Windows 10: Win10 needs F8 functionality

Discus and support Win10 needs F8 functionality in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Win10 needs F8 functionality at boot time. I have a system that updated, and now just crasheses and restarts. OCCASIONALLY it will boot to the repair... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DFHammack55, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Win10 needs F8 functionality

Win10 needs F8 functionality at boot time. I have a system that updated, and now just crasheses and restarts. OCCASIONALLY it will boot to the repair menu, but there is no way to call it at boot. VERY frustrating! *Sad

:)

DFHammack55, Sep 10, 2015

2. Windows 10 does not boot after a forced replacing of the graphics card (old graphic card drivers still in place)

Pressing F8 does not do anything. Tried to press F8 immediatly after BIOS messages but it just shows those messages. I have read in a site that win10 was made to boot as fast as possible but the side effect is that the user can no longer use F8 during
    boot up to force win10 into safe mode.

Fernando Costa - 1111, Sep 10, 2015
  3. rustyrob Win User
    Windows 10 won't start

I have similar problem with HP700. I think it is a conflict win10 vs Norton. I need to get into safe mode but f8 does not do it.

how do I enter safe mode?

rustyrob, Sep 10, 2015
  4. rfruth Win User

Win10 needs F8 functionality

rfruth, Sep 10, 2015
  5. WhyMe Win User
    You can actually permanently have the old F8 Safe Start button back in Win10 by opening your command prompt as administrator and entering the following command:
    Code: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy[/quote] It'll add maybe 1 or 2 seconds to your boot time. But it will mean you can always get to Safe Mode come-what-may (unless the HDD is physically dead). If you find you don't want the F8 button any more and wish to have the quicker boot time, then you can use the following command to undo:
    Code: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard[/quote]

WhyMe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Win10 needs F8 functionality

1. Win10 needs F8 functionality - Similar Threads - Win10 needs functionality

2. F7/F8/F9 Keys don't perform previous functions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    F7/F8/F9 Keys don't perform previous functions: My CRM Maximizer has keyboard shortcuts for the Shift+F7, F8, and Ctrl+F9.But they've stopped working and now perform Windows tasks like chaning screen illumination levelThese were major time saving features that I used repeatedly throughout the day.Without them, I have to...
  3. F7/F8/F9 Keys don't perform previous functions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    F7/F8/F9 Keys don't perform previous functions: My CRM Maximizer has keyboard shortcuts for the Shift+F7, F8, and Ctrl+F9.But they've stopped working and now perform Windows tasks like chaning screen illumination levelThese were major time saving features that I used repeatedly throughout the day.Without them, I have to...
  4. F7/F8/F9 Keys don't perform previous functions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Win10 sleep mode not functional

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 sleep mode not functional: Does anyone have a utility that will make a Win10 pc go into sleep mode similar to what the Win10 command Start- >Power->Sleep purportedly does ? The Win10 function would be fine if it worked. . . but it doesn't. I've done 4 rather lengthy procedures that are on the forums,...
  6. F7, F8, F9 keys do no longer function correctly

F7, F8, F9 keys do no longer function correctly: Hi, On my laptop HP EliteBook 850 G6 the function keys are shared with the control of hardware: F7 Loudspeaker: turn up; F8 Mikrophone: on/off; F9 Keyboard illumination: on/off I use occasionally a program which needs these keys: The last time I used it those keys...
  7. Search function in Win10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search function in Win10: Hi, I noticed that, when performing a search via the Windows search function and then clicking on "see more results", it opens an explorer window with the search results. So far, so good. The issue is, when I do the next search the same way and then clicking again on "see...
  8. function keys f6, f7 and f8 suddenly turned off

function keys f6, f7 and f8 suddenly turned off: the three sound keys on laptop suddenly stopped working - no sound from the computer. Happened when I ran a movie on You Tube. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/function-keys-f6-f7-and-f8-suddenly-turned-off/8e6b2dd0-d2f9-4522-8ca0-73676dd004de
  9. Win10 Photo Viewer intermittent functioning, need to reboot often

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 Photo Viewer intermittent functioning, need to reboot often: Have been reading 10 Forums for some time and it appears it's a great site *Smile Have a question: Had Win7, but the HD failed and my computer repair team put me in an SSD with Win10. It works and I got rid of the bloatware. I also edited the registry w/the keys to install...
  10. Fraught with F8

in Windows 10 Support
    Fraught with F8: Background: Recently I attempted a computer reset. which went wrong, so I got local professional support from someone I have trusted before. Today I attempted to use F8 to safe boot the system to see if I can use it to solve a problem I have with uninstallation of a...