Windows 10: Win10 magnifier does not match up to Win7 search facility

Discus and support Win10 magnifier does not match up to Win7 search facility in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For 10 years I have been running my W7 desktop. It's been the best system I have ever run. Rock solid (I cant remember when I last had a BSOD several... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JonDBee, Sep 7, 2020.

1. JonDBee Win User

Win10 magnifier does not match up to Win7 search facility

For 10 years I have been running my W7 desktop. It's been the best system I have ever run. Rock solid (I cant remember when I last had a BSOD several years ago), and a totally reliable host for all my apps. However the system has been slowing and pausing increasingly frequently in the last 6 months or so, and although Ive done various obvious things, I cant eradicate the problem, so I persuaded myself to buy a big desktop to run Win10. (Ryzen 12 cpus, 32GB, M.2 SSD etc).

The results show that Win10 does not appear to be a forward step for me. There is an almost impenetrable layer of screenfilling junkware that I will never need in just about every system feature. I get BSODs about 1 - 2 times a day, plus about 3 - 6 crashes of Firefox per day. The Win10 installation (Pro) was straight from Microsoft with no bloatware. At purchase, all the network discovery services had been turned off, so I had to sort all that out for the new box to even see my home LAN.

I have been appalled at the huge number of totally needless changes that MS have made to the good utilitarian stuff in Win7. E.g. File Explorer is a non-obvious mess with tabs all over the place.

What brings me to write is that I cannot yet find the facility that was one of Win7's great workflow enablers, the ability to press the Windows key and put in a search term that could be sought over ALL files and all emails, or even input more than one search term by enclosing several terms in parentheses, in order to find what you were looking for.

This HAS to have been the single greatest workflow enabler in the whole Win7 operating system, as it allows all data objects to be searched associatively, so you dont have to create deep multi-level fixed hierarchies of folders to separately store similar stuff together in order to find things. The search facility also removes much of the pressure to have an email folder hierarchy that mirrors that of the file system (Big +).

Anyway, that magic facility seems to have gone, and if thats really so then I am sore about it. If this type of search can be done in Win10 could I please learn how?

I should add that I have looked at the magnifier on Win10 and it does not measure up at all. Why it wants to search the web beats me, I have a browser for that and I then have my bookmarks and History to help me afterwards. I cannot make the magnifier look at my considerable collection of .pst file I use with MS Outlook. To me, its clumsy and useless.

Perhaps I should have chosen a system where all the devices had Win 7 drivers..

Thanks for any help given,

Jon

:)

JonDBee, Sep 7, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Magnifier

Interesting, you have a lot more values in that key than I do. LensHeight was the first on in my list, but Invert was added when I turned on colour inversion. I don't have ZoomIncrement, the zoom level it opens with is the value in Magnification.

I had a look at the same key on a Win7 PC that hadn't used magnifier yet. It didn't exist, but when I used WinKey and + the key was created. It was the same as for Win10 except it was missing RunningState. Also, the magnifier in Win7 behaved exactly the same way as in Win10 - only one press needed, remembering my zoom level and so on.

I haven't found any setting in the Ease of Access Centre that adds any of your values. Do you have Classic Shell or similar installed (I don't) - that may have added the extra values.

Win10 magnifier does not match up to Win7 search facility [​IMG]

Bree, Sep 7, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Magnifier & Speech Recognition problems

Suggest you pick one of the ones I listed- or search for another- something that is really intuitive and easy...

Are you aware of these controls?

Win10 magnifier does not match up to Win7 search facility [​IMG]

dalchina, Sep 7, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

How do I add display magnifier to the Start Menu of Windows 10

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key.
    • Search and click on Windows Easy of Access.
    • Right click on magnifier.
    • Select pin to Start.
    Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Sep 7, 2020
Thema:

1. Win10 magnifier does not match up to Win7 search facility - Similar Threads - Win10 magnifier does

2. Search suggestions with magnifying glass

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search suggestions with magnifying glass: Since a recent update, the search field window pops up intermittently with advertising for AI above the Recent area. I can click that shut, but it's also now displaying weird tips that I don't need as questions with a search magnifying glass at the end of each one. I can...
  3. Win7 on Win10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win7 on Win10?: Hey, When i boot up my windows 10 machine i get a classic windows 7 start up menu i believe it is when i made a win7 bootable but now i have this permanently. i went so far as to reset my pc nothing works. Please help! Link to video of what happens:...
  4. Why does the search facility offer me options that aren't available?

in Cortana
    Why does the search facility offer me options that aren't available?: For example, if I search for "VPN", the search results offer me "VPN Settings", but when I click on this, it just takes me to Windows Settings, and because the machine is provided by work, I don't have access to VPN settings. It's happened to me a lot already, and I'm only...
  5. I have lost the search facility

in Windows 10 Support
    I have lost the search facility: Hello everyone went to use the search facility (using the icon next to start button) - window appeared, and after just 2 seconds disappeared. I do not use this much, but believe(?) that recent windows 10 updates have had an influence on this failure. Has anyone else had the...
  6. win7->win10 outlook 2010 will not search

in Microsoft Office and 365
    win7->win10 outlook 2010 will not search: hello, after upgrading from windows 7 to 10, it would seem like the search option doesnt work, ive rebuild the indexing file and search options still arent unavailable.. ive tried within outlook 2010 to upgrade to the latest vesion of search (in outlook options), it tells...
  7. win7->win10 outlook 2010 will not search

in Windows 10 Support
    win7->win10 outlook 2010 will not search: hello, after upgrading from windows 7 to 10, it would seem like the search option doesnt work, ive rebuild the indexing file and search options still arent unavailable.. ive tried within outlook 2010 to upgrade to the latest vesion of search (in outlook options), it tells...
  8. Is There A Win10 Text to Speech Facility Included?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is There A Win10 Text to Speech Facility Included?: I'm googling around and getting misled and confused... is there text to speech as part of win10? Or as a downloadable option? 134796
  9. Cortana ~ Type here to search does not minimize to a magnifying glass.

in Cortana
    Cortana ~ Type here to search does not minimize to a magnifying glass.: I recently reset Windows 10 and I am pleased with the results. Cortana is one of the new features that came bundled with the reset. On the startbar Cortana's "Type here to search" message does not minimize to a magnifying glass symbol. It shows continuously taking up...
  10. Can't click on results of "Best match" in Windows search (Win10)

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't click on results of "Best match" in Windows search (Win10): Hi all, I need help because this is driving me crazy. Suddenly I can't click (or press enter) on most icons best match suggests as they seem to be dead. It seems to be mostly app-related since I can't do it for matches like Chrome, Drive, Word... but it seems to be...