Windows 10: Win10 refuses to set a default program

Discus and support Win10 refuses to set a default program in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; New HP Envy laptop. I'm trying to set Notepad++ as my default program for .txt files. I go to the usual place in Settings, choose to set by file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Lake Rat PK, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Win10 refuses to set a default program

New HP Envy laptop. I'm trying to set Notepad++ as my default program for .txt files. I go to the usual place in Settings, choose to set by file association, scroll down to .txt, click to see the choices, select Notepad++, and...Windows leaves it at Notepad. A conspiracy nut would claim MS was preventing a change away from an MS program, but this worked fine with Win10 on my old Sony Vaio laptop and on my computer at work. So why is Windows now refusing to make a change I know it can make (because it's done it on two other computers for me)?

:)

Lake Rat PK, Oct 20, 2018

2. Win10: set 'view' default in file explorer

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

As I understand that you are trying to set file explorer as default. We will help you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps how to set file explorer as default and check if it helps.

1. In the search box type as “settings”.

2. Go to “system” and click on “default apps”.

3.Then click on “set default apps by”.

4. Select “File Explorer from the list” and click on “choose defaults for this program”.

5. Then check the box “select all” and click on “save.

6. Then click on “ok”.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Oct 20, 2018
  3. How to set default programs in Windows 10

How do I set Maple as a default programme when it does not appear in the list of programmes, even though its .exe file appears under Program Files in the directories Maple15 and Maple16.

Failing that how do I set a default programme for .mw files when this extension does not appear in the list, even thought it is a valid extension for Maple programmes.

RonaldCurtisKing, Oct 20, 2018
  4. Win10 refuses to set a default program

How to set default programs in Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

From your description, I understand that you want to know how to add programs to the default list in Windows 10.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Did you try adding programs to the default list?

• If yes, did you get any error code/error message while adding the programs?

Two conditions must be met for a program to appear in the default list:

• The program must have registered itself as being capable of handling at least one file type.

• At least one or the other program must have registered itself of being capable of handling at least one of those same file type(s).

Method 1: Follow the steps below to set the default programs and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      Default programs and select the top most search result.

• Click on Set your Default programs and select the programs listed in the left side panel of the window to set defaults.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.

• Close the window after setting the programs and check if the changes are effective.

Method 2: If the issue persists, follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      Default programs and select the top most search result.

• Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program option from the window.

• Click on the file type or protocol that you want to change and click on
      Change program.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.

• Close the window after setting the programs defaults and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Oct 20, 2018
Thema:

Win10 refuses to set a default program

1. Win10 refuses to set a default program - Similar Threads - Win10 refuses set

2. About win10 default settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    About win10 default settings: The default value of 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore\RPSessionInterval' should be 0 or 1on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC?...
  3. Win10 Setting Default Printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10 Setting Default Printer: As admin or user1, am able to select default printer without issue. As user2, left click on the printer name does NOT expand the selection box, and Manage is not accessible. Suggestions?...
  4. Setting default programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting default programs: I am aware of how to change the default program in windows for file extensions, etc, but I want to be able to set the default association to any application of my choosing. I have seen old guides about this going into the old control panel, but that no longer works. Is there...
  5. Can't Set Default Program!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Set Default Program!: What a real pain this is!!!!!Cannot set existing program as default for Photos. Dropdown list doesn't have that program listed yet it is installed on computer. Cannot add .ATN extension and associate a program to open it. So I have to pay to get App??? And the App store...
  6. Win10 refuses to change the default photo viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 refuses to change the default photo viewer: I just did a fresh Win10 reinstall on Sunday and I always prefer to use the old Windows Photo Viewer from Vista and 7. But when I choose 'open with' then check 'always use this app' for a picture it opens that time correctly but continues to default using the Win10 Photos app...
  7. Setting default programs

Setting default programs: I would like to know why you can only set Microsoft Programs as the default programs In Windows 10, I have a media player i realy like and i can not set it as my default Media Program for some reason and i would like to know why and how Microsft is allowed by the Governement...
  8. Windows refuses to accept new default programs.

Windows refuses to accept new default programs.: I don't seem to be able to set new default programs on Windows 10 Pro v1803. I have tried the following methods for setting a new default program: 1. Right click on .pdf file > Open With > Choose another app > Always use this app to open .pdf files. The file will open...
  9. Default Program Settings Not Setting/Selecting

Default Program Settings Not Setting/Selecting: I have read a lot of posted articles using Google search, but none of them are quite the problem I am experiencing. My hardware is an ASUS Transformer T100TAM. It came with Win 10, but husband installed our registered Win7 in order to get the free Win10 upgrade. When I...
  10. Win10 forgets assigned default programs

Win10 forgets assigned default programs: It's a real PITA. Not only is it extremely difficult to assign default programs (either no option for "default" or it just doesn't take my choice) for different media, but once assigned, Win10 later forgets the default program and opens it with another. For instance: I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows refuses to associate file with app