Windows 10: Win10 Is "Picky" About Moving Hard Drives Around

Discus and support Win10 Is "Picky" About Moving Hard Drives Around in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Every few years I add another storage drive to my computer or upgrade the capacity. I have noticed some quirks about Win10 new drives & swapping drives... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by enthusiast, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Win10 Is "Picky" About Moving Hard Drives Around

Every few years I add another storage drive to my computer or upgrade the capacity. I have noticed some quirks about Win10 new drives & swapping drives around. These are all SATA 3 drives on a PCI-e motherboard - so what position on a cable or spot they are plugged into the motherboard is not important like it used to be. 1) Win10 does not like it very much when you swap hard drives around. For example I moved 3 or 4 of my drives to different locations in the computer for better airflow. This meant that I could not always use the same drive cable before I moved it around. So I just used whatever free cable was already plugged into the motherboard. When booting up, Win10 found "errors" on a couple of discs where it did not find "errors" before. I had this same thing happen when I moved a single drive around about 2 yrs ago. 2) Win10 often does not even like new drives to be installed. A couple of years ago, I installed a new drive in a new spot on the motherboard. When I booted up, Win10 blue screened for about 15 seconds then booted back up just fine. Why is Win10 so picky? This is not the days of IDE cables & master/slave drives where if you did not get everything just right, you were screwed. In fact we are at least 3 if not 4 generations into the single connection SATA cables. The kinks should have been worked out by now.

:)

enthusiast, Jun 13, 2021
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jun 13, 2021
  3. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Jun 13, 2021
  4. Win10 Is "Picky" About Moving Hard Drives Around

little cat, Jun 13, 2021
Thema:

Win10 Is "Picky" About Moving Hard Drives Around

1. Win10 Is "Picky" About Moving Hard Drives Around - Similar Threads - Win10 Picky Moving

2. Windows 11 being picky about its audio output.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 being picky about its audio output.: So, ever since Christmas, I was gifted my first desktop PC.Specifically, A CyberPower PC. Around 1000 dollars and such. Got a problem with audio output.But, before describing that, my monitor came with 2 cables, DisplayPort and HDMI.At first, I had ZERO problem plugging both...
  3. Hard drive move

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard drive move: Haven't seen this question yet. I have an Intel NUC-7. A lightning strike killed this computer and every electronic device in my office. I desire to replace the NUC-7 with a NUC-10 barebones. The 500GB SSD, spinning 2TB HD and the 32GB RAM may have survived. I can move these...
  4. Question about moving licenses around

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about moving licenses around: Hey everyone! So I'm building a new computer and dreading having to buy for a Windows 10 key because I plan on selling my old computer. However, I still have an old laptop with Windows 8.1 on it with an active OEM license. Is it possible for me to upgrade that 8.1 license to...
  5. Moving a hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving a hard drive: I have a windows 7 home (64 bit) desktop and a windows 10 pro (64 bit) ver 1903 desktop. Can I pull the 350gb storage hard drive from the windows 7 pc and install it in the windows 10 pc (both pcs are SATA) without loosing any of the files on the hard drive. Can I just move...
  6. Moving hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving hard drive: I have a windows 10 computer that is having mother board problem and another similar computer that the hard drive crashed. can I switch the good hard drive to the other computer...
  7. Moving to a New Hard drive

Moving to a New Hard drive: So recently my old hard drive died. I cannot go to boot or anything so I have purchased a new hard drive I'm unable to get to my operating system on my old drive since it is entirely dead I still have Windows 10 connected to my account so, how do I get my account in Windows...
  8. after hard drive move

after hard drive move: I did this------Received many answers so i just switched the harddrive I have asked this in the community before and have conflicting reply I have an old working comp gateway gt 5014 pent d 2.80 win 10 with 4 gig ram I would like to remove hdrive and put into a hp hpe210f...
  9. hard drive move

hard drive move: I have ask this before and have conflicting reply I have an old working comp gateway gt 5014 pent d 2.80 win 10 with 4 gig ram I woulld like to remove hdrive and put into a hp hpe210f amd phenom ii 945 quad 8 gig of ram not sure if this box was upgrades had win7 but...
  10. Moving win10 hard drive

Moving win10 hard drive: I want to build another computer. Is it possible to move my existing Windows 10 hard drive to my new motherboard without having to format and reinstalling windows 10? Will everything boot up as before?*Rolleyes 54214