Windows 10: Win10 Reet this PC or fresh start question

Discus and support Win10 Reet this PC or fresh start question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; What does 'keep personal file, settings and apps' mean? To be more specific - I'd like to reset my pc. Fully. But would like the previous installation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WolfCRO, Mar 15, 2019.

1. WolfCRO Win User

Win10 Reet this PC or fresh start question

What does 'keep personal file, settings and apps' mean?

To be more specific - I'd like to reset my pc. Fully. But would like the previous installation to be moved to the windows.old folder, so that I can hand-pick files to move to the new installation. Does either Fresh Start or Reset this PC offer that functionality?

Sorry for asking, would test myself in a virtual machine but am very short on time currently what with college and travelling :/

:)

WolfCRO, Mar 15, 2019

2. Fresh Start Question

I recently found this option in Windows Defender called Fresh Start. I have a question about this option. Let's say i am on a insider's build. If i do a fresh start, will i go back to the previous stable build, or will i get a fresh install of the build
    i was on?

Travis TúTrưởng, Mar 15, 2019
  3. Question on "most used" list in Win10

So I want to start fresh with my "most used" list in Win10 start menu. I was wondering if I remove an item from this list and end up using the particular item a lot in the future will it re-populate onto the list? I do not want to remove items and have
    them never be allowed to re-populate onto the list in the future.

Thanks in advance,

myomerta603, Mar 15, 2019
  4. Win10 Reet this PC or fresh start question

Windows 10 Fresh Start

Hi thanks for posting your questions here, Let me go and try to help you out. To answer your questions, Windows will allow you to choose what kind of fresh start you want. If you just want to perform a
    Reset which will bring back your computer on it's default settings and re install your Windows without you doing it manually, you'll see an option to
    Keep My Files or Remove Everything. See the steps below.

"If your PC isn't running well, resetting it might fix the problem. Resetting reinstalls Windows 10, but gives you the option to keep your files. Here are three ways to reset your PC:

• Select the Start Windows logo Start button, then select Settings
      Gear-shaped Settings icon > Update & security
      Circular arrows Sync icon > Recovery. Under
      Reset this PC
      , select Get started.
    • Restart your PC to get to the sign-in screen, then press and hold down the
      Shift key while you select the Power
      Circle with line Power icon >
      Restart in the lower-right hand corner of the screen. After your computer restarts, select
      Troubleshoot > Reset this PC.
    • You can also use installation media to reset your PC. See
      Recovery options in Windows 10
      for detailed steps."

You can as well access this link and run the tool below if you want to remove everything and start fresh.

Hope that will help! Feel free to reply back if you needed more info.

XboxGamer000143, Mar 15, 2019
Thema:

Win10 Reet this PC or fresh start question

1. Win10 Reet this PC or fresh start question - Similar Threads - Win10 Reet fresh

2. fresh start vs. reset pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    fresh start vs. reset pc: What is the difference between a fresh start and resetting the PC? My PC has Windows 11 installed, is freezing too much for the last few days and disturbing my regular workflow. Should I reset the PC or give it a fresh start? Every related info is appreciated....
  3. Fresh Start Question...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Fresh Start Question...: Greetings! I recently did a "Fresh Restart" on my P.C. I heard that this erases all installed apps but preserves your personal files.. The questions are, when I tried to reinstall a game, it didn't take long for it to be installed and it seems that it wasn't even deleted in...
  4. Question about Fresh Start

Question about Fresh Start: I have a few games on my PC and I have made a new volume and moved over 200GB of Game files to this new volume. If I do a Fresh Start from my Windows Security app and keep my personal files, will they stay intact as they aren't in C: Drive? submitted by /u/Neucleye [link]...
  5. Question about Windows fresh start.

Question about Windows fresh start.: I want to know which files might get deleted from this feature. Will this affect my steam installations if they are not installed in c drive? Will this affect the files in documents and downloads folder? I have several softwares installed which are not from the windows app...
  6. re: Fresh Start Win10 on refurbished PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    re: Fresh Start Win10 on refurbished PC: Hi I was going to do the Fresh Start on a refurbished PC with Win10 this but then I noticed something on the Control Panel. Comments are after the images: [img] On the Control Panel it says Windows 7 as indicated by the arrow. Clicking on that then it shows in the 2nd...
  7. re: Fresh Start Win10 on refurbished PC

in Windows 10 Support
    re: Fresh Start Win10 on refurbished PC: Hi I was going to do the Fresh Start on a refurbished PC with Win10 this but then I noticed something on the Control Panel. Comments are after the images: [img] On the Control Panel it says Windows 7 as indicated by the arrow. Clicking on that then it shows in the 2nd...
  8. Fresh Start Question

Fresh Start Question: I recently found this option in Windows Defender called Fresh Start. I have a question about this option. Let's say i am on a insider's build. If i do a fresh start, will i go back to the previous stable build, or will i get a fresh install of the build i was on?...
  9. re fresh win10 start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    re fresh win10 start menu: My start menu stopped working but strangely enough it did not take out the store,search or settings. I tooled around trying to deal with Tile Data Layer stopped State Repository Service deleted the folder did nto seem to help so I used a reset win10 update bat and it fired it...
  10. Fresh Install Questions

Fresh Install Questions: Hey there, so recently I built my first gaming PC. I was having issues with it not displaying anything so I took it to a PC repair shop. The guy fixed it, and also installed Windows 10 as well as all the drivers. This was great, however, I now have a irrational fear that the...