Windows 10: win10 recent update caused black screen with no icons or start menu.

Discus and support win10 recent update caused black screen with no icons or start menu. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I can do safe mode and command prompt. No stock rollbacks work. Not rollbacks of features, blahblah. Not ever restore. I want to re-download windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JannH1, Dec 15, 2020.

1. JannH1 Win User

win10 recent update caused black screen with no icons or start menu.

I can do safe mode and command prompt.

No stock rollbacks work. Not rollbacks of features, blahblah. Not ever restore.

I want to re-download windows 10 but not lose my data. is that possible? I have the usb bootable drive ready but don't know what to do with it!

:)

JannH1, Dec 15, 2020
  2. vexorg Win User

Start Menu Recent files

It doesn't work off the start menu in win10, I posted the same a few weeks ago.

Oddly, if the programs appear in most recent used, then you do get the recent files list. Or if you pin to the task bar, you also get the recent list if you right click the icon.

Microsoft's proper name for these recent files is jump list.

Some has shown a beta of a later win10, and the jump list might return if pinned to the start menu. Doubly annoying is if you pin a program to the start menu, it's removed from most used.

See here: How do I get recent docs when pinned to start? - Windows 10 Forums

vexorg, Dec 15, 2020
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    missing icons in start menu

Hi Wickiwizard,

It is possible that the icon of your apps in Start menu is missing due to a corrupted system files. To provide you the accurate resolution, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Does this happen only with icons in Start menu?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with Start menu or Cortana.

If the issue still persists, we recommend that you follow the suggestion shared by
    Meliton Dec on this thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Dec 15, 2020
  4. win10 recent update caused black screen with no icons or start menu.

Windows ten black screen and icon rearrangement.

Hi,

There are different factors that can contribute as to why you're getting a black screen on your Windows 10 computer after your sign in. This could be caused by a recent update that was installed or system files that got corrupted. For us to resolve your
    concern, kindly answer the questions below:

• Were there any recent changes made or updates installed on your computer prior to the issue occurring?
    • Since you mentioned that you have completed a couple of troubleshooting steps, we would like to confirm if you have attempted to start your computer in safe mode?
    • Which version and build of Windows 10 do you have installed?

As an initial recommendation, we suggest that you follow the steps available on this

link
    to troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors on Windows 10. The support article we provided covers the most common methods to correct any issues that may cause the blank screen or black screen error to occur.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Dec 15, 2020
Thema:

win10 recent update caused black screen with no icons or start menu.

1. win10 recent update caused black screen with no icons or start menu. - Similar Threads - win10 recent update

2. Win10 UPdates causing system to reboot into black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 UPdates causing system to reboot into black screen: I have installed these two updates, 4 Dell laptops now boot only into a black screen. Shows the Dell logo with the windows swirl like it is booting normally. Then it is a black screen - laptop is on - but nothing is displayed. ctrl-alt-del does not work.How do I fix?Thank you...
  3. Win10 UPdates causing system to reboot into black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 UPdates causing system to reboot into black screen: I have installed these two updates, 4 Dell laptops now boot only into a black screen. Shows the Dell logo with the windows swirl like it is booting normally. Then it is a black screen - laptop is on - but nothing is displayed. ctrl-alt-del does not work.How do I fix?Thank you...
  4. Win10 UPdates causing system to reboot into black screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Latest Win10 Update Changed Start Menu Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Latest Win10 Update Changed Start Menu Icons: The latest Windows 10 update 2021-03-09 has changed the Start menu icons. I have had custom black icons .ico on a medium grey backgound for years and now, with this latest update, these icons, which are still the custom black icons beside the folders on my C-Drive, are...
  6. win10 recent update caused black screen with cursor but no icons or start menu.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10 recent update caused black screen with cursor but no icons or start menu.: I can do safe mode and command prompt. After troubleshooting awhile it just goes straight into repair mode but offers nothing that works. No rollbacks work. Ran chkdsk but couldn't transfer the log to view. Ran sfc scannow but stopped with error of can't perform...
  7. A black screen behind the start menu.

A black screen behind the start menu.: As of 4-7-20. every time I click on the start icon I lose my desktop picture and get a black screen behind the start menu? When I click back out again my desktop photo returns. Any suggestions?...
  8. Start menu Icons not sorting recent Apps icons

Start menu Icons not sorting recent Apps icons: Hello! My newly installed apps icons not showing ON TOP to start, only sorting alphabetically... Figured out this problem happening from this morning... tried to change some settings on 'Start' but not working, Please Help !! here is the picture[ATTACH]...
  9. Black Screen After Recent Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Black Screen After Recent Update: I recently updated my Windows 10 and the result has been completely annoying for two reasons. 1). My cpu seems to be running in slow motion. I can tell there is a distinct lag between turning on my PC and getting to the login screen. Although this problem seems to be...
  10. Recent Update to the start menu and taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent Update to the start menu and taskbar icons: Hi, So I've been using Windows 10 for about a week, everything was positive, until today. I downloaded the OS a good few weeks before I installed it so I'm not sure how up-to-date it was, however it's just completely updated itself (I'm not sure which build it is, or...