Windows 10: Win10 stopped listing home network machines through SMB2 protocol.

Discus and support Win10 stopped listing home network machines through SMB2 protocol. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; A week or two ago (around NewYear 2019) my Win10 based laptop stopped seeing local network machines using SMB2 protocol. Accessing shares by explicit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Hale_ru, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Hale_ru Win User

Win10 stopped listing home network machines through SMB2 protocol.

A week or two ago (around NewYear 2019) my Win10 based laptop stopped seeing local network machines using SMB2 protocol. Accessing shares by explicit machine names works fine.

Before that I had no problems with listing active machine names. Nothing was changed from my side; but windows 10 updates itself without prompting, or telling what it plans to update... so probably it was damaged from Microsoft side.

SMB1 was disabled long ago.

There is a forced master browser NAS/Router with SAMBA working 24x7. SMB2 protocol is forced for shares. Higher SMB versions are not supported there. Domain controller features are not used - only master browser and WINS(nmbd). Access is based on user name/password in all the network. DNS (dnsmasq) is also configured for local network domain suffix. i.e. Both WINS and DNS fulfill dynamic LAN name resolution with no problems.

In windows 10 SMB2 seems enabled, but unable to get network resource listing from SAMBA master browser.

PS C:\windows\system32> Get-SmbServerConfiguration | Select EnableSMB2Protocol
    EnableSMB2Protocol
    ------------------
    True

When installing SMB1 client on WIn10, and allowing SMB1 in SAMBA, the network machine listing revives. But still, it is not correct, since SMB1 is deprecated and not supported by default in Windows anymore.

Is there a way to bring SMB2 LAN machine listing back to life on Windows 10?

:)

Hale_ru, Jan 11, 2019
  2. austwhite Win User

Network List

I admit I haven't had time to read through all the thread, but in case anyone wants to know, a solution is found.

Enable both SMB1 and SMB2 using PowerShell ISE. In y copy of Windows 10 I had Powershell and Powershell ISE installed by default (10 Pro).
    Powershell ISE has the cmdapplet required.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547

Follow the steps to enable both SMB1 and SMB2 and all works again. Looks like Win10 totally disables SMB1 by default with the latest builds, stopping a lot of Linux based machines showing in particular, but also stopping some windows machines showing up.

No restart I needed to test it, just refresh the "network" page after running the applet commands

austwhite, Jan 11, 2019
  3. MrWhoopee Win User
    MrWhoopee, Jan 11, 2019
  4. Win10 stopped listing home network machines through SMB2 protocol.

Network Protocols

You'll restart the machine at least once.
    Save any work, close open programs.
    Any unsaved work will be lost.

The run command quickly gets you to Network Connections

WinKey+R ncpa.cpl
    After each suggested solution, see the issue is resolved.
    If one suggestions fixes the issue, you do NOT have to do any of the other suggestions.

1. Run the built-in Troubleshooter
      Right click the network icon on the Taskbar
      Pick Troubleshoot problems
      Select Identify and repair network problems
      Follow instructions in the troubleshooter
    2. Reset networking
      Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
      Copy the lines in the code box below
      Right click in the Command Prompt window to paste

Code:
      Code:
      netsh winsock reset  netsh int ip reset  netsh int ipv4 reset  netsh int ipv6 reset  ipconfig /renew  ipconfig /flushdns
      Restart your machine
    3. Disable IPv6
      Open Network Connections
      Right click on the affected adapter(s) (Wifi, Ethernet, or each one of them)
      Select Properties
      Scroll down to Internet Protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
      Remove the check mark
      Press OK

Restart your machine
    4. Reinstall TCP/Pv4
      Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
      enter the following commands
      netsh int ipv4 install
      exit
      Restart your machine
    5. Restart Your Network Adapters
      Open Network Connections
      Right click the affected adapter(s) (Wifi, Ethernet, or each one of them)
      Pick Disable

Restart your machine

Open Network Connections
      Right click the affected adapter(s) (Wifi, Ethernet, or each one of them)
      Pick Enable
    6. Uninstall and Reinstall Your Security/Antivirus Software

Slartybart, Jan 11, 2019
Thema:

Win10 stopped listing home network machines through SMB2 protocol.

1. Win10 stopped listing home network machines through SMB2 protocol. - Similar Threads - Win10 stopped listing

2. How do you download SMB2 protocol into Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you download SMB2 protocol into Windows 11?: I am getting this Windows error message when I try to open up an external hard drive. "An error occurred while reconnecting Y: to \\MYCLOUDEX2Ultra\Public Microsoft Windows Network: You can't connect to the file share because it is not secure. This share requires the obsolete...
  3. How do you download SMB2 protocol into Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you download SMB2 protocol into Windows 11?: I am getting this Windows error message when I try to open up an external hard drive. "An error occurred while reconnecting Y: to \\MYCLOUDEX2Ultra\Public Microsoft Windows Network: You can't connect to the file share because it is not secure. This share requires the obsolete...
  4. The Mapped Network Drive could not be Created because:..obsolete SMB1 Protocol.. Needs SMB2?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Mapped Network Drive could not be Created because:..obsolete SMB1 Protocol.. Needs SMB2?: :..obsolete SMB1 Protocol.. Needs SMB2? What do I need to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-mapped-network-drive-could-not-be-created/a73634ee-8c44-4111-857c-b06038aadf17
  5. The Mapped Network Drive could not be Created because:..obsolete SMB1 Protocol.. Needs SMB2?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Mapped Network Drive could not be Created because:..obsolete SMB1 Protocol.. Needs SMB2?: :..obsolete SMB1 Protocol.. Needs SMB2? What do I need to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-mapped-network-drive-could-not-be-created/a73634ee-8c44-4111-857c-b06038aadf17
  6. Home Network Stopped

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Home Network Stopped: I have a Windows 8.1 HP computer named Bedroom, A Windows 10 HP computer named Lounge both connected via ethernet via router. I set up file sharing through the network sharing centre. I gave access to the relevant files and folders and everything worked fine. When I selected...
  7. aktivate SMB1 and disable SMB2 bei Win10

aktivate SMB1 and disable SMB2 bei Win10: Hallo Community, aktivate SMB1 and disable SMB2 bei Win10 ? ( Ich will mit Win10 auf einem Windows NT Prof. SP3 Druckerserver im Intranet mit SMB1 drucken: entweder muß ich bei Win10 SMB1 aktivate oder bei Win NT SMB2 aktivate ) Antwort:...
  8. Unable to locate network machines while using SMBv2 protocol

Unable to locate network machines while using SMBv2 protocol: A week or two ago (around NewYear 2019) my Win10 based laptop stopped seeing local network machines using SMB2 protocol. Accessing shares by explicit machine names works fine. Before that I had no problems with listing active machine names. Nothing was changed from my side;...
  9. Which protocol for accessing NAS in local network - Win10 HOME

Which protocol for accessing NAS in local network - Win10 HOME: Hello, i have after each WIN update problems with accessing my NAS - configured SMB it seems Microsoft is trying to disable SMB1 feature we have 4 PCs & NB's with MS WIN 10 HOME, with MS Office, etc... and is anoying each time looking for solution to make it work again...
  10. Network Protocols

Network Protocols: Problem trying to connect to internet on laptop, but all working as normal on desktop. Investigations revealed....one or more Network Protocols are missing on this computer, also Windows sockets registry entries required for network connectivity are missing....this on both...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fixed smb2 win10