Windows 10: Win10 ToGo on external mSATA not boot after enclosure change

Discus and support Win10 ToGo on external mSATA not boot after enclosure change in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello tenforums People! Have been using Win10 ToGo on an external USB mSATA drive for a while without any problems. Now I decided to put the mSATA... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by fannta, Mar 10, 2019.

1. fannta Win User

Win10 ToGo on external mSATA not boot after enclosure change

Hello tenforums People!

Have been using Win10 ToGo on an external USB mSATA drive for a while without any problems.
    Now I decided to put the mSATA drive in a new external USB mSATA housing since then it does not boot.
    In the beginning it did boot on 3rd or 4th attempt but since the it just stops without any error message.

As I am using an MS SP4 the Surface Logo appears, sometimes the dots rotate, sometimes the don't even appear after like 30-60secs the activity LED on the drive housing stays constanly on and nothing at all happes, just showing the Surface text.

Tried putting it back in the old enclosure and it works just fine.
    The drive in the new housing -in which it does not boot- works however flawlessly on a running system, now checkdisk errors.

What is interesting in the first few attempts it did occasionally boot, lets say 2 times in 10, but now nothing.

Any advice?

Bitlock and TPM are switched of.

:)

fannta, Mar 10, 2019

2. VisionTek Releases mSATA SSD Enclosure

VisionTek Products LLC, (VisionTek), a leading manufacturer of award-winning, high-performance upgrades and accessories for PC and Apple Macintosh computers, today announced the immediately availability of the VisionTek mSATA mini Enclosure. The USB 3.0 bus-powered enclosure is a Plug and Play solution for re-tasking an existing mSATA Solid State Drive after upgrading the SSD in an ultra-slim notebook or for adding a new mSATA SSD to create a high-performance ultra-portable external drive.

The Pocket-Sized Portable Storage Powerhouse
    Sized smaller than a business card and weighing 0.30 ounces empty, the mSATA mini Enclosure features the SuperSpeed USB 3.0/2.0 interface to offer data rates up to 600 MB/s and a bus-powered design so an AC adapter is not required. To complement its performance and portability attributes, the mSATA mini's sleek, scratch-resistant aluminum housing provides rugged durability to safeguard a drive's data and comes complete with everything needed to start using and sharing HD movies, music, photos, and important documents wherever desired.

Win10 ToGo on external mSATA not boot after enclosure change VisionTek_mSATA_mini_Enclosure_01_thm.jpg

Win10 ToGo on external mSATA not boot after enclosure change VisionTek_mSATA_mini_Enclosure_02_thm.jpg

Three Step Easy Set-Up for Plug and Play Use with PCs and Macs
    The mSATA mini Enclosure offers a hassle-free driverless solution to creating a hot-swappable portable drive that works immediately with Windows XP and higher PCs, Macs running OS X 10.4 and higher, and Linux systems:
    • Unscrew the mSATA mini enclosure with the included mini screwdriver.
    • Insert a SATA I/II/III mSATA SSD.
    • Reassemble the enclosure and connect to a PC or Mac via the included USB 3.0 cable.
    The mSATA mini Enclosure, priced at $29.99 MSRP and backed by a three-year warranty, is available immediately from VisionTek, and will soon be available from select e-tailers such as Newegg, Tiger Direct, and Dell; as well as national distributors such as Ingram Micro and D&H. As a complete one-stop shop for ultra-slim notebook upgrades, VisionTek also offers award-winning mSATA SSDs up to 480 GB in capacity priced starting from $74.99.

Cristian_25H, Mar 10, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Need some advice on an mSATA SSD swap

@EdTittel, You are welcome.
    Since you did not have the USB interface for mSata. You can make a backup copy of the 500GB to a regular external USB HD then:
    1. Replace the 500GB with the 250GB.
    2. Boot up Macrium rescue disk, select the image to restore and 250GB as destination
    3. Do steps 3-8 above

topgundcp, Mar 10, 2019
  4. Win10 ToGo on external mSATA not boot after enclosure change

External enclosure

Need some suggestions on an external enclosure. Getting it for my dad, so I need something reliable that is not going to break or have some part of it stop working after a while.

Been looking at this Thermaltake unit. Would like to keep it no more then ~$40. Would go with some of the Rosewill enclosures, but from reading the reviews the reliability shows in the price.

Need something with at least eSATA as he doesn't have a computer with USB 3.0 at all.

Thanks in advance.

mastrdrver, Mar 10, 2019
Thema:

Win10 ToGo on external mSATA not boot after enclosure change

1. Win10 ToGo on external mSATA not boot after enclosure change - Similar Threads - Win10 ToGo external

2. Laptop won't boot from external m.2 SSD in enclosure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't boot from external m.2 SSD in enclosure: Hello all,I have a Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH with Windows 11 installed. I recently purchased a WD_Black 1tb SSD to upgrade from the SK Hyinx 256gb that came installed. Western Digital offers Acronis True Image software to clone the drives for free. In the Acronis instructions...
  3. Win10 always do check disk on my External Enclosure when startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 always do check disk on my External Enclosure when startup: Hi all, I have tired to find out the solution for my problem but no hope, so I post my question here to see if I have luck. I have an external enclosure (contained 2 hdds) and I mapped it to drive X: and Y: It worked fine at start. But one day, the window have the check disk...
  4. Can only boot windows in safe mode after moving nmve ssd to external enclosure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can only boot windows in safe mode after moving nmve ssd to external enclosure: I moved an nmve ssd with Window 10 Professional on it to an external enclosure outside of my laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme gen 2, hoping to boot from the usb type C port. Secure boot is off, and I can freely boot ubuntu and arch linux from the external enclosure different...
  5. Dynamode HDD enclosure not recognised by Win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dynamode HDD enclosure not recognised by Win10: Hi, Jon here. (First post. Running Win10 Pro X64, version 1909, on a Fujitsu desktop which originally ran Win8 - I wiped/reformatted the HDD and did a clean install of W10 from an official ISO). Several years ago I bought a Dynamode HDD enclosure and I connected a 320Gb HDD...
  6. Dynamode HDD enclosure not recognised by Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Dynamode HDD enclosure not recognised by Win10: Hi, Jon here. (First post. Running Win10 Pro X64, version 1909, on a Fujitsu desktop which originally ran Win8 - I wiped/reformatted the HDD and did a clean install of W10 from an official ISO). Several years ago I bought a Dynamode HDD enclosure and I connected a 320Gb HDD...
  7. External mSata ssd very hot.

External mSata ssd very hot.: Having tried HWiNFO64 to get temperature of external drive. = 53/54 Celsius Kingston mSata SUV500MS 480GB in aluminium enclosure via short cable to USB C/Thunderbolt socket. Machine uses AHCI. Task Manager shows ssd at gentle use but is nearly too hot to keep hand on casing....
  8. External Enclosure Bad drive

External Enclosure Bad drive: Well decided to check out from my old AMD FX system, the 2tb storage drive in the Mass Cool Enclosure, HDTune shows entirely red It went thru that error scan the fastest i ever seen it do one lol, not sure if false positive or what, but just in case, transferring the data...
  9. Problems With UASPSTOR and External Enclosures

Problems With UASPSTOR and External Enclosures: I have 3 external enclosures. 1 is a generic Element 3.0 non-UASP. 2 are UASP SYBA 25047 3.1 Gen 2 and ORICO 3.0 - don't know the model. I have 2 drives that I can switch into any of the enclosures. One is a Seagate 500GB HDD. The other is an ADATA SU800 SSD. I am at...
  10. Win10 ToGo on external mSATA not boot after enclossre change

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 ToGo on external mSATA not boot after enclossre change: Hello tenforums People! Have been using Win10 ToGo on an external USB mSATA drive for a while without any problems. Now I decided to put the mSATA drive in a new external USB mSATA housing since then it does not boot. In the beginning it did boot on 3rd or 4th attempt but...