Windows 10: Win10 keeps compressing C drive files (new and old). Cannot stop it.

Discus and support Win10 keeps compressing C drive files (new and old). Cannot stop it. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Dear Tenforums users, I have recently (I think it started less than a week ago) encountered problems or rather peculiarities with my Lenovo laptop:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by esmorax, Dec 3, 2018.

1. esmorax Win User

Win10 keeps compressing C drive files (new and old). Cannot stop it.

Dear Tenforums users,

I have recently (I think it started less than a week ago) encountered problems or rather peculiarities with my Lenovo laptop:
    two blue arrows started appearing on nearly all my files and folders (image files, Word documents e.g.). In addition, whenever I create a new file or folder, the same happens right away. Could a recent update be responsible for this and has anyone else encoutered this? I have found a similar phenomenon in this thread, but alas, no solution: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...2-0f49f7696d6b

The major problems that I have encountered are:
    1. I am unable to, for example, copy image files from one folder to the next.
    2. CHKDSK /r or /f does not work, neither does sfc /scannow or updating Windows work.
    3. I have a feeling that this "auto-compressing" is filling up the remaining space (+-10 gig)
    4. whenever I try to "decompress" files by unchecking the "compress contents to save disk space" option, it keeps hanging.
    5. The huge JPG files are not readable - I get the message that this filetype is not supported

Screenshots of the arrows on newly created files/folders: (nearly all files on C drive are like this now)

Win10 keeps compressing C drive files (new and old). Cannot stop it. [​IMG]

Screenshot of the huge JPG files: (as you may appreciate, these are ridiculous file sizes for JPG files...)

Win10 keeps compressing C drive files (new and old). Cannot stop it. [​IMG]

I do not know how to proceed from here. I hope that you can aid me in this matter.

Yours,

:)

esmorax, Dec 3, 2018

2. Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

As you may already know, if this feature is on, every new folder/file you add starts off automatically compressed. If you would like to turn it off for the whole drive, kindly follow these steps:

• Start File Explorer . In the left pane, right-click on the drive that you would not want to be compressed.
    • Click Properties.
    • Make sure that the Compress this drive to save disk space box is unchecked.
    • Click OK then Apply.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Darian Tab, Dec 3, 2018
  3. compress files on the c drive under windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

• What type of files are trying to compress?

It is not recommended to compress any of the system files on C drive, as it may cause serious harm to the computer.

Let us know if you have any further query on Windows, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Dec 3, 2018
  4. Win10 keeps compressing C drive files (new and old). Cannot stop it.

Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

I have followed your steps to no avail. New folders and already existing folders are still compressed even though the C: that option is unchecked.

Marvin Alcala, Dec 3, 2018
Thema:

Win10 keeps compressing C drive files (new and old). Cannot stop it.

1. Win10 keeps compressing C drive files (new and old). Cannot stop it. - Similar Threads - Win10 keeps compressing

2. INSTALL NEW c: DRIVE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    INSTALL NEW c: DRIVE: 1. Installed new C: hard drive. 2. How do I install Windows 10 on it? 3. The BIOS seems messed up. Windows 10 tries to install, but ends up saying "We couldn't find the selected partition."...
  3. My C Drive Keeps losing Space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My C Drive Keeps losing Space: My C Drive Keeps losing Space and yesterday i had 14gb then it went to 799mb and it keeps going down every 5 mins https://gyazo.com/182ef0a5ec8d7333e470531c33c7e1e1.png after 5 mins https://gyazo.com/b05daf23a10fb45995330bc49c01a8fd.png 31443
  4. What is Best Way to Keep Old Boot Drive for New Laptop?

What is Best Way to Keep Old Boot Drive for New Laptop?: I just bought a new laptop still in factory box, it comes with a 1TB 5400 HDD. However, my current laptop has a 1TB SSHD. Both drives have Windows 10 installed. What is the best way to make the SSHD the boot drive in the new laptop? 1) I assume it would not be a good idea...
  5. Moving Win10 C Drive to the 'left'

Moving Win10 C Drive to the 'left': I reinstalled Windows 10 on a new Hard Drive from an ISO but left a partition in front of the C Drive with 137 GB on it, plus another unallocated space at the very front of the drive with 500 MB. It's a long story about how this came to pass but the fact is that it did. The...
  6. File in old hard drive locked, cannot gain access

in Windows 10 Support
    File in old hard drive locked, cannot gain access: Hi all! I've searched across the web for help with this and nothing has seemed to work so far. I pulled a hard drive out of my old Windows 7 (I think) PC and I was trying to salvage some old family photos. I found a file with a lock icon on it. It allows me inside, but all...
  7. cannot create a file on c drive

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot create a file on c drive: Hi, Anywhere on the c drive, I cannot create files. I can only create folders. How can I change this ? Where in Windows 10 can I set myself as the power user ? 61559
  8. Cannot transfer files from old hard drive to new Win 10 laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot transfer files from old hard drive to new Win 10 laptop: My Win 8.1 HP laptop failed to boot after a recent win 8.1 update and I have purchased a new ASUS x556u running Win 10. I have removed my old hard drive [Toshiba HDD2L01 MK7575GSX] placed it in a Dynamode USB3-HD2.5S-BN enclosure and attached it to my new laptop. The Asus...
  9. Window old directory in C drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Window old directory in C drive: Hi All, After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the free upgrade program from MS, the old windows 7 installation has been moved a folder call Windows.old. I am not sure if this is for reverting back to Windows 7 in case Windows 10 installation fails or for some...
  10. Compress PDF files

in Windows 10 Support
    Compress PDF files: Hello, Have lot of pdf files on my disk, I have read about software to compress these files. 1. Is there some program (free if possible) to do it ? 2. Is the compression effective (in percent), so to start installing the program ? 3. After compression, are the files still...