Windows 10: Win10 ToGo on external mSATA not boot after enclossre change

Discus and support Win10 ToGo on external mSATA not boot after enclossre change in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello tenforums People! Have been using Win10 ToGo on an external USB mSATA drive for a while without any problems. Now I decided to put the mSATA... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by fannta, Mar 10, 2019.

1. fannta Win User

Win10 ToGo on external mSATA not boot after enclossre change

Hello tenforums People!

Have been using Win10 ToGo on an external USB mSATA drive for a while without any problems.
    Now I decided to put the mSATA drive in a new external USB mSATA housing since then it does not boot.
    In the beginning it did boot on 3rd or 4th attempt but since the it just stops without any error message.

As I am using an MS SP4 the Surface Logo appears, sometimes the dots rotate, sometimes the don't even appear after like 30-60secs the activity LED on the drive housing stays constanly on and nothing at all happes, just showing the Surface text.

Tried putting it back in the old enclosure and it works just fine.
    The drive in the new housing -in which it does not boot- works however flawlessly on a running system, now checkdisk errors.

What is interesting in the first few attempts it did occasionally boot, lets say 2 times in 10, but now nothing.

Any advice?

Bitlock and TPM are switched of.

:)

fannta, Mar 10, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Need some advice on an mSATA SSD swap

@EdTittel, You are welcome.
    Since you did not have the USB interface for mSata. You can make a backup copy of the 500GB to a regular external USB HD then:
    1. Replace the 500GB with the 250GB.
    2. Boot up Macrium rescue disk, select the image to restore and 250GB as destination
    3. Do steps 3-8 above

topgundcp, Mar 10, 2019
  3. Msata for pagefile

Was toying around with a cheap 32gb msata and have about 12 for pagefile and 18 for intel smart response, as usual getting the quick boot some read write speeds are iffy and hampered in some instances but improved on others.

I get at least a 30 second boot into windows with enhanced on ISRT 2600k@stock nt bad for 30 bucks worth off ebay.

• Main question is it less pressure on main hdd to have page file on a msata seems to be logically a good thing, i could be wrong?
    • Should i put page file back on hdd and dedicate it to the intel smart response technology?
    • Readyboost?

neoguyver1, Mar 10, 2019
  4. gygabite Win User

Changing boot hdd

I downloaded PartitionMagic8.0, but the partition i want to make is not bootable.
    So the system boots from the old, loud hdd, and when i unplug the old, it doesnt boot.
    Any advice or suggestions how to change boot hdd without reinstalling Winxp?

gygabite, Mar 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Win10 ToGo on external mSATA not boot after enclossre change - Similar Threads - Win10 ToGo external

2. Keyboard not working after dual-boot, but external keyboard and changing brightness with...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard not working after dual-boot, but external keyboard and changing brightness with...: Hi,I have a Windows 11 with a dual boot of Linux Ubuntu 22.04. I have had the dual boot for quite some time now over two years but rarely switch to Linux unless necessary. I recently switched to Linux from the boot menu and noticed my keyboard wasn't responding. I promptly...
  3. Keyboard not working after dual-boot, but external keyboard and changing brightness with...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard not working after dual-boot, but external keyboard and changing brightness with...: Hi,I have a Windows 11 with a dual boot of Linux Ubuntu 22.04. I have had the dual boot for quite some time now over two years but rarely switch to Linux unless necessary. I recently switched to Linux from the boot menu and noticed my keyboard wasn't responding. I promptly...
  4. External mSata ssd very hot.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External mSata ssd very hot.: Having tried HWiNFO64 to get temperature of external drive. = 53/54 Celsius Kingston mSata SUV500MS 480GB in aluminium enclosure via short cable to USB C/Thunderbolt socket. Machine uses AHCI. Task Manager shows ssd at gentle use but is nearly too hot to keep hand on casing....
  5. External drive name changed to boot.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External drive name changed to boot.: My external drive name recently changed to boot and I lost all of my files on it, I now cannot reinstall said files on my C drive. I deleted the files within the drive and nothing changed, the storage space also changed from 1TB to 252MB....
  6. Windows ToGo (Help Updating)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows ToGo (Help Updating): Hi all, So back in January this year i purchased a USB C hard drive enclosure and put a new 480GB SSD in it and i followed a guide on the internet to install Windows ToGo on to it. While i was following the guide at the time it mentioned it was not possible to update after...
  7. Installed Win10 on laptop and it doesn't recognize the mSATA SSD

Installed Win10 on laptop and it doesn't recognize the mSATA SSD: I've got a laptop with two SSDs - the main SATA SSD and a small mSATA SSD. I installed Win 10 to the main SSD (Win 10 installer could see both disks). Once Win 10 is installed, it no longer sees the mSATA SSD. In Disk Mgmt, I only see Disk 0 (the main SSD), which is...
  8. Added mSATA Accessibility

Added mSATA Accessibility: I added a Samsung EVO 860 mSATA 250GB as a second drive in the available mini PCIe slot that was designed for it in my Lenovo x220 laptop with windows 10 os. It shows up in device manager under disk drives correctly, but does not show up anywhere as a local or available...
  9. Error after booting up win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error after booting up win10: I am getting this error everytime i bootup windows 10. this started after i restored win 10 Please help! [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-after-booting-up-win10/bae47a44-b68a-4f38-b601-cdac9f45f071
  10. Win10 ToGo on external mSATA not boot after enclosure change

Win10 ToGo on external mSATA not boot after enclosure change: Hello tenforums People! Have been using Win10 ToGo on an external USB mSATA drive for a while without any problems. Now I decided to put the mSATA drive in a new external USB mSATA housing since then it does not boot. In the beginning it did boot on 3rd or 4th attempt but...