Windows 10: Win10 Update 2004 broke indexer "disable backoff" setting?

Discus and support Win10 Update 2004 broke indexer "disable backoff" setting? in Cortana to solve the problem; Noticed a change in the behavior of the search indexer after the Win10 2004 update. I have "Disable indexer backoff" set to "Enabled" via gpedit.msc.... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Haraldsborgvej, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Win10 Update 2004 broke indexer "disable backoff" setting?

Noticed a change in the behavior of the search indexer after the Win10 2004 update.

I have "Disable indexer backoff" set to "Enabled" via gpedit.msc. Before the update, this would force the indexer to run continuously until indexing was done--even if the PC was in use or the screen has turned off but the PC is running. This was what I wanted.

After the update, the indexer runs when the PC is in use, but goes into reduced performance mode when the screen is turned off via the power/sleep settings. This is NOT what I want; I want the indexing to finish as quickly as possible, especially when I'm away from the PC and the screen is turned off.

Is there a way to make the indexer continue at full speed even when the screen turns off?

Thanks much!

:)

Haraldsborgvej, Jun 24, 2020
  2. possom2009, Jun 24, 2020
  3. Vivian_S Win User
    Windows 10 Indexer Backoff

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are trying to disable the Indexer Backoff through Group policy.

The registry location for this feature would be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search

If the policy is not enabled, then you will only see “Default” value on the right side of the hive.

If you do not see a value, right click on the blank area for Windows Search key, select New and create a DWORD.

Name: DisableBackoff

Value: 1

Note: Before proceeding, make sure to create a System Restore point on the computer.

Important: This method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection,
    back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/322756/how-to-back-up-and-restore-the-registry-in-windows

However, for queries related to Group Policies and Advanced Indexing options, let me help in pointing you in the right direction. You can post your query in
    TechNet Forums where you will find professionals with expertise on GPO,
    and that would be the appropriate forum for this query.

As reference, you may be interested to check the following articles:

Search indexing in Windows 10: FAQ

Supercharging Windows Search

Regards,

Vivian S

Vivian_S, Jun 24, 2020
  4. user33331 Win User

Win10 Update 2004 broke indexer "disable backoff" setting?

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Jun 24, 2020
Thema:

Win10 Update 2004 broke indexer "disable backoff" setting?

1. Win10 Update 2004 broke indexer "disable backoff" setting? - Similar Threads - Win10 Update 2004

2. Win10 to 11 update broke OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 to 11 update broke OS: So last night windows decided to update wihtout asking and woke up to srttrail.txt error and an infinite repair loop, i couldnt access safemode by any means.Pretty much tried everything and had to do a fresh install of win11 after it.Now im having a problem that the windows...
  3. Win10 update broke computer speaker

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 update broke computer speaker: Windows 10 Home The September update disconnected my Logitech Z337 computer speakers. When I turn it on, the speaker icon says "no speaker connected". The driver is up to date, and the speaker appears in Control Panel. Sometimes, the speakers will start working, but next...
  4. Win10 update 2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 update 2004: Beim Update auf win10 2004 kommt die Fehlermeldung 0x80242016. was soll ich tun https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-update-2004/0c0cbcb0-f31f-4073-8772-5d89278bd74a
  5. Power User Menu links broke after Win10 2004 update.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Power User Menu links broke after Win10 2004 update.: Version 2004 OS Build 19041.421 After updating to version 2004 the Power User Menu has reduced operability which was observed on 2 separate machines. Not all the links are working. Links that point to the Window Settings windows are okay. The broken links all point to the...
  6. 2004 Update broke wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    2004 Update broke wifi: After the 2004 update my Wifi has square boxes in the icon. The 2G network connects and is secured but no network THe 5G connects fine but it is slow as it is further away. I have updated the adapter which is intel ac 9560 to the latest driver. No go, then uninstalled and...
  7. Windows 10 Indexer Backoff

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Indexer Backoff: I have done this many times before and am not sure why it isn't working. I just got a new laptop and installed the latest version of Win10, 1909. After installing office and setting everything up, I typically turn off the indexing back-off group policy to allow my stuff to...
  8. Indexer Backoff - Enable or Disable in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Indexer Backoff - Enable or Disable in Windows 10?: Is there a way to do this in windows 10? Indexer Backoff - Enable or Disable in Windows 7 - Windows 7 Help Forums 25920
  9. Fall Creator's update (1709) broke the program index

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creator's update (1709) broke the program index: I got the Fall Creator’s update recently, and it somehow broke Windows’ indexing of programs. I'm currently on Winver: 1709 (OS Build 16299.64). Before the problem: Windows 10/drive C: is installed on a 250GB SSD, but most programs are installed on a conventional 640 GB...
  10. Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff in Windows How to Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff in Windows [img] Information By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed. The index uses the Windows Search service and runs as...