Windows 10: Win10 Pro machine decided to install Home instead...

Discus and support Win10 Pro machine decided to install Home instead... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Dell XPS 8920 came with Windows 10 Home installed. After a few months, I purchased a W10 Pro license for the machine, and have clean installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mta3006, Mar 9, 2019.

1. mta3006 Win User

Win10 Pro machine decided to install Home instead...

My Dell XPS 8920 came with Windows 10 Home installed. After a few months, I purchased a W10 Pro license for the machine, and have clean installed Windows several times in the year since. Today, after installing two additional memory modules, and re-flashing the bios to the latest version, I clean installed again, and found to my surprise that Windows 10 Home was installed and activated. I was able to activate Pro by changing to the generic product key for Pro, but I am still puzzled.

What is the likely cause of this?

:)

mta3006, Mar 9, 2019
  2. dey.shin Win User

Windows Installation Media (1703) activates as Win10 Pro Education, instead of Win10 Pro

Thanks for the reply, Andre.

Would you clarify what you mean by 'Downloading Windows 10 Pro'? Windows Media Creation tool has an option to create Win10, Win 10 Home w/ Single language, or Win 10 N. I believe Win 10 option includes Win 10 Pro & Home.

When I installed using the media, I was not given a choice to choose an addition - and upon completion of installation, it activated itself using Win10 Pro Education.

I'm not sure what I could've done differently to install Win 10 Pro instead of Win 10 Pro Education

I'm in interested in Win 10 Education (not Pro Education), and I am not discussing the edition in this post.

dey.shin, Mar 9, 2019
  3. S_and_S Win User
    Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10

Step #1 is to decide which virtual machine software you wish to install.

The three most popular choices are:

• VirtualBox (from Oracle)
    • VMWare Workstation Player (from VMWare); and
    • Hyper-V (from Microsoft)

Once you've made your choice you can find detailed, illustrated instructions for installing each one on the internet.

As a personal suggestion: You might find it easier to use either VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation Player. Hyper-V is more complicated to setup.

Between VirtualBox and VMWare, I think you'll find VirtualBox more user-friendly, and it has the advantage of allowing you to create checkpoints - backups of your virtual machine - whereas to do that in VMWare you'll need to upgrade to their (expensive!)
    paid version.

S_and_S, Mar 9, 2019
  4. Depth Win User

Install Diablo 3 on Linux

Just install PlayOnLinux? Why did they make step 2 and 3 of this "tutorial"?

Anyway, looking at the supported software list for PlayOnLinux, D3 is a step in the right direction. Lack of gaming is a factor for a lot of people when deciding on an OS, if more recent games get ported it may help migrate them to their preferred choice.

Depth, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Win10 Pro machine decided to install Home instead... - Similar Threads - Win10 Pro machine

2. WIn10 Home to Win10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIn10 Home to Win10 Pro: We had activated copy of Win10 Home, paid for the upgrade to download Win10 Pro, and what was downloaded was Win10 Enterprise which I can not activate. The activation error is not having a valid digital license or product key. How do I get Win10 Pro which I paid for and get...
  3. How to Reinstall. Reset or Fresh Install Win10 Home on A Dual boot Machine with Win10 Pro...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Reinstall. Reset or Fresh Install Win10 Home on A Dual boot Machine with Win10 Pro...: The Laptop I have came preinstalled with Win 10 Home 1909 on OEM. I then bought Win10 Professional and Installed on Separate Partition on SSD creating a Dual boot Machine. My question I have today is how to Reinstall or Reset or Cleaninstall My existing Win10 Home OEM...
  4. Windows 10 Home installed instead of pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Home installed instead of pro: My friend did a clean install of windows. He had windows 10 pro which was activated with his account linked to the key. He forgot that the media he used was fir windows 10 home. When he finished everything it said that windows was activated with a digital key linked to your...
  5. Installing Windows 10 Pro instead of Home

Installing Windows 10 Pro instead of Home: I purchased Windows 10 Pro directly from Microsoft. I downloaded and ran the Media Installation Tool. It did not give me an option to select Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro, it just had the option "Windows 10". I ran it from a computer that was already running Pro, and...
  6. WIN10 Home - Installing as virtual machine on PC running WIN7 Pro

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    WIN10 Home - Installing as virtual machine on PC running WIN7 Pro: I have been following the thread entitled "Windows 7 - what should we do after January 2020" which was started by Windower7 in April 2019 and still going. Up until a week ago I had decided to keep WIN7 for a few more years. I had a new computer, custom built in October 2016,...
  7. WIN10 Home - Installing as virtual machine on PC running WIN7 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    WIN10 Home - Installing as virtual machine on PC running WIN7 Pro: I have been following the thread entitled "Windows 7 - what should we do after January 2020" which was started by Windower7 in April 2019 and still going. Up until a week ago I had decided to keep WIN7 for a few more years. I had a new computer, custom built in October 2016,...
  8. Accidently installed pro instead of home

Accidently installed pro instead of home: HI all a complete newbie here, My problem is that I have installed Windows 10 pro instead of the Home edition, my laptop says I have the digital licence for the Home edition and I need to install Windows 10 Home but I cannot find anywhere for a free download etc, I haven't...
  9. Win10 Pro oem, installed as Win10 HOME

Win10 Pro oem, installed as Win10 HOME: I have an original CD with 64 bits Win 10 Pro for OEM, with a sticker with key. I did a clean installation deleted the partitions in C: I installed and see that it is the Win 10 OEM Home 1709 After instalation there were the automatic Windows updates from Microsoft....
  10. Installation setup Home instead of Pro.

Installation setup Home instead of Pro.: Today I had to do a clean install of Win10 which I did from a USB with the Win 10 install software on it. When completed the installation I notice it is now running 10 Home. When I run ShowKey it seems that the installation has picked up the original 8.1 OEM key from...