Windows 10: Win10 Pro - Hyper-V hosting a Server 2012 R2 Server + Gaming on Host?

Discus and support Win10 Pro - Hyper-V hosting a Server 2012 R2 Server + Gaming on Host? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi, I run a home server for Hosting file shares, a Plex server, an LMS Squeezebox server, and Ubiquiti management server. The hardware is about 8... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by scoob101, May 30, 2019.

1. scoob101 Win User

Win10 Pro - Hyper-V hosting a Server 2012 R2 Server + Gaming on Host?

Hi,

I run a home server for Hosting file shares, a Plex server, an LMS Squeezebox server, and Ubiquiti management server. The hardware is about 8 years old and I`m looking to upgrade.

One thing I would like to do is some VR gaming (Elite Dangerous specifically) and I`m thinking about leveraging the new hardware to host the server in a Hyper-V VM on the Windows 10 Pro machine, and then install Elite Dangerous on the host operating system for some VR gaming action.

As the 2012 R2 server hosts a number of essential services for the home, it needs to be running reliably 24/7, even when Im gaming on the host (which will be infrequently). The services running on the 2012 server take very little resources.

My question is - assuming I spec a good multi-core system, with plenty of RAM and a fast SSD for the OS - are there any issues with the approach I`m suggesting?

Would VR gaming work reliably in this configuration?

:)

scoob101, May 30, 2019
  2. WilsonKo1 Win User

The Windows patches were failed to apply on the secondary Hyper-V host server(KB4493446)(KB4493467)(KB4493435)

Dear Sir/Madam,

The Windows patches were failed to apply on the secondary Hyper-V host server yesterday. Tried 3 times but still fail. Please give advice to this issue. The patches list is stated as below. Thanks.

2019-04 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB4493446)

2019-04 Security Only Quality Update for Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB4493467)

2019-04 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64-based systems (KB4493435)

Best Regards,

WilsonKo1, May 30, 2019
  3. KMRL84 Win User
    Hyper-V VM server licensing

Hello,

We have a VM running a 2012 R2 OS and are having an issue applying the license we have purchased.

I was advised that a 2019 standard license would work for licensing a 2012 server and this is not working when typing in the key to the VM.

Can anyone point out what could be the issue, maybe I'm supposed to type the key into the Hyper-V host?

KMRL84, May 30, 2019
  4. Win10 Pro - Hyper-V hosting a Server 2012 R2 Server + Gaming on Host?

Hyper-V 2012 R2 Virtual Server that crashes every 8 hours, on the dot!

Hey Everyone, We've got a Hyper-V 2012 Virtual Server that has started having issues several weeks ago. If the server is left running, it will crash every 8 hours, sometimes to the SECOND from the previous
    boot time stamp. Its almost always within a minute of the 8 hour interval. I've checked scheduled tasks, scheduled backups, SQL maintenance.....nothing!

However, if we reboot the server, say at 7 hours and 50 minutes, it will not crash and continue to run happily for another 8 hours.....at which time it will crash again. The only thing we get after a crash
    is the crappy new blue screen that reports "Registry Error." The event log is incredibly clean with no suggestion as to the cause. We have three other Virtual servers

that are Hyper-V virtual servers and they are working great. We've ran all kinds of virus and malware scans and everything is clean. By the way the Host Server is 2016 R2 Standard

Anyone have any ideas, or seen anything similar?

martinorozco1, May 30, 2019
Thema:

Win10 Pro - Hyper-V hosting a Server 2012 R2 Server + Gaming on Host?

1. Win10 Pro - Hyper-V hosting a Server 2012 R2 Server + Gaming on Host? - Similar Threads - Win10 Pro Hyper

2. VSS problems backing up windows 2012 R2 server VM in hyper-v server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VSS problems backing up windows 2012 R2 server VM in hyper-v server: I have a single Hyper-V 2012 R2 server host with 2 VMs running windows 2012 R2 server with the latest updates.The VMs are backed up using Altaro VMBACKUP which runs on the host.The first VM is a DC which is backed up successfully.The second VM OS is Windows 2012 R2 with...
  3. VSS problems backing up windows 2012 R2 server VM in hyper-v server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VSS problems backing up windows 2012 R2 server VM in hyper-v server: I have a single Hyper-V 2012 R2 server host with 2 VMs running windows 2012 R2 server with the latest updates.The VMs are backed up using Altaro VMBACKUP which runs on the host.The first VM is a DC which is backed up successfully.The second VM OS is Windows 2012 R2 with...
  4. VSS problems backing up windows 2012 R2 server VM in hyper-v server

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. [Hyper-V] I can't switch Guest OSVirtual server Hyper-V to Host OSPhysical server in nomal...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [Hyper-V] I can't switch Guest OSVirtual server Hyper-V to Host OSPhysical server in nomal...: I've been constructed a system server which is using Hyper-V technology.To construct Heper-V Virtual Machine, I installed Windows Server 2016 Standard to Virtual machine.When I access to Virtual Machine via Host OS's Hyper-V Manager, I can't go back to Host OS from Guest OS...
  6. [Hyper-V] I can't switch Guest OSVirtual server Hyper-V to Host OSPhysical server in nomal...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [Hyper-V] I can't switch Guest OSVirtual server Hyper-V to Host OSPhysical server in nomal...: I've been constructed a system server which is using Hyper-V technology.To construct Heper-V Virtual Machine, I installed Windows Server 2016 Standard to Virtual machine.When I access to Virtual Machine via Host OS's Hyper-V Manager, I can't go back to Host OS from Guest OS...
  7. Upgrade a 2008 server in Hyper v vm to 2012 server

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade a 2008 server in Hyper v vm to 2012 server: Hi I am running hyper v manager on my windows 10 pro pc. I am running 2008 server on the hyper v manager and I want to upgrade it to 2012 server. When I click on the install now button it does the copy files but does not go to the windows update window to continue the...
  8. Hyper-V and Windows Server 2012 R2/ and 2016

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hyper-V and Windows Server 2012 R2/ and 2016: Have this weird problem recently. Can't access some sites in Windows Server 2012R2 and Server 2016 VM, on Hyper-V, via the Default Switch(NAT). And the sites it can access, like google.com and facebook.com , are taking time to load. This issue is only with these two...
  9. Win10 Pro - Hyper-V hosting a Server 2012 R2 Server + Gaming on Host?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Pro - Hyper-V hosting a Server 2012 R2 Server + Gaming on Host?: Hi, I run a home server for Hosting file shares, a Plex server, an LMS Squeezebox server, and Ubiquiti management server. The hardware is about 8 years old and I`m looking to upgrade. One thing I would like to do is some VR gaming (Elite Dangerous specifically) and I`m...
  10. Host a game server on a website

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Host a game server on a website: im trying to setup a minecraft server to be hosted on my github page. How do i do this??? Please i need help with this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/host-a-game-server-on-a-website/7d8fdfd8-45af-4273-bc24-8fba596e270c