Windows 10: Win10 Remove Hidden Printer so I can re-use the port ?

Discus and support Win10 Remove Hidden Printer so I can re-use the port ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Win10 system and a USB to parallel printer cable. I followed manufacturer instructions and the Win10/USB/parallel/printer combination worked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BrianBrian3, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Win10 Remove Hidden Printer so I can re-use the port ?

I have a Win10 system and a USB to parallel printer cable. I followed manufacturer instructions and the Win10/USB/parallel/printer combination worked (it printed out a test page fine). Then I was messing around with other printer adds and accidentally deleted this printer. But apparently not correctly. Now I can't put it back because the USB port is somehow still "owned" by the printer that I deleted. Any ideas? I need to free up the USB001 Printer Port so I can use it!

Here is what I do:

I select "printer I want isn't listed" when adding a printer. Then I "add local printer" (bottom selection on the screen). Select existing port USB001 (there is no other USB port on the pick list). Next. Select printer model number. Next.

Then it gets wierd. Windows says a driver is already installed for the printer. If I say "use the dirver already installed" nothing changes and the printer is not usable or available in any print menu or printer list. If I replace the current driver, Win10 tries to create a second copy of the same printer (e.g. "Brother MFC-4500 (Copy 2)" instead of "Brother MFC-4500") and then the USB port has two printers listed on it, which is messed up and doesn't work either.

How do I get rid of the first instance of the printer, so that the USB001 printer port is free and available to use? Normally, I would just delete the printer, but no printer is listed to delete.

:)

BrianBrian3, Apr 28, 2019
  2. Kris Ver Win User

Remove Printer dialogue fails

Hi Dave,

There's a possibility that there are hidden devices on your PC causing this issue with your printer. Here are the steps on how to remove hidden devices:

• Go to Device Manager.
    • Select View on the top left corner.
    • Under the View option, select Show hidden devices.
    • Under the Print queues and Printers sections, delete your printer.
    • Once done, restart your PC.

We'll always be here if you need further assistance.

Kris Ver, Apr 28, 2019
  3. CafeLoto Win User
    Installing generic printer usb port not showing

Hello, yes the printer is turned on, it works fine this printer since last week I was using it with my old computer, I already try in all 3 usb ports, and in Devixe Manager it shows as "unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed).

Any suggestions?

CafeLoto, Apr 28, 2019
  4. Win10 Remove Hidden Printer so I can re-use the port ?

Hp 3520 printer can't remove

Hello,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you with your issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you can uninstall the printer software from your system:

Step 1: Remove the printer from the devices list.

Remove printers and uninstall any Windows print drivers using Windows
    Devices and Printers.

• If your printer connects to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the printer.

• Turn the printer off and on again, and make sure that it is in a ready state.

• Search Windows for devices, and then click Devices and Printers in the list of results.

• Right-click the printer icon (
      Win10 Remove Hidden Printer so I can re-use the port ? c01514371.gif
      ) for your printer, and then click
      Remove Device. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.

• If multiple icons exist for the printer, remove them all.

Step 2: Locating the List of Installed Printer Drivers and removing them.

Follow the steps below:

1. Select Device and Printers
    from Control Panel.

2. Click one time on the printer which you want to uninstall, then click the
    Print Server Properties button in the horizontal blue bar at the top of the window.

3. Click the
    Drivers
    tab at the top of this window.

4. click the old printer driver you want to remove, then click the
    Remove button at the bottom of the window.

5. Click the option to the left of
    Remove driver and driver package, then click the OK button.

Try the above suggestion and let us know if it helps. For further assistance feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Apr 28, 2019
Thema:

Win10 Remove Hidden Printer so I can re-use the port ?

1. Win10 Remove Hidden Printer so I can re-use the port ? - Similar Threads - Win10 Remove Hidden

2. How can I finish removing a printer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I finish removing a printer?: I was struggling to get my HP 3700 back on line and decided to REMOVE it in the Printers and Scanners screen. But for some reason it's stuck in "Removing a device." I shut down the computer and may have shut it down in the middle of the removal, but I'd waited quite a long...
  3. How to remove a hidden printer from Printers & Scanners

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove a hidden printer from Printers & Scanners: Hi all, I've been struggling to use my printer from my computer. I figured the best way to fix it would be to remove the printer from my devices, then uninstall & reinstall the driver.However, I noticed that even when I deleted the printer, I was still able to select it when...
  4. How to remove a hidden printer from Printers & Scanners

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove a hidden printer from Printers & Scanners: Hi all, I've been struggling to use my printer from my computer. I figured the best way to fix it would be to remove the printer from my devices, then uninstall & reinstall the driver.However, I noticed that even when I deleted the printer, I was still able to select it when...
  5. How to remove a hidden printer from Printers & Scanners

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. cant use/remove printer

cant use/remove printer: So i installed my printer on a new laptop and everything went fine, but when i tried to print something directly from paint it said install printer. I tried to delete and add the printer back but i couldnt delete it. it then said driver isnt available....
  7. Is this malware and if so how can i remove it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is this malware and if so how can i remove it: Whenever I try to shut down my PC, 2 programs appear, one without a name and without a icon (it just has a blank name) and one named 'Start' also without an icon is it malware and if so how can i remove it? submitted by /u/duccyzuccy [link] [comments]...
  8. Printer port shows up as used even after I deleted the printer

Printer port shows up as used even after I deleted the printer: How do I remove a port that says it is "in use" when I already deleted the printer from the list? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-port-shows-up-as-used-even-after-i-deleted/2fe456e0-c542-4bda-a889-29b2239ca1d2
  9. Printer Ports

Printer Ports: Samsung laser printer was working fine until today when a message flashed up along the lines of "printer port disabled/reconfigured. do you wish to use a valid port?" (may not be word for word). Clicked yes and tried again. Now, when I print, there is a pop-up box...
  10. Remove com ports in use?

Remove com ports in use?: While installing a USB to RS232 ftdi cable I noticed that I have about 20 com ports that say "in use" but are not in fact being used by anything (at least I don't think so). Is there a way to clear those com ports so that they can be used by a new device? Obviously...