Windows 10: Win10 on 8.1 from iso - what workked what did not, for me

Discus and support Win10 on 8.1 from iso - what workked what did not, for me in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I paid for win 8 and have the product key and the receipt; same with the latter upgrade to add media center. tried the ms "create media tool"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by johnwerneken, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Win10 on 8.1 from iso - what workked what did not, for me

I paid for win 8 and have the product key and the receipt; same with the latter upgrade to add media center.

tried the ms "create media tool" http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/w...d=ms_wol_win10

of course I selected download; mistake

external drive - running mounted install from target - asked for win 10 key - neither legit win 8 key nor nany of the 50 other I have < which are not the ones running> worked
    ]
    moved it all to target partition on targewt drive - same

to usb - same

made bootable usb - not same; I can skip key; now it fails as can not find drivers due to 'running from install media'

so

had to think as a normal person - very hard work lol

ran the tool not saved it locally

worked fine

:)

johnwerneken, Aug 3, 2015
  2. what!?!? Win User

Apps not closing, still running in background

Thanks for the response. I am not looking for a "close all" function. Sometimes I intentionally want to leave an app running. In windows phone 8.1, I could exit and close th app by merely selecting the arrow/back button, I am looking for that same functionality.
    When I'm in an app, I want to be able to exit directly from there and not have it continuing in the background.

what!?!?, Aug 3, 2015
  3. what!?!? Win User
    Apps not closing, still running in background

I just got my Lumia 950 phone. On my prior Windows phone, when I pressed the arrow/back button on the bottom left screen, I would exit the app. On Windows 10 phone, I've been doing that and I just realized I'm not exiting the apps. I had intentionally not
    exited an app (because it had my boarding pass). Instead of back button, I pressed the middle window button. Later when I went back to call up my airline app, I pressed the arrow/back button and held it. Similar to my old windows phone, it showed me all the
    apps that were open. SURPRISE! unlike my previous phone, no app had been closing. Right now, I can't seem to find a "one click" way to exit an app. The only way is after I've done a few things, I hold the back button and click the "X" on each of the open items.

Can someone tell me how to exit an app with one click or swipe so that it is not still running, i.e. when I press the back button I will not see it? I'm sure this is something simple. I search the instructions that came with the phone and looked in the
    forum but haven't found the answer.

thanks in advance the assist.

what!?!?, Aug 3, 2015
  4. Win10 on 8.1 from iso - what workked what did not, for me

my experimental partition has been win 10 for a while.

my 8.1 however was in 'wait' status as far as winupdate for 10 goes

this short circuits that

johnwerneken, Aug 3, 2015
Thema:

Win10 on 8.1 from iso - what workked what did not, for me

1. Win10 on 8.1 from iso - what workked what did not, for me - Similar Threads - Win10 iso workked

2. What is the ISO file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the ISO file?: I have a digital camera and taking photos and videos. However, when I transfer it to the computer it appears as an abcd.iso file. I can't open it.Does anyone know what an ISO file is and how do I convert or open the photos?...
  3. What is the ISO file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the ISO file?: I have a digital camera and taking photos and videos. However, when I transfer it to the computer it appears as an abcd.iso file. I can't open it.Does anyone know what an ISO file is and how do I convert or open the photos?...
  4. what is an iso

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what is an iso: what is an iso https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-an-iso/acaa9c60-ceec-4325-9a7c-c37d55e55b1a
  5. what is an iso

what is an iso: what is an iso https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-an-iso/acaa9c60-ceec-4325-9a7c-c37d55e55b1a
  6. What exactly is UEFI and why is it stopping me from installing Win10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What exactly is UEFI and why is it stopping me from installing Win10?: I have the following components: Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X38-DS5 4x WD20EARS HDDs Using the onboard Intel Matrix RAID Controller, I setup the drives in RAID5. So I want to install Windows 10 on the 4 WD HDDs, which are in RAID5. I know the motherboard is old, but it still...
  7. What are these icons and where did they come from?

What are these icons and where did they come from?: What are these icons and where did they come from? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this/cf0a6271-25ed-41a9-af6a-98253a7e93eb
  8. What is Profile 1?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What is Profile 1?: Ever since I was forced to upgrade to Microsoft Edge without my consent, at the bottom of the screen when I click on the e, each web site has a name which, if it is short enough, ends with "Profile 1"....
  9. what is "%1"?

in Windows 10 Customization
    what is "%1"?: When I go to open a picture something called "%1" is an option to open it with, can you tell m what it is? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-1/1a6afc78-7034-4576-82fb-3eb05aadb90d
  10. What is the ISO file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the ISO file: Greetings to all. I loaded the media creation tool and chosed the option of upgrade this PC now. The download was long hours and failed . Now I want to test the other choice to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD or ISO file). Now the Problem I did not understand...