Windows 10: Win10 Unusable Resolution.

Discus and support Win10 Unusable Resolution. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Earlier this year I bought and installed Windows 10 on a desktop computer and, up until 8/13/20, the computer had been running fine at a resolution of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by EricGuerrero3, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Win10 Unusable Resolution.

Earlier this year I bought and installed Windows 10 on a desktop computer and, up until 8/13/20, the computer had been running fine at a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

On 8/12/20, windows forced and update on the OS. The next morning I turned my PC on and it finished installing the updates. Part way through the day I turned it off, left for a few hours, came back and turned it back on. Then, and since then, the computer's resolution has been stuck at a maximum of 1024 x 780.

All icons are overly sized and the image including streaming video is squished/deformed. Additionally, restarting the computer often results in a black screen after the motherboard's splash screen roughly every other time. Oddly, these problems do not appear present when the PC is connected to another monitor our living room tv via the same HDMI.

I can not change my resolution through either the Settings - Display menu or Advanced Display Settings as ALL MENUS only show a maximum resolution of 1024 x 1080.

I have repeatedly uninstalled and reinstalled my NVIDIA GeForce GT1030 driver ver.451.67 before the error & ver.452.06 as of 8/17/20, as well as my monitor's driver Generic Non-PnP, although the forced OS update was the only recent change that had been made.

I have rolled back my computer to before the update, re-updated it, rolled it back again and re-updated it again with no improvements in the interim.

I have removed my GPU and re-installed it.

I have turned it off and on again.

I have unplugged it and plugged it back in.

I have spent $99.99+tax on a legal copy of Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit OS.

:)

EricGuerrero3, Aug 18, 2020
  2. jhearcht Win User

Win10 screen resolution

I recently upgraded my new Dell Inspiron mini-tower from Win8.1 to Win10. I noticed that icons on the desktop were chopped-off on the left side of the screen. So I tried various screen resolutions to make the display better fit the 17" monitor. Win10 kept suggesting that the normal resolution was 2040x1152, but the identical display on my old XP computer is at 1280x1024. When I finally tried the suggested resolution, the screen went black and only an error message was seen : "analog input. Windows cannot display this resolution". Unfortunately, with no display I was unable to go back to the original resolution. So I ended up wiping the hard drive and reinstalling Win8.1 before I could upgrade again to Win10.

Now I'm back to square one. And the icons are still chopped off. I tried the display slider at 125% scale, but that didn't help. I would appreciate any suggestions for getting my monitor to display all of the content without getting too small, or slicing off the edges. As I said before 1280x1024 looks good on XP. Thanks for your support.

jhearcht, Aug 18, 2020
  3. Resolution?

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you want to change the screen resolution in Windows 10. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

Before we proceed, we require more information to assist you better.

• What are the options you are getting?
    • How exactly are you trying to change the screen resolution?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to change the screen resolution.

• Right click on desktop.
    • Select Display settings.
    • Click on Advance display settings.
    • Under resolution drop down, you can select the option 1600x900.

Hope this information is helpful. For any further assistance on Windows, feel free to post your query on Microsoft Community Forum.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Aug 18, 2020
  4. NafrCar Win User

Win10 Unusable Resolution.

Screen resolution problem on Dell laptop after installing Win10!

I was upgrade to Win10 yesterday,and yes I saw that tutorial but the problem is that I don't have option to change resolution higher than 1024x768.The same resolution is "List all modes" option.On Win7 everything is working fine and I was able to change resolution to 1920x1080.

NafrCar, Aug 18, 2020
Thema:

Win10 Unusable Resolution.

1. Win10 Unusable Resolution. - Similar Threads - Win10 Unusable Resolution

2. Win10 Laptop Boots but completely unusable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Laptop Boots but completely unusable: My 2020-ish Lenovo idea pad 5 has stopped working pretty much entirely. When it boots, the screen flashes red, same colour as the taskbar about every second for a second see attached It does take up the entire screen evenly but my camera didn't pick it up. All icons disappear...
  3. Win10 Laptop Boots but completely unusable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Laptop Boots but completely unusable: My 2020-ish Lenovo idea pad 5 has stopped working pretty much entirely. When it boots, the screen flashes red, same colour as the taskbar about every second for a second see attached. I did monetarily get the computer to stop flashing, but I had very limited access, and:...
  4. Win10 Laptop Boots but completely unusable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 Laptop Boots but completely unusable: My 2020-ish Lenovo idea pad 5 has stopped working pretty much entirely. When it boots, the screen flashes red, same colour as the taskbar about every second for a second see attached. I did monetarily get the computer to stop flashing, but I had very limited access, and:...
  5. Win10 TEMP folder is corrupted and clogged and unusable

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 TEMP folder is corrupted and clogged and unusable: The TEMP folder on my PC laptop cannot be opened because it is "corrupted." Is it OK to (1) rename that folder to TEMPDELETE, (2) create a fresh TEMP folder, and then (3) delete TEMPDELETE? I've read how to create a batch file to automatically clear out the TEMP folder on...
  6. Removing Unusable Accounts from "Insider Win10"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Removing Unusable Accounts from "Insider Win10": Dear MSCA I would like to know why there are no tools to remove accounts from the settings window and where are these tools? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removing-unusable-accounts-from-insider-win10/8080a5c5-14b1-452a-bf8f-c74102df452d
  7. Resseling RETAIL unused WIN10 license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Resseling RETAIL unused WIN10 license: Hello, I have opportunity to legally buy approx 100 pieces of Windows 10 Retail licenses for a fair price. I have a company that can trade inside EU. Question is if I legally buy Retail licenses and get paycheck for purchase that will be addressed on my company , can I...
  8. Win10 install only partitioned unused disk.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 install only partitioned unused disk.: I had an outdated Win7 license and installed a new licensed version of Win10. It looks like the install only partitioned the unused disk and kept the old Win7 copy. I wanted a clean full install (not a potential dual boot) How do I repartition the drive to use the entire...
  9. Win10 screen resolution

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Win10 screen resolution: I recently upgraded my new Dell Inspiron mini-tower from Win8.1 to Win10. I noticed that icons on the desktop were chopped-off on the left side of the screen. So I tried various screen resolutions to make the display better fit the 17" monitor. Win10 kept suggesting that the...
  10. How to change resolution in Win10

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How to change resolution in Win10: Hi, This is my first post in Win10 after much help in the Win 7 forum. How do I change the resolution in Win 10 64? And, how do I access help in this OS? As info: I'm old fashioned, so I got rid of all of those blue "apps" that are in the START menu. Perhaps there...