Windows 10: Win10 Signs-In Users After Sign-Out then Restart

Discus and support Win10 Signs-In Users After Sign-Out then Restart in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I have a fairly new 2 months Dell XPS 8930. I created 2 user accounts. If I use Start...User...Sign Out on either account, everything goes as... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by DerbyDad03#, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Win10 Signs-In Users After Sign-Out then Restart

I have a fairly new 2 months Dell XPS 8930. I created 2 user accounts.

If I use Start...User...Sign Out on either account, everything goes as expected and I am taken back to the Sign-In screen. If I then use the Power button in the lower right and choose Restart, the system restarts and then immediately signs in to whichever account had just signed-out.

Neither account has a password assigned, so the system simply presents the "Welcome" message and signs the account back in, presented the user's desktop.

There is no user set to "automatically log in after restart" via the control userpassword2 option. Besides, as I mentioned before, it happens with whichever user signed out last before the restart. Just to be sure that it wasn't related to that option, I toggled that switch to Off but it didn't make any difference.

If I want to leave the computer at the sign-in screen after a restart, I have to sign the user out again.

Is there any way to eliminate this annoying issue?

Thanks for any assistance that you can offer.

:)

DerbyDad03#, Mar 29, 2020
  2. jimhoyle Win User

How to troubleshoot an error that appears only at Restart or Sign out?

I get an error pop-up error message not every, but almost every time I Restart or Sign out. It's the screen with blue background and on top of Restart or Sign out text an error window says:

Explorer.exe - Application error. The instruction at 0x000… referenced memory at 0x000... The memory could not be written.

Sometimes the error code is just zeros, sometimes random numbers. I have tried so much already to troubleshoot this. For example these did not help in any way:
    • MemTest86+ (no problems)
    • Disabling any Services, Autoruns/ShellExView entries
    • Low resolution mode
    • BIOS settings are fine, no overclocking etc.
    • DISM.exe and sfc
    • etc.

However, these do make the error go away:
    • End process for explorer.exe before Restart or Sign out
    • Safe Mode
    • Creating a new user profile (almost the same as clean installing Windows, many full days of work)
    • Uninstalling NVIDIA graphics driver (then the card is unusable, of course)
    • Disabling Device Manager / Display Adapters / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

I already contacted NVIDIA and the graphics driver is not the culprit. Something has gone wrong with the user profile as the same driver works just fine in a new profile (and there's nothing wrong with the driver anyway, it's just the Restart or Sign out process that has a problem).

What can I do to fix this? One useful thing would be to have a step-by-step procedure for the Sign out. So that it'd ask before continuing to the next step and list what it's doing. Or if I could just disable whatever it does when the error appears.

jimhoyle, Mar 29, 2020
  3. Liberty Win User
    I want Windows 10 Sign-in Screen to show which users are signed in

Thank you for trying to help, but as stated in my post, "If you are already signed into an account, then you can look and see which users (if any) are signed in and there is no guesswork needed." This can be done as you described or (I think) through the Users tab in Task Manager.

The problem is knowing which users are signed in when you are at the Sign-in Screen. Windows 8.x used to say below a user's picture and name "Signed in". Windows 10 does not. If a signed in user Locks their account or if the PC is put/goes to Sleep or Hibernation and then you come along and want to restart or shutdown from the Sign-in Screen. In that case, Windows 10 tells you other users are signed in, but you have no way of knowing which users are signed in without first signing into one of the accounts.

Liberty, Mar 29, 2020
  4. Win10 Signs-In Users After Sign-Out then Restart

password sign in

Hi,

About your concern with typing the password after being idle, it is actually recommended to activate for security reasons.

If you wish to disable it, I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Settings.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Click on Sign in options.
    • On the right side, you will see required sign in.
    • Change it to Never.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Mar 29, 2020
Thema:

Win10 Signs-In Users After Sign-Out then Restart

1. Win10 Signs-In Users After Sign-Out then Restart - Similar Threads - Win10 Signs Users

2. Scaling changes to 100% after restart or sign out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scaling changes to 100% after restart or sign out: I have an Alienware X17 R2 running on Windows 11. I set a custom scaling to 115% as 100% is too small and 120% is too big for me. So I set a custom scaling which is 115%. However, this issue happens and it is the first for me. Whenever I restart or sign in into my PC, the...
  3. Scaling changes to 100% after restart or sign out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scaling changes to 100% after restart or sign out: I have an Alienware X17 R2 running on Windows 11. I set a custom scaling to 115% as 100% is too small and 120% is too big for me. So I set a custom scaling which is 115%. However, this issue happens and it is the first for me. Whenever I restart or sign in into my PC, the...
  4. Does On Start Programs works even after user sign out -sign in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does On Start Programs works even after user sign out -sign in: Hi, I have recently noticed that after I sign out from my user account, the programs that were in start up, fails to start. Could you please suggest me with any solution?...
  5. Does On Start Programs works even after user sign out -sign in

Does On Start Programs works even after user sign out -sign in: Hi, I have recently noticed that after I sign out from my user account, the programs that were in start up, fails to start. Could you please suggest me with any solution?...
  6. Does On Start Programs works even after user sign out -sign in

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. User sign out/sign in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User sign out/sign in: Do i need to sign out every time from one user to another? What if i keep both of them signed in? I need to sign out,only if the computer is running slow because both of em are using ram?...
  8. User sign out/sign in

User sign out/sign in: Do i need to sign out every time from one user to another? What if i keep both of them signed in? I need to sign out,only if the computer is running slow because both of em are using ram?...
  9. User immediately signed off after signing in.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    User immediately signed off after signing in.: My wife's name was spelled wrong in her Microsoft account. I edited it and now she can't log into her computer using that account. Her name did update to the one I changed it to on the computer before she put her password in. The computer took her password, spun, then...
  10. Windows immediately signs out after signing in

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows immediately signs out after signing in: Hey guys, For many months, I have been stuck on Windows release 1809 due to a troubling issue. Any time I have tried to upgrade to 1909, or to the current 2004, I have run into an issue where, following the update, if I put my PIN in to log in, it successfully accepts the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 user signed in after restart