Windows 10: Win10 - Password Problem on local account

Discus and support Win10 - Password Problem on local account in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I never used a password on my Win 10 but wanted to set one up today. Problem is that I need to type in my old password, which I didnt even know I had.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Cykliptus, May 15, 2020.

1. Win10 - Password Problem on local account

I never used a password on my Win 10 but wanted to set one up today.

Problem is that I need to type in my old password, which I didnt even know I had.

My Pc always just booted to my desktop, I never had to type in a password. I am using a Local account if that matters.

It says in my account information that I have a password set which really confuses me.

I changed my microsoft account password and tried the new one but that didnt do it, I guess they are different?

I also tried leaving the old password field empty but that doesnt work.

submitted by /u/Cykliptus
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Cykliptus, May 15, 2020
  2. Yaqub K Win User

Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, May 15, 2020
  3. Forgot Local Password

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and reset the password for the local account and check.

• Login in to your Microsoft account.

• Press Windows logo key + X key.

• Select Computer Management.

• Click on Local user and group.

• In the right window pane, double click on user’s folder.

• Right click on local user account and select set password and follow the on screen instructions.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, May 15, 2020
  4. Keith Win User

Win10 - Password Problem on local account

Make Win10 account local without the password

If you are using a Microsoft account and forgot the password, but still remember the PIN, you need to reset your password online from Microsoft website.

Step 1: sign in to Windows 10 with the PIN.

Step 2: Open the browser, go to Reset your password, and follow the screen to reset your Microsoft account password.

Once you change your password, you can remove the connection to a Microsoft account any time. Here's how:

Open Settings > Accounts and click Your info.
    After confirming that the account is set up to use a Microsoft account, click Sign in with a local account instead.
    Enter the password for your Microsoft account to confirm that you're authorized to make the change, and then click Next.
    On the Switch To A Local Account page, enter your new local user name and password, along with a password hint.
    Click Next to sign out from the Microsoft account and sign back in using your new local account.
    This change doesn't affect any files or installed Windows desktop programs.

Keith, May 15, 2020
Thema:

Win10 - Password Problem on local account

1. Win10 - Password Problem on local account - Similar Threads - Win10 Password Problem

2. Local account problems

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Local account problems: So I got my PC back in 2017 and little me forgot to note the password to my computer. I am now trying to reset it but I can't do so without the local account password that I do not have. The help but doesn't understand my question and I cannot find how to contact Microsoft...
  3. Local Accounts Forgotten Passwords

in Windows 10 Support
    Local Accounts Forgotten Passwords: I will describe my situation as best I can. I don't know what I did to get into this situation. Please be gentle with me. I'm not 25 anymore and in the intervening years since I was 25 I have killed a lot of braincells as decribed in the Baggar Vance movie. I am a one man...
  4. Forgotten Local account password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Forgotten Local account password: Hi , I forgot my local account password on my laptop ,, how can i change it ,, as no option for forgot password ,, can you help thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forgotten-local-account-password/dc5c1f71-6ad9-499d-a51c-1735b2dbb1b6
  5. Local Account Problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Local Account Problem: I am trying to create a local account but the OS is not letting me. Why? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-account-problem/dda5d756-8c26-4465-a073-b5d6f3c72201
  6. Password reset for local account

Password reset for local account: I changed the password on a local account and can not log in. How can I reset it if I can not get past the sign on screen? If I try the reset password option, it tells me to insert a USB drive. I did not set up the computer in the beginning, and no reset disc was made. Can I...
  7. Problems with Local (NOT Microsoft Account) Password

Problems with Local (NOT Microsoft Account) Password: 1. There is no option to change the password when I press CTRL-ALT-DELETE. 2. When I try to change the password using Windows 10 Settings, I can only change the password to my Microsoft account, not the password I use to log into the laptop. 3. My account is an...
  8. Reset Local Account Password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Reset Local Account Password: After a power glitch, Windows did not recognize my local password anymore Although I have been able to login using my Microsoft account password, I would like to be able to login locally again. How to achieve that? I have only found ways to reset the Microsoft account...
  9. Lost password (local account)

Lost password (local account): Hello - I have been using a local (non-microsoft) account to sign in to my laptop. I set a four digit pin a few months ago because it's easier to remember and use - however - I have forgotten my actual password. *Sad A month or so ago, I attempted to use the 'netplwiz'...
  10. Local Account Password changed

Local Account Password changed: Hi, I have linked my Windows 10 app store to a BT provided email address. After rebooting it has asked me to login. It has changed my local account from my name to my BT email address and asking for a password. This is not my normal password and has seemed to link my BT...