Windows 10: win10 oem

Discus and support win10 oem in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Purchaced a OEM DVD of win10 --I am not sure what to look for when looking for the product code. I am accustomed to seeing 4 sets of 5 numbers but do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by robert, Nov 3, 2016.

1. robert Win User

win10 oem

Purchaced a OEM DVD of win10 --I am not sure what to look for when looking for the product code. I am accustomed to seeing 4 sets of 5 numbers but do not see the set on this package.

:)

robert, Nov 3, 2016

2. Win7 Pro (OEM) to Win10

Just tried to use the MS 'Media Creation Tool' to download an .iso of Win10 Pro 64-bit - the only OS offered in the dropdown box is Win10 Home!

Currently running Win7 Pro (OEM) on my last machine to be upgraded. I haven't yet done the automatic 'upgrade' to Win10. Of course, I know I need to do this before doing a clean install with a downloaded .iso. Is this the reason for no choice of the Pro
    version?

If first I do the free upgrade from Win7 Pro (OEM) to Win10...

a) Will the upgraded OS show as Win10 Pro (OEM)?
    and;

b) If I then run the 'Media Creation Tool', will I then be offered a choice of Win10 Home or Win10 Pro in the drop-down?

It was always my understanding that Win7 Pro (OEM) was entitled to a free upgrade to Win10 Pro (OEM)...

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Henry

HenryHonda, Nov 3, 2016
  3. Win7 license code not valid for Win10 ?

Hi Andre

If I have windows 7 and i want upgrade to windows 10, Can i buy license oem win10 or olp win10 ?. Because license upgrade is more expensive than license oem win10

nguyenchuong90, Nov 3, 2016
  4. mrgeek Win User

win10 oem

An OEM DVD can be used to recover your present PC to it's orig state. It may also incl optional mfr software and drivers. It's key is tied to your orig device and can't be used on another one, thus no product key. If you bought a retail Win 10 DVD, it would have a key that can be installed on one device at any given time, thus transferable.

mrgeek, Nov 3, 2016
  5. Kari Win User
    That is incorrect.

When buying valid OEM or System Builder version of Windows 10 from a respectable vendor, it comes with a product key (like this one) and can be used to clean install Windows 10 to a new PC that has never had any version of Windows installed.

The difference to Retail version is that the license is not transferable; when once activated on certain hardware it can only be used on same hardware.

In OP's case, if the DVD is genuine and vendor honest, it's the vendor who should provide the product key. As far as I have understood genuine Windows 10 is only available as software download or USB, the OEM and retail boxes only containing the product key or in case of USB also the install media.

In genuine Windows 10 OEM boxes product key sticker is clearly visible.

Kari, Nov 3, 2016
  6. mrgeek Win User
    Sorry if I misunderstood the op's post. I was under the impression that by OEM, he meant the recovery dvd, a hard copy of the recovery drive which would be wiped in a clean install or if he made a usb copy.

mrgeek, Nov 4, 2016
  7. Kieran28 Win User
    I recently purchased this item from this retailer:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ome_10_64.html
    The DVD arrived in a legitimate-looking envelope with a COA sticker, red warning tape with text saying (if you open this envelope you agree to the license terms... blah, blah) etc.
    However nowhere on the outer envelope or on the inner envelope can I find a product key. There are several bar codes with numeric codes under them. Is one of those the product key? In all my past Windows purchases the product key is blatantly displayed on a yellow sticker with bold letters proclaiming "PRODUCT KEY". That sort of sticker is not present on my product.
    Any ideas?

EDIT: I found another thread online with this image of the COA sticker:

win10 oem [​IMG]

My disc came with that sticker, but the product key is covered with some scratch-off gray stuff to hide it. DUH. There's even a little "key" icon next to it. Double-DUH. Nowhere does it say "product key" like it used to though. *Smile

Kieran28, Dec 9, 2016
  8. Superfly Win User

win10 oem

You are hijacking a solved thread...but anyway - that site seems dubious - no money-back/paypal guarantee?

Superfly, Dec 9, 2016
  9. Barman58 Win User
    Due to my involvement in Photography I am well aware of B&H Photovideo, The largest independent Photo/Tech store in the USA. If you have any issues or concerns - Contact them and they should sort the issue out quickly

Barman58, Dec 9, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    I agree with Barman58. B&H Photovideo is an extremely reputable large retailer with a huge physical store in New York City.

NavyLCDR, Dec 9, 2016
  11. Superfly Win User
    K guys, B&H is all good, but why the dud DVD?

Superfly, Dec 9, 2016
  12. Barman58 Win User
    From reading the OP's edit it appears that the Product key was present all the time, but protected against someone using it, (or selling the key online), by use of a scratch off panel - as is used in a lot of areas these days.

It seems that the old method of printing the key on the outside of the packaging with an obvious label ( that might have well said "Steal Me" rather than "Product Key") has been replaced with a method more appropriate to today's realities *Wink *Smile

Barman58, Dec 9, 2016
  13. fireberd Win User

win10 oem

I've dealt with B&H for a long time. Most of my purchases were OK. However, I bought a ($900) recording interface unit, that was returned because of problems. It was replaced by another unit (that I assumed was new) however as it turned out the replacement unit was not new and had "rack rash" (scratches) on the case cover and on the rack mounting ears and a scratch on the inside of the window for the I/O status display. I returned it and got a refund and purchased a new unit elsewhere. B&H apologized for sending the used unit but that was not enough.

fireberd, Dec 9, 2016
  14. Superfly Win User
    Oh I see... I missed the greyed-out bit... triple-doh on me... LOL!

Superfly, Dec 10, 2016
  15. Kieran28 Win User
    Yes, I've been shopping at B&H for years and am a big fan. They have done right several times for me when I had issues. I actually submitted a question about the product key before discovering it myself, and they got back to me pretty quickly suggesting I return the disc for a refund.

Note to self: people don't notice edits to your original post. I'm really surprised how many people in this thread missed my edit. I posted the edit less than an hour after the original post, and before any responses.

Also, I didn't mean to imply that the B&H site was less than legit. I was wondering if there was some other place I should look for / obtain the key. Sorry for all the confusion!

To summarize for future search results:
    1) The product key for the Win10 OEM DVD is on the COA sticker (certificate of authenticity) you just have to scratch off the security coating. The OEM DVD is from Microsoft, intended for system builders. The COA sticker is meant to be applied to the outside of the computer you build (and presumably sell to someone else).
    2) B&H Photo Video is an excellent online retailer. I highly recommend them.

win10 oem :)

Kieran28, Dec 12, 2016
Thema:

win10 oem

1. win10 oem - Similar Threads - win10 oem

2. Is windows 10 OEM Win10 pro eligible for virtualization without breaking terms of use?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is windows 10 OEM Win10 pro eligible for virtualization without breaking terms of use?: Hello,I have read about windows licenses over the past day, however I don't feel like the information on the internet is quite informative.Therefore I hope to find someone who knows about licensing terms for windows :I have a PC that came with an OEM Windows 10 license.Can I...
  3. Is windows 10 OEM Win10 pro eligible for virtualization without breaking terms of use?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is windows 10 OEM Win10 pro eligible for virtualization without breaking terms of use?: Hello,I have read about windows licenses over the past day, however I don't feel like the information on the internet is quite informative.Therefore I hope to find someone who knows about licensing terms for windows :I have a PC that came with an OEM Windows 10 license.Can I...
  4. Is windows 10 OEM Win10 pro eligible for virtualization without breaking terms of use?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Reinstall Windows 10 with Win10 Home OEM and Win10 Pro Upg from Microsoft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall Windows 10 with Win10 Home OEM and Win10 Pro Upg from Microsoft: I have a hp laptop 2015 that came with Windows 10 Home OEM. I purchased an upgrade from Microsoft for Windows 10 Pro in 2016 and upgraded the Hp laptop to Windows 10 Pro in 2016 itself. Since them i have been using it.Now i want to reinstall my windows 10 on the same HP...
  6. Reinstall Windows 10 with Win10 Home OEM and Win10 Pro Upg from Microsoft

Reinstall Windows 10 with Win10 Home OEM and Win10 Pro Upg from Microsoft: I have a hp laptop 2015 that came with Windows 10 Home OEM. I purchased an upgrade from Microsoft for Windows 10 Pro in 2016 and upgraded the Hp laptop to Windows 10 Pro in 2016 itself. Since them i have been using it.Now i want to reinstall my windows 10 on the same HP...
  7. Reinstall Windows 10 with Win10 Home OEM and Win10 Pro Upg from Microsoft

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. How to transfer Win10 license from old PC to Parallels - computer was OEM Win7, upgraded to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to transfer Win10 license from old PC to Parallels - computer was OEM Win7, upgraded to...: Have a very old Dell PC that came with OEM Windows 7 Pro. I upgraded it to Windows 8 Pro with a paid license. Later, it was upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, with a free upgrade by Microsoft.Now I have Mac Mini M2, and have installed Parallels to run PC applications that I still...
  9. How to transfer Win10 license from old PC to Parallels - computer was OEM Win7, upgraded to...

How to transfer Win10 license from old PC to Parallels - computer was OEM Win7, upgraded to...: Have a very old Dell PC that came with OEM Windows 7 Pro. I upgraded it to Windows 8 Pro with a paid license. Later, it was upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, with a free upgrade by Microsoft.Now I have Mac Mini M2, and have installed Parallels to run PC applications that I still...
  10. How to transfer Win10 license from old PC to Parallels - computer was OEM Win7, upgraded to...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation