm trying to prepare an old Win10 desktop for my granddaughter. Currently, there is only one drive in the desktop Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB. The above image shows that it has four partitions. What is the 2nd partition with the drive letter "E".Can the "E" drive be safely...
  3. Win10 Drive C partitions, what is the E partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Drive C partitions, what is the E partition: I'm trying to prepare an old Win10 desktop for my granddaughter. Currently, there is only one drive in the desktop Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB. The above image shows that it has four partitions. What is the 2nd partition with the drive letter "E".Can the "E" drive be safely...
  4. Win10 Drive C partitions, what is the E partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Resized C partition, no longer boots

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Resized C partition, no longer boots: I am dual booting Windows 10 with Arch Linux. Most Linux distributions recommend at least 512MB for the boot partition, however mine was only 100MB and was unable to hold all of the Linux kernels. My partition layout was as follows: sda1 - boot - 100MB sda2 - Microsoft...
  6. win10/e

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    win10/e: win10/ec/d https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10%E5%BA%94%E7%94%A8%E5%95%86%E5%BA%97%E5%AE%89/203c34ec-501d-4109-85fd-8de72517750b
  7. Win10 Install For Dual Boot Partition Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 Install For Dual Boot Partition Problem: I'm trying to do a clean install of Win10 on my Win7 desktop using Unallocated Space on the HDD. I thought I could have up to 4 Primary partitions, but I get this error when I try to select it. Any ideas? 146516
  8. Freshly installed win10 not booting up after deleting dual boot partit

in Windows 10 Support
    Freshly installed win10 not booting up after deleting dual boot partit: Hello guys.. I was running Windows 10 alongside linux mint on a different partition. I deleted the partition for linux mint but that made me regret as I ran into a series of trouble and messed up everything.. I decided to delete my win10 partition as well in hope to fix the...
  9. Disk partitioning, win10 installation

Disk partitioning, win10 installation: [img] Hello. Can somebody explain me what EFI System Partition is doing? Should i remove it? I've tryied already to install win10 from USB multiple times. After installation, pc restarts and starts to display UNACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, or , if i insert USB again and click...
  10. Partition issue with Win10/Ubuntu dual-boot installation.

Partition issue with Win10/Ubuntu dual-boot installation.: I was running Win7 and Ubuntu. Win7 suddenly refused to boot, so I deleted the partition with plans to uninstall. Win7 didn't like the drive anymore (couldn't create or find system partition). I tried various attempts with diskpart to repair the bootsector and MBR, to no...