Windows 10: Win10 Pro x64 Ver 2004 Sysprep Unattend Problems

Discus and support Win10 Pro x64 Ver 2004 Sysprep Unattend Problems in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I'm having issues with doing an unattend sysprep file on the Win10 Pro x64 Version 2004 (Build 19041). I had a working version of the file for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ChrisTech, Oct 30, 2020.

1. ChrisTech Win User

Win10 Pro x64 Ver 2004 Sysprep Unattend Problems

Hello,

I'm having issues with doing an unattend sysprep file on the Win10 Pro x64 Version 2004 (Build 19041).

I had a working version of the file for the Win10 Pro x641607 version (Build 14393)

I used Kari's Win10 Audit Mode with Sysprep tutorial (for both).

The machine is setup with all of the software installed, ready for Sysprep OOBE with an unattend file to setup some settings.
    I've disabled the Windows Hello via registry edit.
    I've also disabled Biometrics via registry edit (per a co-worker, I've tried with and without it, doesn't seem to overall impact the overall issue of it failing).
    I've been able to successfully run it with only the autologon enabled.
    Once I start adding in the normal items, like skipping the EULA pages, on boot it will hang at the Just a moment screen for a long period of time. I'm not sure if it actually has completed, as I usually just restart the machine.

What I'm actually attempting to do is setup an image to be used on many machines in the field as an OOBE experience with software already setup on it. The image will be applied to upwards of 2,000 machines in the field. We don't have a way to do it via SCCM or InTune as of current. Something is failing or not compatible with the current version of Windows 10, I just don't know what it is.

I also have a setupcomplete.cmd file that goes in c:\windows\setup\scripts that worked on the 1607 version. Even without that file in place the sysprep for 2004 is failing.

If I choose to skip the setupcomplete.cmd file, I can put in a batch file in the following location to basically do the same things that the setupcomplete.cmd file was doing.
    c:\users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Startup\

The setupcomplete.cmd does the following
    * Sets the Administrator account active (no longer needed as I can accomplish this via sysprep it appears)
    * Deletes the unattend.xml file
    * Adds in an account to the registry for DefaultUserName and DefaultPassword with that information.
    * Adds in AutoAdminLogon and ForceAutoLogon into the Registry and enables both settings. (the machine doesn't use the standard Explorer Desktop, it has a software shell with a separate User Name/Password.
    * Runs powercfg.exe /h off to disable hibernate
    * Adds a registry key for CDROM and disables it
    * Runs a wmic command to join a certain workgroup
    * Runs a basic reboot command.

Nothing that I believe would cause it to fail out after the unattend file runs.

Here's a link to Google Drive with my prior 1607 unattend file that worked along with 2 recent unattend files that failed out. I sanitized the files (password hashes and identifying information)
    TenForums - Google Drive

I figured I'd ask here as I'm confused at this point as to why this is not working, even just the basic sysprep part in the newer version of Windows 10.

:)

ChrisTech, Oct 30, 2020

2. unreliable waking from hibernate/sleep since 2004 update, Win10 Pro x64 AU

Hi,

It isn't a good idea to install a feature update that early especially when Legacy Hardware is concerned. Also, I have seen a number of issues with hibernation in ver 2004. You should have rolled back to Windows 10 1909 as you have hit the same.

I suggest you to download and install ver 1903/09 and reinstall.

TechBench by WZT (v4.1.1)

Sumit - Insider MVP, Oct 30, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Unattended setup (Sysprep & unattend.xml) is not working for me

Much easier, use the Ten Forums tutorial instead. It combines all steps in one tutorial: Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10

This is what I see when I open your answer file in WSIM:

Win10 Pro x64 Ver 2004 Sysprep Unattend Problems [​IMG]

(Click to enlarge.)

Yellow highlight in Answer file pane (top middle) shows a bunch of unnecessary, empty not used settings. In addition to errors shown as white X on red circle in Messages pane at bottom, those unnecessary settings are marked with exclamation point on yellow triangle.

First severe error comes already in disk setup. If, as in your answer file, partition setting Extend = FALSE is used, then the size must be given, but size is missing in your file:

Win10 Pro x64 Ver 2004 Sysprep Unattend Problems [​IMG]

I am working on it, this will really take some time. I'll post back as soon possible.

4. John Ado Win User

John Ado, Oct 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Win10 Pro x64 Ver 2004 Sysprep Unattend Problems - Similar Threads - Win10 Pro x64

2. Update Win10/Pro x64 From Ver. 1903 to Most Recent Update Release

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update Win10/Pro x64 From Ver. 1903 to Most Recent Update Release: I have an unused Win 10 machine, custom build, that I finally have bandwidth to update and use. WinUpdate has not been 'friendly' in the experience. I have the machine up, offline, and I'm trying to understand my options. The Data Drive is empty. The System Drive has the...
  3. HP 4100DN Unable to install PCL5 Drivers Win10 Pro ver 2004

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HP 4100DN Unable to install PCL5 Drivers Win10 Pro ver 2004: Hello all, First time posting. I have an HP 4100DN black and white printer. It is connected to my PC using a USB to Parallel cable, printing through a virtual USB port. On a previous install of Windows 10, I've had the HP PCL5 drivers installed, and the printer prints...
  4. Having to BACKDATE Win10 X64 Pro To Version 2004 From 20H2...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Having to BACKDATE Win10 X64 Pro To Version 2004 From 20H2...: Dear TenForums: here again - as I've found that SOME sort of "Windows update" this autumn has rendered by IMSI Design-published copy of DesignCAD 3DMax v.25 (dating from 2015) to no longer access files I HAD been opening and editing as late as the end of this past...
  5. SysPrep Win10 2004 Symbolic Link Issues with UEFI

SysPrep Win10 2004 Symbolic Link Issues with UEFI: So, I am diskparting to make a S drive and a W drive. Per Microsoft examples. Diskpart it for UEFI. All completed successfully and I load a WIM image on said W drive and restart. Now when windows finally gets done loading and I log in, I look at the C:\Users\All Users folder...
  6. Sysprep not working anymore on Win10 2004

Sysprep not working anymore on Win10 2004: Recently ugpgraded from Windows 10 Professional 1909 to Windows 10 Professional 2004 and ever since I can't seem to run sysprep anymore. When I open the sysprep setuperror log files the following is shown: 2020-06-03 14:36:37, Error SYSPRP Package...
  7. Sysprep unattend first logon command error

Sysprep unattend first logon command error: Hello, I am trying to create admin user that has "Password never expires" option with Unattend.xml. As I understand this can not be done while Sysprep, but rather on first log on. Therefore I wrote an Unattend.xml which looks like this: <?xml version="1.0"...
  8. Unattended setup (Sysprep & unattend.xml) is not working for me

Unattended setup (Sysprep & unattend.xml) is not working for me: I've been trying to create a customized Win10 Pro (Build 1903) install image for the last week or so. No matter how many tutorials I follow, answer files I create, or installs I perform, I just cannot get it to work properly. Every time I go to install Windows from my custom...
  9. Win10 Pro ver 1803 failed to update to ver 1809 x64 2019-09C

Win10 Pro ver 1803 failed to update to ver 1809 x64 2019-09C: Hi, I had been trying to update my Win10Pro ver 1803 to ver 1809 many times since early of this year, however, I keep have the same error, which is 0xc1900101. I had tried to do regular windows update, from the windows update itself and windows update assistant page, but I...
  10. Surface Pro 4 Unattended Sysprep Issue

Surface Pro 4 Unattended Sysprep Issue: Hi Guys, Im attempting create an unattended sysprep windows 10 installation (1607) for the Surface Pro 4 using a USB and WinPE. I dont have the current script with me but the process is roughly the following; Install win 10 - audit mode Generate an unattend.xml using...