Windows 10: Win10 reinstallation on a machine originally shipped with 8.1

Discus and support Win10 reinstallation on a machine originally shipped with 8.1 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi all, Apologies if this is a common/already answered question.. My laptop was shipped with Windows 8.1 from new. I then took advantage of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Edward011778, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Win10 reinstallation on a machine originally shipped with 8.1

Hi all,

Apologies if this is a common/already answered question..

My laptop was shipped with Windows 8.1 from new. I then took advantage of the free Win 10 upgrade, so I currently have Win 10 Home. However I would like to re-install the OS as a fresh install to speed up/de-clutter the system.

My question is, can I freshly install Windows 10 Home with my existing serial key/activation status, or do I need to purchase a new copy/license because the key stored in the BIOS relates to Windows 8.1? Will I be able to install a fresh copy from scratch even though my current install is an upgrade?

Settings\Update & Security reports 'Edition - Windows 10 Home' and 'Activation - Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft Account'. I assume this means I can re-install with my existing serial key, but don't want to find out the hard way that I can't...

As a secondary query - ProduKey is showing a Windows key stored in the BIOS and a second Windows 10 key. I'm guessing I would want to use the latter if/when re-installing Win 10 Home?

Win10 reinstallation on a machine originally shipped with 8.1 e5c5c944-849e-4583-8507-802c1b7492f1?upload=true.jpg

Any & all help very much appreciated!

Edward

:)

Edward011778, Jun 25, 2019

2. Recover a Win10 machine

You can just download, create a bootable copy of the edition of Windows 10 were originally running then perform a direct clean install.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft
    Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate.
    You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key
    you already ownto reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

Andre Da Costa, Jun 25, 2019
  3. How to reinstall Windows 10 on a laptop that was originally Windows 7

Would you by chance have a link to a page that has step by step instructions that details what you suggested above?

Thank you

ChristmasPi, Jun 25, 2019
  4. 3Colors Win User

Win10 reinstallation on a machine originally shipped with 8.1

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Win10 reinstallation on a machine originally shipped with 8.1 :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jun 25, 2019
Thema:

Win10 reinstallation on a machine originally shipped with 8.1

1. Win10 reinstallation on a machine originally shipped with 8.1 - Similar Threads - Win10 reinstallation machine

2. How to reinstall original win10 in new ssd?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reinstall original win10 in new ssd?: hi.. i want to replace my laptop's hdd with ssd and install windows 10 in it. How to reactivate the windows? i have original windows that comes with the laptop when i bought it before. Thank you!...
  3. How to reinstall original win10 in new ssd?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reinstall original win10 in new ssd?: hi.. i want to replace my laptop's hdd with ssd and install windows 10 in it. How to reactivate the windows? i have original windows that comes with the laptop when i bought it before. Thank you!...
  4. How to reinstall original win10 in new ssd?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to reinstall free version of Win 10 on a Win 8 machine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reinstall free version of Win 10 on a Win 8 machine.: OK here it is. I have what was originally a Win 8 machine that had a free version of Win 10 installed when Win 10 was first released. The machine has worked well, being completely offline all these years, as a photo editing suite. I've had a hard drive crash and can't find my...
  6. How to reinstall free version of Win 10 on a Win 8 machine.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reinstall free version of Win 10 on a Win 8 machine.: OK here it is. I have what was originally a Win 8 machine that had a free version of Win 10 installed when Win 10 was first released. The machine has worked well, being completely offline all these years, as a photo editing suite. I've had a hard drive crash and can't find my...
  7. How to reinstall free version of Win 10 on a Win 8 machine.

8. Laptop with Windows 8 license and Win10 update: Reinstall Win10?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Laptop with Windows 8 license and Win10 update: Reinstall Win10?: I have a slightly older laptop that came with Windows 8.1 and has the license key for it "built in". I updated it for free when Windows 10 came out. Now I would like to format it and reinstall it because I want to sell it. The question is, can I just put Windows 10 on it now,...
  9. Windows 10 reinstallation on a laptop shipped with Windows

Windows 10 reinstallation on a laptop shipped with Windows: Hello! Is is possible to make a clean reinstall (suppose I want to completely wipe out my hard drive and then perform installation) of Windows on a laptop from downloaded ISO and use licence key which was provided with laptop for pre-installed Windows to activate that...
  10. Win10 screensaver- origin?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 screensaver- origin?: I'm looking at a Windows-supplied screen image of a grey rockface, with two climbers dwarfed by the scale. I'd really like to know the climb/mountain/ whereabouts..... Google Images can't help. 85043

Users found this page by searching for:

1. original windows 8.1 reinstallation