Windows 10: Win10 Toolbars: is text to icons possible?

Discus and support Win10 Toolbars: is text to icons possible? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am curious to know if the text can be changed to icons only or even include icons. Cannot stand seeing all that toolbar text... If it's even possible... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by 10TonTek, Feb 24, 2017.

1. 10TonTek Win User

Win10 Toolbars: is text to icons possible?

I am curious to know if the text can be changed to icons only or even include icons. Cannot stand seeing all that toolbar text... If it's even possible or i'll just get TrueLaunchbar

:)

10TonTek, Feb 24, 2017
  2. mosaa Win User

Font/ icon size in Windows 10!

Thanks Pam6006 for your comment.

What you are suggesting is just for making the size of the icons in windows explorer or desktop bigger or smaller. It does not help with increasing the size of text in menus, toolbars, browser etc. Right now my problem is with small text and icons in menus,
    toolbars and browser menus. By default (100%) they are fixed on 9 points and you can not change them.

mosaa, Feb 24, 2017
  3. text in toolbar

Hi Ron
    Thanks so much for the prompt reply. I will try to answer:
    Right now the mail icon in the toolbar across the bottom of my screen says "Mail - vhuebert@liv..." and when I select the Google icon it says "Google - Google". I just want no text displayed on the toolbar when I select an icon.
    Thanks, if that does not answer your questions, please ask again.
    victor

VictorHuebert, Feb 24, 2017
  4. Win10 Toolbars: is text to icons possible?

Hi 10TonTek.

Interesting idea you have here. Currently I don't think there is an option to do this, probably because of the confusion with program launch icons already on the toolbar.

So you are probably best searching for a software that can do this for you. TrueLaunchbar sounds like a good alternative.

Personally I think it makes sense to have text instead of icons, but I can see how some folders could benefit from having their own icons.

You could always make desktop shortcuts/links which allow you to customise icons *Wink.

Also you could make links in the pop up menu for the File Explorer icon in the task bar (right click the File Explorer button to access.

ellellell1, Feb 24, 2017
  5. Michael Win User
    I was looking into achieving this a few years ago. At the time, the best I could find was this app: 7stacks

Michael, Mar 11, 2017
  6. Edwin New Member
    Inside the folder you wish to use as a toolbar, create a 'bogus' shortcut (1) that points to the folder itself, name it nothing by holding Alt and type 0160 on the numeric keypad release and press Enter, give it a desired icon;
    next, unlock Taskbar, hover on partition marker til you see a double sided arrow then right click to bring up the aux. menu, uncheck Show Text/Show Title (2,3), use Large Icons if you wish (4)(your taskbar gets really thick though!), Lock Taskbar (5)

Win10 Toolbars: is text to icons possible? [​IMG]

Edwin, Mar 11, 2017
  7. Michael Win User
    Clicking on that shortcut would just launch an explorer window, correct? Clicking the chevrons will give you the folder's contents in the form of a menu. I think that's the goal, but with an icon instead of chevrons and no text.

Pretty sure it's not possible without a 3rd party app.

Michael, Mar 11, 2017
  8. Edwin New Member

Unless you Shift/right click on the folder in question, 'Copy As Path' and paste that as the shortcut path.

Yes.

Edwin, Mar 11, 2017
  9. Edwin New Member
    K, if you want icons only, no text and eliminate the chevrons, you'll need to create shortcuts of all desired destinations, put them in a custom folder and use that folder as the toolbar, then expand the toolbar til the chevrons disappear.

Edwin, Mar 11, 2017
  10. Michael Win User
    Right, but they're still just shortcuts to explorer windows, not pop-up menus with the folder's contents as the chevrons currently provide. Again, the goal is menus, not windows.

Michael, Mar 11, 2017
  11. Edwin New Member
    Well, the OP didn't mention anything about transforming chevrons into 'jumplist' icons. If you can figure out how 3rd party apps do it, let me know! *Wink

Edwin, Mar 11, 2017
  12. Fafhrd Win User
    The toolbar changes folders into drop down lists automatically:

They are drop down lists for each subfolder - I changed Camera Roll Icon in Pictures to that of a camera instead of a plain folder - and drilled down thru Screenshots to find some accidental downloads that ended up there!
    However, the desktop toolbar takes you everywhere!

Fafhrd, Mar 11, 2017
  13. Edwin New Member

Still bugs me that you can't scroll inside those flyout menus! You have to pin point that tiny arrow at the bottom or top! *Confused

Edwin, Mar 12, 2017
  14. I agree, that arrow is pretty small *Tongue. Maybe a suggestion on the feedback hub may bring some customisation changes for this.

ellellell1, Mar 14, 2017
  15. Edwin New Member
    I just realized that QTTabBar jump lists are scrollable! Even on shortcuts from within the Recycling Bin!
    I like the 'hover previews' as well.
    And, by gosh, QTTabBar automatically takes on my Windows Blinds theme!

Edwin, Apr 23, 2017
Thema:

1. Win10 Toolbars: is text to icons possible? - Similar Threads - Win10 Toolbars text

2. Toolbar icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Toolbar icons: Hi Help My icons on my toolbar are cut in half. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/toolbar-icons/6cc2d490-6ff0-4775-9dc2-c8fbbd4906a8
  3. Toolbar icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Toolbar icons: Hi Help My icons on my toolbar are cut in half. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/toolbar-icons/6cc2d490-6ff0-4775-9dc2-c8fbbd4906a8
  4. Is it possible to change the win10 taskbar icon?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it possible to change the win10 taskbar icon?: What it says on the tin, just wondering if it's possible and how. Windows 10 v20H2 172792
  5. Icons on toolbar

Icons on toolbar: Lost my email icon on toolbar. How do I get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-on-toolbar/efd8df3c-a05c-412b-bb9e-6c9a66c1d7c0
  6. Is it possible to change the default icon of Text Document

Is it possible to change the default icon of Text Document: Hi. i'm wondering if its possible for me to change "Text Documents" default icon, because i really wanna make a change in my desktop. I already changed the folder icon and it looks really good but i couldn't find a way to change the Documents icon. When i press on the...
  7. Icons in toolbars

Icons in toolbars: Hello. I created a new toolbar from a folder named Shortcuts, and I want to replace its name with an icon. Is it possible? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-in-toolbars/a3e6ac87-429e-484c-8a19-012b15250469
  8. Change colors of toolbars and icon texts

Change colors of toolbars and icon texts: How can I change the colors of toolbars, text in toolbars? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-colors-of-toolbars-and-icon-texts/2842acb3-f56f-430e-8f24-83fda8fa0a19
  9. Win10 desktop icon text colour

Win10 desktop icon text colour: Hi, i have a problem i have seen commented on many time going back several years so i am hoping MS has finally fixed the problem. The text for the desktop ICONs is white and almost unreadable when there is a light screen. I run three monitors as a CAD designer and have...
  10. Toolbar small icons don't display text

Toolbar small icons don't display text: This happens when i use the show text option on small icons [ATTACH] Is there any way to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/toolbar-small-icons-dont-display-text/39aa45fa-7430-43c8-b189-d5bbf0c1d5cf