Windows 10: Win10 laptop w/laptop display (no others) labeled 2, can't change to 1

Discus and support Win10 laptop w/laptop display (no others) labeled 2, can't change to 1 in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I've searched but can't find a thread that addresses this. If there is a distinct thread that addresses inability to change laptop display to display... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by jfkjax, Mar 25, 2018.

1. jfkjax Win User

Win10 laptop w/laptop display (no others) labeled 2, can't change to 1

I've searched but can't find a thread that addresses this. If there is a distinct thread that addresses inability to change laptop display to display #1, please let me know.

Here's the problem:
    1. Lenovo ThinkPad T500.
    2. Windows 10, latest update.
    3. Laptop has two display cards built-in.
    3A. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
    3B. Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    4. Only display is the laptop display (no other displays attached).
    5. Display settings indicate laptop display is display #2.
    6. Clicking Win+P shows Project display as "Second screen only."
    7. If I switch to "PC Screen Only" in Project, then of course nothing displays on laptop display.
    8. If I switch to "Show only on 1" in Display Settings, same thing - nothing on laptop display.
    9. With blank screen when I've selected "PC Screen Only," or "Show only on 1", I then change to Display 2 to get display back on laptop display by blindly clicking Win+P, Down Arrow 3 times, Enter.

To me, this makes no sense. I have one display (laptop display) and would like to have it designated as Display 1 in display settings, and "PC Screen Only" in Project when I click Win+P.

This might be a simple thing, but I can't figure it out. Does anyone know how to get the designation corrected since there is only 1 display, the laptop display?

Thank you for your consideration.

:)

jfkjax, Mar 25, 2018

2. Homegroup does not work in Win 10

Hi. Found your solution, but can't find the file you say to delete. Have two desktops and one laptop - desktops upgraded from Win7 to Win10 and laptop came loaded with Win10. Was able to create a Homegroup on the laptop and access it fine on one desktop
    (Desktop 1) without needing a solution. Both computers are displayed in file settings. Other desktop (Desktop 2) has proved stubborn - although the network lists it with the other two computers, the Homegroup list does not. When I try to join the Homegroup,
    tells me that it can't be set up on Dekstop 2. Tried to find the file to delete, but once I got to Local Service, there was no folder named AppData and a search on PeerNetworking turned up nothing. This was the case on all computers. So am at a loss - any
    suggestions?

OK, sorry, read the posts more thoroughly and found the files under PeerNetworking. Followed the directions carefully, and deleted the three "idstore" files on the laptop and Desktop 1. Oddly, these files were missing from Desktop 2 (the problem computer).
    Had all turned off, turned them back on and the same situation persists - can connect as before between the laptop and Desktop 1, but can't do it for Desktop 2. After entering the password, it says that it can't be set up. At this point, am at a loss. Any
    suggestions?

David Rudden, Mar 25, 2018
  3. Executing the free Win10 upgrade from Win7 Home (32-bit)

Hi,

Encountering difficulty when attempting to upgrade Win7 Home to Win10 on a LG RS90 i5 laptop. The display showing Upgrading Windows always hanged at 32% with Installing features and drivers at 6%. I had repeated the upgrade run on various occasions on this
    LG i5 laptop (model RS90) in the last 2 weeks. All attempts failed on this display output. What are the likely issues and recommended solutions?

Note: I have upgraded 3 other laptops (2 Simplified Chinese Win7Home, 1 English Win7Home) on Intel i5 and Intel Atom CPUs. These upgrades were successful.

/

danz2world, Mar 25, 2018
  4. Win10 laptop w/laptop display (no others) labeled 2, can't change to 1

Factory installed drivers, or did you manually update or install your own? Always been like that? What happens if you connect another display?

alphanumeric, Mar 26, 2018
  5. Helmut Win User
    The hardware is about 10 years old, it maybe starting to go out of spec or failing.
    Compatibility with Windows 10 could also be a problem.
    https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-art...er-Series.aspx
    Has basic hardware servicing been done ?

You can go to the Device Manager > View > Show Hidden devices > Monitors > and go to all the monitors listed including anything greyed out and uninstall them all.
    Then Restart and that should just install the one monitor (laptop display) correctly.

Helmut, Mar 26, 2018
  6. jfkjax Win User
    alphanumeric and Helmut, Thank you for your replies.

1. The drivers were installed when Windows 10 was installed. There was nothing on the laptop prior to installing Windows 10.
    2. I don't have another display to try attaching as suggested.
    3. Not sure if it's always been like this or not. I just started looking at the configuration settings a week or so ago.
    4. To check hardware status, I've run a bunch of Lenovo tests and update checks. Nothing found.
    5. I did the Device Manager suggestion. 2 PnP monitors listed ... clicked "Show Hidden devices" ... found 2 more PnP monitors for a total of 4 ... uninstalled all 4 ... restarted ... same situation. Results: Device Manager now only lists 2 PnP monitors total (no hidden monitors) even though the only monitor is the laptop built-in monitor, but no change on the designation of laptop monitor being number "2" monitor.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. Not sure why it is like this. Might be something like Win10 compatibility, old hardware, or similar.

I've taken enough of your time on this. I can live with it as it is. Might decide to upgrade to a new and current laptop, or just proceed as is. Anyway, your responses are greatly appreciated!

jfkjax, Mar 26, 2018
  7. I personally don't know of any way to change that number from Windows. There is no setting option for it in Windows. I run triple monitors on my desktop, and dual on my laptop.

On my desktop PC the numbers will change based on how many monitors I have plugged in, and what ports I plug them into. I can plug 1 monitor in any of my Video cards ports and it gets the number 1. If I plug a second monitor in the one labeled 1 can become 2. It all depends on what ports are used. I have Mini HDMI, DVI, DVI. With three monitors plugged in the one in the MINI HDMI is monitor no 1. If I unplug it, the 1 moves to one of the other displays. I have never had an instance where there wasn't a 1 shown.

On my laptop my second display is connected via USB (DisplayLink). As far as I know my laptops built in display is always display 1. My laptop also has dual graphics, mine are AMD APU and AMD GPU. If you have a TV with an HDMI input and an HDMI cable, that will work as a second display on your laptop, assuming your laptop has an HDMI out. If its only VGA that complicates things somewhat. I was just thinking plugging a second monitor in, a real one, might toggle the numbers around. And that that might stick when you unplugged it again.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Win10 laptop w/laptop display (no others) labeled 2, can't change to 1

1. Win10 laptop w/laptop display (no others) labeled 2, can't change to 1 - Similar Threads - Win10 laptop laptop

2. Laptop win10 display language

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop win10 display language: It's a Dell laptop purchased in 2019 in China.When I was using it, the OS was English. Then I did a factory reset. The display language is in Chinese. I've tried to add English but in the display language in Time and Language, there's only Chinese in the dropdown list. I just...
  3. Laptop win10 display language

in Windows 10 Customization
    Laptop win10 display language: It's a Dell laptop purchased in 2019 in China.When I was using it, the OS was English. Then I did a factory reset. The display language is in Chinese. I've tried to add English but in the display language in Time and Language, there's only Chinese in the dropdown list. I just...
  4. Laptop win10 display language

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. I can't press w and 2 together in my laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't press w and 2 together in my laptop.: I can't press w and 2 together in my laptop.I had reset my laptop but after resetting also I was facing this problem.I tried a new keyboard also but then also w and 2 were not pressing together....
  6. I can't press w and 2 together in my laptop.

I can't press w and 2 together in my laptop.: I can't press w and 2 together in my laptop.I had reset my laptop but after resetting also I was facing this problem.I tried a new keyboard also but then also w and 2 were not pressing together....
  7. 2 Monitor, 2 User, 1 Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 Monitor, 2 User, 1 Laptop: I currently have the following setup: One laptop with an additional monitor setup set to duplicate Screen. So the screen on the laptop and the screen on the monitor display the same image.I want to make it so that, With additional keyboards and mice, Make one user work on the...
  8. 2 Monitor, 2 User, 1 Laptop

2 Monitor, 2 User, 1 Laptop: I currently have the following setup: One laptop with an additional monitor setup set to duplicate Screen. So the screen on the laptop and the screen on the monitor display the same image.I want to make it so that, With additional keyboards and mice, Make one user work on the...
  9. Can't change Display from number 2 to number 1 on Display Settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't change Display from number 2 to number 1 on Display Settings: Hi, Since I've started using a new secondary monitor, my apps will always open in the secondary one. This is because on the Display settings it appears as the primary, even if I force my actual primary to be the primary, the secondary keeps having the role. I've tried to do...
  10. Can't change brightness on Win10 Home Laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't change brightness on Win10 Home Laptop: I think that Intel Iris Plus Graphics is messing with the screen display brightness because the keys don't work but when I uninstall the device it still doesn't allow me to change the brightness it just shows the slider moving I haven't installed any new Win10 updates I just...