Windows 10: Win10 repair install with a MBR USB stick while C: is GPT (UEFI)

Discus and support Win10 repair install with a MBR USB stick while C: is GPT (UEFI) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My C: is GPT, running fully in UEFI mode, I believe. This is Intel NUC6i5SYK. I'm trying to do a repair install. So I tried making the Win10 bootable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimhoyle, Aug 31, 2018.

1. jimhoyle Win User

Win10 repair install with a MBR USB stick while C: is GPT (UEFI)

My C: is GPT, running fully in UEFI mode, I believe. This is Intel NUC6i5SYK. I'm trying to do a repair install. So I tried making the Win10 bootable USB with Rufus (and Windows USB Download Tool). Only making it in MBR it boots. If GPT, it doesn't boot.

1) If I repair install while the USB is in MBR mode, is this fine and C: will stay fully GPT and UEFI?

2) Why can't Rufus make the GPT stick boot? (I downloaded also Easy2Boot but I didn't try that yet.)

:)

jimhoyle, Aug 31, 2018
  2. 7mgte Win User

Convert Windows 10 MBR to GPT (UEFI)?

In reviewing my Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) system I noted that the Secure Boot Status is showing as "unsupported". Investigating further, it appears either the GPT partition for booting using UEFI (is Secure Boot) has become corrupt or my installation was
    never installed for Secure Boot. My Windows 10 install is an auto-upgrade from a Windows 8.1 install.

Is there a way to convert the MBR to GPT without doing a fresh install? I do have a USB recovery drive built at a point I believe I had indications Windows was booting from a GPT (UEFI) partition. In fact, the USB recovery drive shows as being a UEFI drive.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks!

7mgte, Aug 31, 2018
  3. GPT vs MBR for SSD OS Disk ? (win7 install)

You can use UEFI with MBR and GPT.

Yes.

FordGT90Concept, Aug 31, 2018
  4. Wojtek_S Win User

Is it possible to install Windows 10 in UEFI mode using the original USB stick?

Hi,

I would like to know whether it is possible to use the USB stick supplied with the full version of Windows 10 to install the system on a disk configured to use the GPT (rather than MBR) partition style.

I am asking because the guidelines from Windows Setup: Installing using the MBR or GPT partition style stress that to install Windows on a UEFI disk, it is necessary to boot the setup medium in UEFI mode as well. However, the original
    USB stick seems to be using the MBR partition style. In any case I can't boot from it when the PC is configured to boot first from a "UEFI USB Key"; booting only succeeds when the firmware is set to boot first from a "USB Key". But then the installer converts
    the system disk to MBR even if it was previously set to use GPT.

Does this mean that in order to install the system on a GPT disk, I cannot use the original USB stick, but I need to download the Windows 10 ISO file and write it to another USB stick formatted using the GPT partition style?

Best regards,

Wojtek

Wojtek_S, Aug 31, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 repair install with a MBR USB stick while C: is GPT (UEFI) - Similar Threads - Win10 repair install

2. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  3. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  4. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT: I would to know how easy it is to change Legacy Mode to UEFI and change MBR to GPT ? I remember changing another pc...is this the command ... C: \ windows \ system32>MBR2GPT.EXE / convert / allowfullos Have checked disk management and my Asus K31ADE pc is in Legacy Mode and...
  6. legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Support
    legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT: I would to know how easy it is to change Legacy Mode to UEFI and change MBR to GPT ? I remember changing another pc...is this the command ... C: \ windows \ system32>MBR2GPT.EXE / convert / allowfullos Have checked disk management and my Asus K31ADE pc is in Legacy Mode and...
  7. MBR to GPT. UEFI issue HP laptop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    MBR to GPT. UEFI issue HP laptop.: I converted my disk from MBR to GPT using CMD. Now in bios I have selected UEFI and disabled legacy, but OS is not booting. How do I get it to boot?...
  8. new installation gpt not mbr

in Windows 10 Customization
    new installation gpt not mbr: I have assembled a new desktop computer that has eufi bios. My existing computer on which I am writing this question is a Legacy bios how do I get a win10 installed on the new one, as the "Media Creation Tool" copy won't work. Thanks Keith...
  9. Mbr on USB stick?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mbr on USB stick?: Hello everybody! It is about installing Kali Linux on a USB stick. A normal dual boot with two partitions would have GRUB in the mbr of the Hdd. I'm just not quite sure if if if I install Kali not on a second partition but on the USB stick, then GRUB in the mbr is...
  10. Convert MBR disk to GPT via uefi shell?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Convert MBR disk to GPT via uefi shell?: Hello! I did something terrible to my tablet, I converted the partition from GPT to MBR in a desperate try to install windows 7. Now tablet is not reading any usb I plug in, and of course I cannot format disk again because it doesn't recognize anything, always booting...