Windows 10: Win10 suddenly putting laptop to sleep when set not to

Discus and support Win10 suddenly putting laptop to sleep when set not to in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I am running Win10 (and have been since I bought this machine back in September), currently up-to-date with the last system & drivers updates on April... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by angryemu, Apr 9, 2019.

1. angryemu Win User

Win10 suddenly putting laptop to sleep when set not to

I am running Win10 (and have been since I bought this machine back in September), currently up-to-date with the last system & drivers updates on April 2nd (1 week ago) and the last Win Defender definitions update on 4/8 (yesterday, technically).

My laptop was working just fine, even after the definitions update...until a short time ago. Suddenly I am finding my computer going to sleep on its own, after very brief periods of inactivity. If I am using an app (for example, right now as I type this in Opera), or if I move the mouse, it does not sleep; however, as soon as I stop it sleeps after anywhere between 2 and 5 minutes, and displays the lock screen upon waking - it's not even allowing enough time for the screensaver to kick in. I thought that maybe my machine had updated and rebooted, so I checked: there has not been an update that triggered this, as it was acting normally after the last update yesterday, which was in the middle of the day and was Windows Defender definitions only (the last system update was a week ago). I have verified that there have been no changes to any of my power, sleep/timeout, or screensaver settings.

Normal course of events when plugged in, like it is currently: screensaver will start after 10 minutes of inactivity; no lock screen on wake, and no automatic system sleep, hibernate, or shutdown, at any time. I can leave it running all night, which it will with the screensaver running and displaying for those several hours, and simply pick right back up where I left off in the morning, without having to enter my password or PIN.

I double-checked that my laptop is plugged in and that I didn't accidentally bump it (as my settings DO allow sleep when on battery) - both ends of the power cable are securely plugged in to their respective spots.

My power settings when plugged in are:

Screensaver: after 10 mins, no lock screen

USB selective suspend: disabled (this was necessary to keep my USB keyboard/mouse usable after sleep and without needing to reboot)

Screen timeout never

System sleep: never

System hibernate: never

Turn off hard disk: never

Allow hybrid sleep: off

Intel graphics power plan: maximum performance

Wireless adapter power saving: maximum performance

Lid close: do nothing (I have not touched the lid for several days - my laptop is connected to an external monitor (TV) via HDMI, due to having cracked the screen the day after purchase - DOH!)

Power button: hibernate

Sleep button: sleep (I have only a power button to my knowledge, and again have not touched in a VERY long time, no need!)

PCI Express link state power management: off

Minimum processor state: 100%

Maximum processor state: 100%

Turn off display: never

Again, my system has not received any Windows updates in the last week other than definitions for Windows Defender. It is plugged in, with the battery at 100%. All sleep/hibernate settings and other related power management settings are set to off/never when plugged in. The issue does not occur while using apps or moving the mouse, but does occur while idle, even though it's not supposed to be sleeping at all. I have not installed or updated any software, not even browser plugins or extensions, in the past several days. The issue only began approximately two hours ago, while I was out grabbing a bite to eat at the drive-thru down the street.

Searching the internet provided only old articles and posts from 2 or more years ago, and exclusively related to upgrading from prior versions of Windows (usually 7, but occasionally 8). I don't want to do a registry edit - and i shouldn't have to - just to fix this random problem that popped up with no obvious trigger or explanation.

I have rebooted once, which has not fixed the problem. I ran the powercfg command line utility as a couple threads had suggested; I have posted my results below.

HELP!!!

Win10 suddenly putting laptop to sleep when set not to 7b3f9308-0d8d-4f86-b3a4-6826596d91bd?upload=true.png

Win10 suddenly putting laptop to sleep when set not to [​IMG]

:)

angryemu, Apr 9, 2019

2. Display and sleep settings

Hi,

In order to help you with the issue about the display and sleep settings, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you tried the troubleshooting steps suggested by MVP Andre Da Costa? If you did, what were the results?
    • For us to avoid redundancy of the troubleshooting process, what were the other steps you have done to resolve the issue?

We look forward to your next post.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Apr 9, 2019
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    Windows 10 putting laptop to sleep too frequently

Hi Ian,

Kindly provide us the following information to better assist you:

• When did the issue start?
    • Any changes prior to the concern?
    • Does the issue happens only in battery mode or even if it's plugged in?
    In the mean time, access Power & sleep and check if settings are correct. To access
    Power & sleep, follow the steps below:

• Click the Windows logo (Start button).
    • Click the gear icon (Settings).
    • Select System.
    • Choose Power & sleep.
    We'll be waiting for your response.

Argel Obm, Apr 9, 2019
  4. davidhk Win User

putting laptop to sleep

I would like to ask a question or 2 to make sure I have all the facts. I apologise if my questions sound redundant.

1. How do you turn the laptop to Sleep ? Did you use the Power Options to set the Sleep mode ?
    2. To "wake up" the laptop from sleep, you need to hit one of the keys (any key) from the keyboard. Did you do that ?
    3. Is the battery always inserted to the laptop ?

davidhk, Apr 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Win10 suddenly putting laptop to sleep when set not to - Similar Threads - Win10 suddenly putting

2. Laptop restarts when put to sleep mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop restarts when put to sleep mode: For few weeks my windows 10 laptop cannot be put to sleep mode. When I close the lid or simply click on the sleep from the start menu, it goes to sleep but when I move the mouse or press anything to wake the laptop up again, it suddenly restarts itself. I have checked the...
  3. Laptop restarts when put to sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop restarts when put to sleep mode: For few weeks my windows 10 laptop cannot be put to sleep mode. When I close the lid or simply click on the sleep from the start menu, it goes to sleep but when I move the mouse or press anything to wake the laptop up again, it suddenly restarts itself. I have checked the...
  4. Laptop restarts when put to sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. laptop restart when I put laptop in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    laptop restart when I put laptop in sleep mode: hi everyone I am having issue with my laptop recently when I put it in sleep mode its do not turn on normally it show your pc ran into a problem window and then restart , I tried some troubleshooting steps like hard reset windows , upgrade window to 11 first I face issue in...
  6. laptop shuts down when put in sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    laptop shuts down when put in sleep: this started after dell put on bios update and windows updates. Dell does not respond. is there something you can help me with? Could this be a windows power issue? HELP...
  7. putting laptop to sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    putting laptop to sleep: steps to put my Dell Laptop to sleep when I am finished for the dat https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/putting-laptop-to-sleep/34898161-305a-4188-99a0-a59f33c640f5
  8. BSOD on laptop when putting it into sleep mode

BSOD on laptop when putting it into sleep mode: Been having this problem since yesterday,whenever I put my laptop in sleep(press power button) and close lid I come back after few hours to find it rebooted.After checking blue screen view I found that there was a BSOD,mainly two drivers watchdog.sys and dxgmms2.sys I used...
  9. BSOD When laptop put to sleep. ntoskrnl.wrong.symbols.exe

BSOD When laptop put to sleep. ntoskrnl.wrong.symbols.exe: Since upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 I have been having a recurrent BSOD when I put the laptop to sleep and once when restarting. From what I could gather from the dumps it is a ntoskrnl.wrong.symbols.exe error. Not entirely sure what is causing it. I believe I have all...
  10. putting laptop to sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    putting laptop to sleep: I was told by an IT Pro to put the laptop to sleep when I was done using it. Why then overnight at times i turn it on the next day and it is completely shut down, I must hit the power button to get it back on, who or why does this happen? 105593