Windows 10: Win10 is somehow not letting a game mod make a config.ini

Discus and support Win10 is somehow not letting a game mod make a config.ini in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; So, due to outside circumstances, I had to do a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 last month and have been making slow progress in getting things back to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by DJKennedy90, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Win10 is somehow not letting a game mod make a config.ini

So, due to outside circumstances, I had to do a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 last month and have been making slow progress in getting things back to normal.

One of my games, that I have installed on a dedicated HDD for games, is a Japanese re-release of Resident Evil 2 that was built to run on WinXP. However, a dedicated modder has made a very simple, but their excellent Classic Rebirth mod that helps make the game run smoother even on Win10, including Xinput support!

The way it works is, you just drop the mod, a "ddraw.dll" file, into the game folder next to the .exe, and it translates the game to English, gives controller support, and makes other great fixes. A config.ini is supposed to be made next to the mod dll in the game folder where it'll remember your settings. Before I did my OS reinstall, it worked like a dream on my Win10 machine.

Now, something's up. I reinstalled the game, put in the mod and the game sensing the lack of a config brings up the menu for selections like normal... but whereas it's supposed to create said config upon game close, it's just... not anymore. The modder has no clue when I've brought this up, since it still works like normal for him and he's also on 1909.

I've done a lot of tests to see what the issue is it's not caused by anti-virus, tried with it fully uninstalled, it's not going to a VirtualStore in my AppData, and I have no outward indications that anything is blocking anything... but Windows is just not letting a config be generated, and thus my settings for the mod are never saved.

Would appreciate any advice to help me out. Again, it did work as it was supposed to before and, other than the saving of a config, the mod works fine still with the game.

:)

DJKennedy90, Mar 6, 2020
  2. BossDweeb Win User

Mods and Server INI settings - ARK Windows Play Anywhere version w/ Xbox

You will need to visit dedicated ARK forums or mod sites. We deal mostly with Windows related gaming issues here.

Well, except when someone here has the game in question and has used mods or done .ini tweaks to the game.

Running the 'play anywhere' version just adds another layer of complexity to the situation, so if the methods used

in the Steam version cannot be implimented in your version, it may not be possible ?

I believe most things XBOX are dumbed down on the user modifiable level.

Changing settings in the games .ini file is generally easy enough, but I've never been involved in running a dedicated

server and have no idea if modifying those files is possible.

Some games configuration files are in machine code (different file extension than .ini or .cfg) rather than text based

and cannot be modified (easily), and this could be the case with any dedicated server configuration files,

even if the game itself uses .ini files.

[EDIT: A quick search shows this is a popular mod, and there seems to be several stacking mods available....

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=ARK+stacking+mod. ]

BossDweeb, Mar 6, 2020
  3. Unhandled exception has occurred in your application... Object reference not set to an instance of an object. .Net Framework (Windows 10)

Hi,

I am Ganesh Gandhi, an Independent Advisor. I am here to work with you on this problem.

It may be due to Mod installer.

Kindly follow these steps.

1. Add your content.

2. Install game .1

3. Whitelist Mass effect in antivirus/firewall.

4. Run game creating ini's.

5. Install non texture mods(like Faster Elevators & Controller Mod)

6. Download and install the A.L.O.T installer(don't run, only install app).

7. Download MEUITM and the A.L.O.T textures.

8. Run the A.L.O.T installer, drag the un-extracted MEUITM and a lot textures into the program window and install(optimized ini tweaks and the LAA patch are applied though the installer right?).

9. Tweak ini's for desired gameplay changes(mako xp tweaks, Controller Mod ini tweaks ect).

10. Install reshade or enb.

11. Play the game..

Do let me know if you require any further help on this. Will be glad to help you.

GaneshGandhi1982, Mar 6, 2020
  4. nuva Win User

Win10 is somehow not letting a game mod make a config.ini

Snippet C#: INI Files

This code is great, i'm going to use this in one of my programmes *Big Grin Win10 is somehow not letting a game mod make a config.ini :D

is it possible to make a list of all sections in the ini files?

nuva, Mar 6, 2020
Thema:

Win10 is somehow not letting a game mod make a config.ini

1. Win10 is somehow not letting a game mod make a config.ini - Similar Threads - Win10 somehow letting

2. Why is my pc not letting me mod

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my pc not letting me mod: My pc won’t allow me to manually mod my games or emulate old games my friends are saying it’s because of windows 11 but that can’t be it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-pc-not-letting-me-mod/ee101622-1693-462e-b9b8-deca02eb317e
  3. Why is my pc not letting me mod

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my pc not letting me mod: My pc won’t allow me to manually mod my games or emulate old games my friends are saying it’s because of windows 11 but that can’t be it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-pc-not-letting-me-mod/ee101622-1693-462e-b9b8-deca02eb317e
  4. Trouble with mods for games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble with mods for games: Hello, I'm having trouble with mods to games that I installed on my PC. They are not steam mods but I did install them correctly it used to work fine on my old pc, now I'm just able to start the launcher but once I press "launch game" the launcher just closes and that's it. I...
  5. Trouble with mods for games

Trouble with mods for games: Hello, I'm having trouble with mods to games that I installed on my PC. They are not steam mods but I did install them correctly it used to work fine on my old pc, now I'm just able to start the launcher but once I press "launch game" the launcher just closes and that's it. I...
  6. Modding Windows store games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Modding Windows store games: Hi there. I would like to mod Metro last light redux from the windows store but there doesn't seem to be a way to mod it. It is the only game I use for Game Pass and I would like to get my money's worth. Thanks to anyone who responds....
  7. Modding Microsoft Store Games

Modding Microsoft Store Games: I installed Alien: Isolation from Xbox Gamepass for PC. I want to mod the game so the graphics are better and other stuff. But I can't, since it's in the locked WindowsApp folder. Yes, I tried giving myself access, but all I can do is look at the folder contents, I can't read...
  8. Games modding on xbox game pass for PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games modding on xbox game pass for PC: Hello Is it possible to mod the game Endless Legends on the game pass for the PC and if so how is it done? : Many thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/games-modding-on-xbox-game-pass-for-pc/92223c3a-0c88-4964-8bcc-ca9720c30a07
  9. Mods and Server INI settings - ARK Windows Play Anywhere version w/ Xbox

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mods and Server INI settings - ARK Windows Play Anywhere version w/ Xbox: I've seen a few posts on the xbox live and windows "searching for group" section that state they have stacking mods, to allow items to stack in higher quantities and items that don't normally stack, to be able to stack. I was wondering how this is done as I can't seem to find...
  10. Game mod wont turn on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game mod wont turn on: As i have tried to get better FPS in my games i wanted to turn on game mode but i cant do it in the settings then i decided to try and play and do the shortcut i did but nothing happend except i couldnt move in the game my mouse appeared and nothing when my mouse came on the...