Windows 10: Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer

Discus and support Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I heard that defragmenting an SSD is a bad thing, as there is no benifit to it and it just stresses the Flash. but as it seems the drive optimizer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Proxy_PlayerHD, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer

I heard that defragmenting an SSD is a bad thing, as there is no benifit to it and it just stresses the Flash. but as it seems the drive optimizer doesn't defrag an SSD, which would be good if it would actually correctly detect an SSD.

my System has technically 1 SSD. the Boot Drive C:. but i also have an external SSD, which is mostly just connected to my PC, Z:.

the Boot Drive is corrected shown as an SSD in the drive optimizer, but the External one is not.

so far i've tried winsat formal winsat disk -drive:Z winsat diskformal chkdsk /f, just unplugging and replugging the drive. but nothing worked.

why can't i just manually change the medium type of drives? AFAIK Windows determines what the drive is based on a benchmark it does, why can't it just ask the user what type of drive it is?

submitted by /u/Proxy_PlayerHD
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Proxy_PlayerHD, Jan 3, 2021

2. Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

• Does the BIOS recognizes the disk as HDD or SSD?

Suggest you to set the Optimize Drives Service to start automatically from the services window to check if that helps.

1. Open the run window, type ‘services.msc’ and press Enter.
    2. Search for Optimize Drives Service and select the start-up type as automatic. Also ensure to start the service.

If you have set SATA controller to AHCI mode for Solid State Drive, in Device Manager it would show as SATA hard disk.

Follow these steps:

1. Click start, type “Defragment” and click “Defragment and Optimize your drives”.
    2. On the “Defragment and Optimize your drives” window. Make sure that your SSD is categorized as an SSD.
    3. If it’s not, then you can set it as a SSD on your bios. This way, you don’t have to exclude your SSD or disable any scheduled defragmentation.
    Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring
    of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Jan 3, 2021
  3. dopefish9 Win User
    Secondary HDD not found by Optimize and Defrag

Hello,

Upgraded to Win10 a few weeks ago. I have a 240G primary SSD (CWin10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer :) and 1TB internal secondary HDD (EWin10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer :), plus a 1TB external USB backup drive (JWin10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer :). I wanted to determine why the internal 1TB HDD seems to have some 'missing' space so I opened Optimize Drives.
    But Optimize Drives only lists the SSD (CWin10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer :), USB drive (JWin10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer :) and a System Reserved drive. It doesn't list the internal 1TB HDD.

So far my searches have turned up problems where extra drives aren't recognized at all, but mine works fine for everything else (I've moved Libraries there, created system images there, it shows in Explorer, etc.)

Edit: Device Manager indicates no issues with the drive. I've also right-clicked from Explorer > Properties > Tools > Optimize, and the list is still missing this drive.

Can anyone explain this or provide a solution?

Thank you!

Stephen

dopefish9, Jan 3, 2021
  4. JosephHW Win User

Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer

Windows 10, RAID 1, Optimize Shows HDD, not SSD

In my new Windows 10 desktop computer, (RAID 1, Two SSD's), I see Optimize shows "Hard Disk Drive", NOT "SSD", and I want to be sure defragmentation is not applied to these drives, instead of the proper TRIM utility. What need I do? I found a reply for
    this regarding Windows 8, but not sure how to proceed in Windows 10:

"

Created on October 30, 2013

SSDs Showing up as HDD in system - Windows 8.1 GA/RTM

I had this issue during the preview and it appears to happen again in the final version of 8.1 as well.

Somehow the system is incorrectly registering my 2x RAID SDDs as HDDs, which thus during the weekly "Optimization" runs a defragmentation on them instead correctly running TRIM instead. Which is quite frustrating to see it's still in the final product.

In my preview thread the suggestion to fix this was to run WinSAT (Windows System Assessment Tool) from Powershell. It worked during the preview to correctly identify my SSDs and it appears to work in the final version as well.

The description on how to run it from my previous thread:

"Usually the detection of SSDs can be forced by running the Windows Experience Index (= WEI, file name: WINSAT.EXE).

You may have to run Windows Experience Index to force windows to detect RAID SSD in Windows 8.1.2013

Follow these steps:

a. Press “Windows key + W” from the keyboard.

b. Type “Administrative tools” without quotes in the search box.

c. Select “Administrative tools” option from the list.

d. Then right click on “Windows PowerShell ISE” and select “Run as Administrator” option.

e. Type “WinSAT diskformal” without quotes in the PowerShell and hit Enter.

You will see:

“Win8.1 Preview - Manual execution of the Windows Experience Index.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)”.

f. Close “Windows PowerShell” and run Windows Optimization.

g. This should detect “RAID configured SSD on Windows 8.1."

I highly suggest if you have SSDs, especially in RAID, that you check the Optimize Drives interface to see if it's correctly identifying your drives and if it isn't to run WinSAT diskformal from PowerShell.

JosephHW, Jan 3, 2021
Thema:

Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer

1. Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer - Similar Threads - Win10 sees SSD

2. optimize ssd or not

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    optimize ssd or not: Hi, I'm reading all kind of things about obtimizing my ssd or not using Windows "Defragment and Optimize Drives". Apparently there is or was a bug with Windows wrongly degramenting the ssd. What should I do now ? Keep "Scheduled optimization" turned off for my ssds ? Or...
  3. SSD optimize

SSD optimize: I know this has been beaten to death. The answer seems to depend upon the person answering. I cannot figure out whether I should turn windows on or off and if on, for what frequency a month or a week. Thee is a lot of Google gossip that all SSDs should not be optimized then...
  4. SSD Optimization

in Windows 10 Customization
    SSD Optimization: I've recently had to install the 1903 Feature Update. I had delayed this by changing settings to indicate I was on a metered connection and Microsoft gave me the option to update. Eventually they must have lost patience and I no longer had the option. Previous Feature updates...
  5. SSD optimize

SSD optimize: I don't know anything about the SSD in my machine. I have Windows optimizer set for monthly as I thought we should do. Please correct me if I am wrong. Then I read the following and wonder if all this is necessary for the average user to treat the SSD properly? Things You...
  6. Optimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD

Optimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD: As a result it won't let me optimize the drive. If this helps I'm running fall creators update (1709) and the hard drive from device manager is specifically "Intel Optane+931GBHDD". 118761
  7. Optimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Optimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD: As a result it won't let me optimize the drive. If this helps I'm running fall creators update (1709) and the hard drive from device manager is specifically "Intel Optane+931GBHDD". 118761
  8. HDD Optimization problem

HDD Optimization problem: Hi, On my Windows 10 system I have an SSD, a reserved for system HDD and another HDD (F) where I store most of my games. Basically automatic weekly optimization is scheduled, but I just checked the hard drive (F) and it showed me 12% fragmentation saying "needs optimization"....
  9. Optimize SSD

Optimize SSD: Since I've installed a SSD, When I run Optimize it says never run-needs optimization. It will never run on it. Any suggestions? [img] 66691
  10. Win 10 Optimize Drives say I have SSD when in fact it is a HDD

Win 10 Optimize Drives say I have SSD when in fact it is a HDD: I was curious to see if my C: drive needed defragmenting so I opened Optimize Drives to find that my C: and partition D: all part of the same HDD are labeled as Solid State Drive but I do not have any *Shock. As can be seen from the screenshot The Analyze and Optimize buttons...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. diskformal afaik