Windows 10: Win10 refuses to change the default photo viewer

Discus and support Win10 refuses to change the default photo viewer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I just did a fresh Win10 reinstall on Sunday and I always prefer to use the old Windows Photo Viewer from Vista and 7. But when I choose 'open with'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by West88, Dec 4, 2018.

1. West88 Win User

Win10 refuses to change the default photo viewer

I just did a fresh Win10 reinstall on Sunday and I always prefer to use the old Windows Photo Viewer from Vista and 7. But when I choose 'open with' then check 'always use this app' for a picture it opens that time correctly but continues to default using the Win10 Photos app on subsequent tries. I've also tried using the Default Programs options and when I choose a different option for photos, Windows Photo Viewer isn't listed as an option (I've tried changing via file format too).

I've always switched the default photo viewer for Win10 to Windows Photo Viewer in the past and I'm not sure why now it refuses to switch the default. Possibly there's a way to fix this through the registry.

Thanks in advance *Smile

:)

West88, Dec 4, 2018

2. Windows 10 default image viewer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps in order to change the default image viewer to Paint.

• In search,
    • Type Default Programs.
    • Check whether Windows Photo Viewer is listed in the list.
    • Left click on the photo viewer and select the option paint.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Divya Murugan, Dec 4, 2018
  3. Set Windows Photo Viewer as default to open photos

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to set window photo viewer as default and check if it helps:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click on Control Panel and under View by change it to
      Small Icons.

• Click on Default Programs and click on
      Set your default programs

• Click on Windows Photo Viewer from the Left pane and click on
      Choose Defaults for this program.

• Select all the formats available from the list and click on
      Save and click Ok.

• Check if issue persists.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Dec 4, 2018
  4. Win10 refuses to change the default photo viewer

photo viewer default application not able to change

Hai,

I have installed Paint.net some time ago. After that my default application change to that program. Whatever I had tried to change it back to the Photo Viewer, nothing is happening.

After I go to System -> Default applications and change application for Photos, my desktop refresh and that's it. Anything else. Paint.net is still default. I even uninstalled Paint.net, but the situation
    is the same. The only difference is that Paint is not more listed, but "unknown application".

I tried with right-click on photos and Open with... option, but the result was the same. Desktop refresh, and default app remain the same.

What I can do to change default Photo viewer?

SK.

SasikumarThangavel, Dec 4, 2018
Thema:

Win10 refuses to change the default photo viewer

1. Win10 refuses to change the default photo viewer - Similar Threads - Win10 refuses change

2. Win10 Photo Viewer Suggestion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Photo Viewer Suggestion: Many of us create photo albums, slideshows etc. from picture folders. If these folders are extensive and one wants to select specific images for a new project, it is quite cumbersome going back and forth to get the filenames of the images from the photo album.It would be nice...
  3. Win10 Photo Viewer Suggestion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 Photo Viewer Suggestion: Many of us create photo albums, slideshows etc. from picture folders. If these folders are extensive and one wants to select specific images for a new project, it is quite cumbersome going back and forth to get the filenames of the images from the photo album.It would be nice...
  4. Win10 Photo Viewer Suggestion

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. An App default was reset error it reset the windows photo viewer to default photos

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    An App default was reset error it reset the windows photo viewer to default photos: Hello Sir, My name is Ronak Savla, I have windows 10 pro, I get an problem as I start my computer for some work, I see the default app is changed from windows photo viewer which I installed as an registry file and it changes to default photo app. Can you give me any...
  6. How to Change my Default Photo Viewer on Windows 10?

How to Change my Default Photo Viewer on Windows 10?: Dear Microsoft Community, Hello. For a while now I have been trying to change my default photo viewer to "Microsoft Photo Viewer." I really enjoy it more than the default "Photos" for Windows 10. However, if I click on the properties of a photo on my files and try to...
  7. photo viewer default application not able to change

photo viewer default application not able to change: Hai, I have installed Paint.net some time ago. After that my default application change to that program. Whatever I had tried to change it back to the Photo Viewer, nothing is happening. After I go to System -> Default applications and change application for Photos, my...
  8. Win10 refuses to set a default program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10 refuses to set a default program: New HP Envy laptop. I'm trying to set Notepad++ as my default program for .txt files. I go to the usual place in Settings, choose to set by file association, scroll down to .txt, click to see the choices, select Notepad++, and...Windows leaves it at Notepad. A conspiracy...
  9. Can not change old default Windows Program Viewer to new "Photos"

Can not change old default Windows Program Viewer to new "Photos": For a friend trying to help is the opposite of most posts trying to get rid of Photos (the Win 10 new recommended to change to another. In my friends case in settings default in both sections to change defaults - either for pictures or for .jpg files the option box to...
  10. Change default photo viewer app

Change default photo viewer app: My friend did something on her computer the other day in which her pictures folder - the pictures are not pictures now, they have the default photo app viewer. How can I change them so she sees the pictures are pictures? [img] 103812