Windows 10: Win10: magnet uri protocol missing

Discus and support Win10: magnet uri protocol missing in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; In "Choose default apps by Protocol", there is no "Magnet" protocol, and no action is taken when "magnet:" URI is entered or linked in the browser.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by jrh-001, Feb 28, 2019.

1. jrh-001 Win User

Win10: magnet uri protocol missing

In "Choose default apps by Protocol", there is no "Magnet" protocol, and no action is taken when "magnet:" URI is entered or linked in the browser.

Description:

qBittorrent had been the default application for Magnet URIs however due to the Torch browser's poor install implementation, it asserts itself as the default for the magnet protocol even though told not to.

Due to the insane method that Windows10 uses to set defaults, qBittorrent isn't a valid "app" selection for changing from Torch to something else -- this is a serious, serious functionality flaw in Windows10, imho -- I had no choice but to uninstall the Torch browser, under the assumption that once it was out of the way, Windows would a) default back to qBittorrent or b) default back to an unselected handling method and I could assign qBittorrent through the popup dialog as I had done previously.

However, this was not the case.

• In the configuration section "Choose default apps by Protocol", the Magnet protocol is missing.
    • In a browser, using the "magnet:" protocol or clicking on a magnetic link produces no reaction. No choice dialog or other behavior.

I surmise that the browser is handing this information off to the OS but the OS has forgotten what to do about it, so nothing happens. It feels like a registry entry is a bit confused and need to be reset/restored/reconstructed.

Really need a way to repair this; handling magnet uris by hand is surprisingly frustrating in very, very short order.

:)

jrh-001, Feb 28, 2019
  2. Shaminda Hemanath [MVP], Feb 28, 2019
  3. MrWhoopee Win User
    MrWhoopee, Feb 28, 2019
  4. Win10: magnet uri protocol missing

One or More Network Protocols Missing

Hi David,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

You might experience network or Internet connection issues in Windows for a number of reasons. Some common issues that can cause these problems are:

• Corrupted or incompatible drivers.
    • Network connection settings.
    • Hardware or software problems.
    • Your router and the network adapter in your PC might not work together.
    I suggest you to follow the steps recommended by Nachappa C K
    on December 5, 2015 on similar issue from below link and check if it resolves the issue.

One or more network protocols are missing since update KB3120677.

Hope this information is helpful.

SujataMoktan, Feb 28, 2019
Thema:

Win10: magnet uri protocol missing

1. Win10: magnet uri protocol missing - Similar Threads - Win10 magnet uri

2. Magnet

in Windows 10 Customization
    Magnet: Today Magnet handlers no longer work I tried with two different torrent clients made no difference. Tried in three different browsers same result. Disconnected my anti-virus program, no difference. Looked up the issue on the IE didn't help First instruction said said to open...
  3. Magnet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Magnet: Today Magnet handlers no longer work I tried with two different torrent clients made no difference. Tried in three different browsers same result. Disconnected my anti-virus program, no difference. Looked up the issue on the IE didn't help First instruction said said to open...
  4. Can't change protocol association for magnet links to something else than Chrome

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't change protocol association for magnet links to something else than Chrome: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Poilaucul [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jcm8u8/cant_change_protocol_association_for_magnet_links/
  5. Can't change magnet protocol URI program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change magnet protocol URI program: When going to default programs for protocols, it has google chrome set as the default program for these links. I want the default to be my torrent program, but the only option available is google chrome. I've tried making an update here...
  6. Can't change magnet protocol URI program

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't change magnet protocol URI program: When going to default programs for protocols, it has google chrome set as the default program for these links. I want the default to be my torrent program, but the only option available is google chrome. I've tried making an update here...
  7. Missing Network Protocols

in Browsers and Email
    Missing Network Protocols: I'm trying to get to Gibson's Research website. I cannot access it. I'm being told I'm missing network protocols. Haven't a clue. Any idea's. How do I find what protocols I'm missing. Windows 10 on a Dell Venue 8 pro tablet. Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Edge cannot...
  8. Network Protocols Missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Protocols Missing: Noted immediately after 1511 total system update, yet may have been inherited from an earlier build... All is working well, yet Network Troubleshooter reports "one or more network protocols is missing." Various posted remedies have been verified or implemented, to no...
  9. Missing Internet protocols

Missing Internet protocols: So I have been without internet for a couple weeks and have spent hours trying to figure out what is wrong with my computer. I only have an ethernet port on my machine, connected to my router via powerline adapters (which work with my other PCs). Windows troubleshooter tells...
  10. Missing Protocols

Missing Protocols: I am attempting to use my Internet but it will not let me to put it straightforwardly. It shows a connection but will not let me use it. I ran the troubleshooter and it tells me I'm missing one or more network protocols and asks me if I'd like to try fixes as admin. I...