Windows 10: Win10 shows HDD incorrectly as full. Thorough investigation

Discus and support Win10 shows HDD incorrectly as full. Thorough investigation in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I run windows 10 ver 1909. Problem is windows is incorrectly showing one hdd as being nearly full, which is my W: disk. See... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mikiff, Dec 29, 2020.

1. mikiff Win User

Win10 shows HDD incorrectly as full. Thorough investigation

I run windows 10 ver 1909. Problem is windows is incorrectly showing one hdd as being nearly full, which is my W: disk.
    See https://i.imgur.com/5lil1Bt.jpg

I noticed yesterday that it was nearly full, when it should only be about 50% full. I started asking around and googling and I've been going through a lot of investigation, but im not knowledgable enough to figure all details out.
    The only major things i've done with my hdd in the past days is
    1. Installing and playing Cyberpunk.
    2. Unpacking a ~45GB large winrar archive, but it failed due to no hdd-space left (this is when I noticed it all)

This is what I've tried so far>

* Any viruses? Probably not, windows and anti-malware found nothing. I also dont download Any shady files from untrusted sources.
    * Is my HDD actually full? No. Check with windir and spacesniffer (showing hidden files with admin rights), screenshot only windir but same results. See https://i.imgur.com/RqNUjas.jpg
    * I have done disk-cleanup, checked for errors via Properties and chkdsk /f and no errors or similar.
    * Changed hdd letter (from W to other)
    * I do not have Previous Versions settings on this or any of my 3 hdd's. Should not be any strange backup taking space.
    * DiskManager here , I dont know what the Disk 3. See https://i.imgur.com/wQKvq8v.jpg
    * Moved the 45GB folder with rar-archives to S: hdd. Space-error doesnt not appear or S: and is still seen on W:
    * No general errors anywhere on my PC. It's about 1.5 year old apart from the two HDDs which are 4-5 years old, but S: might be older.

Might have done some other thing but I cant remember right now.
    thank you in advance.

Once I go to bed I will move all my data to an external hdd, but that takes about 8-9 hours so Ive not done it yet.
    Probably will re format W: after that. I dont know if the error will persist after doing this.
    However Im very curious to find a real solution regardless!

:)

mikiff, Dec 29, 2020
  2. user33331 Win User

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Dec 29, 2020
  3. HDD in a HDD caddy is not showing up in the disk management

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• How are you connecting the HDD Caddy?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

If you are connecting the device using USB, I suggest you to check if other USB devices are recognized as USB devices or Other device. If it is displaying as other device, then the issue might be with the USB port. So, I suggest you to update the USB drivers
    by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus Controller.
    • Right click on the drive, select Update Driver Software and follow the on-screen prompts.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Dec 29, 2020
  4. Kem Mon Win User

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Win10 shows HDD incorrectly as full. Thorough investigation - Similar Threads - Win10 shows HDD

2. Win10 shows HDD incorrectly as full. Thorough investigation

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 shows HDD incorrectly as full. Thorough investigation: I run windows 10 ver 1909. Problem is windows is incorrectly showing one hdd as being nearly full, which is my W: disk. See https://i.imgur.com/5lil1Bt.jpg I noticed yesterday that it was nearly full, when it should only be about 50% full. I started asking around and...
  3. Help investigate a BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Help investigate a BSOD: BSOD happened and I lost my unsaved work, would like to know what has happened. Minidump: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah27DUgBfPB5kme9Ca8myjxGDheU?e=TqmFEz https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-investigate-a-bsod/b71451d9-8bf8-4f17-adc5-0034967ecab8
  4. Formatting a secondary internal HDD with Win10 pro: normal options not showing?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting a secondary internal HDD with Win10 pro: normal options not showing?: Hello friends and win10 gurus. This is my first time using win10pro Disk Manager. My interface is not showing the MBR and other normal options in the drop menus, when attempting to format an unallocated drive. The drive shows in Bios and disk manager, yet the only...
  5. 2nd hdd half free but apps show me that it is full

2nd hdd half free but apps show me that it is full: I'm getting a very annoing issue with my second hdd: It's a 927GB of hdd and I'm using 463GB. Few days ago Free Dowload Manager started to complain about the amount of free space. Then it stoped to works saying:There is not enough space on the disk I thought that it is...
  6. hdd not showing

hdd not showing: I have a 500 gb ssd as boot drive and 1tb mechanical hdd as backup drive. the 1tb does not show in file explorer or disk manager. help!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-not-showing/becd1520-d715-4a70-92a9-32402d94ed3b"
  7. WIN10 2TB HDD not showing up Disk management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WIN10 2TB HDD not showing up Disk management: Hey guys, I´ve been googeling this for a few days and can not seem to find the answer. So here goes... Problem: I have a 2TB seagate barracuda HDD that is not showing up in: - disk management - CMD -> diskpart -> list disk It does show up in: - device manager -...
  8. Win10. Seagate HDD not seen by Win10.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10. Seagate HDD not seen by Win10.: I have this Seagate SATA HDD that win10 doesn't see. Not anywhere. Device manager, disk management, nowhere. But run Seatools on the computer and it sees it okay and gives it a clean bill of health. Except it doesn't list it as 'ready to test' like it does all the other...
  9. Full win10 install on ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Full win10 install on ssd: Hi my actual os: Win 7. Home edition. Installed on hdd i have mounted a 120 g sandisk SSD in my desktop so i would like to install a FULL. (Not a update) win10 on my new ssd i disconnect my win7 hdd ( i want to keep this win 7 hdd) after, can i follow the...
  10. Nearly Full SSD VS HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Nearly Full SSD VS HDD: If i were to nearly fill my SSD, and it were to slow down. how would that perform compared to a non full HDD? would it make the SSD slower than the HDD? or would it still be faster? 9133